Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

Auction results/Mail call surprise!!!3855

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Just have to share this with some people who will appreciate it!

So I'm a sucker sometimes, I admit. I will bid on online auctions without really knowing the full contents and condition of the comics in the lots. I usually can see some nice books, so I'm not flying totally blind, but then again, the books can look better in a picture than in person (missing backs, coupons, centerpages, etc).

So I just bought 2 lots, mostly because I saw some nice early Justice League of Americas and Journey into Mystery, as well as some early Defenders (what with the show coming up, why not?). Won them, get them - and the JIM are a bit rough, but JLA's are nice (including #7).

Also found it nice there were some early Captain Marvels, and then here are some of the other nice books.

There's a New Mutants 87, but gold and in rough shape, and then the rest of the comics aren't so great - was hoping for some other Silver age books (there are a few, but nothing spectacular) when I come across this nice issue:

I'm thinking, ok, thats nice. But still not so excited about my purchase. Then this issue pops up out of no where!

Solid 6.5, maybe better. Suddenly I'm very happy with my purchase . . .

It doesn't happen all the time, and usually don't get such a big surprise, but this made my day.

Thanks for reading!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@QuaBrot Nice pick up.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@QuaBrot eBay?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck no, I usually troll online sites that show brick and mortar auction house listings - get some interesting groups that way.

I will be listing most of these (except Iron Man 55, which I will send for grading at some point) so if anyone wants to make a reasonable offer I will entertain it - my eBay name is the same as my screen name here (Qua-Brot) so you can see if I am trustworthy (or not) by that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jakernaught private msg quote post Address this user
Quite a score indeed! Rare in this day and age where anyone can learn the value of anything with a few keystrokes. Seems someone didn't do their homework! Congrats!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Sweeeeet! Great pickup!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakernaught
Quite a score indeed! Rare in this day and age where anyone can learn the value of anything with a few keystrokes. Seems someone didn't do their homework! Congrats!

@Jakernaught Maybe they did do their homework. Depends on how much the auction closed for.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck they didn't do their homework - auction total for 3 lots (one unrelated to comics) plus premiums plus shipping was much less than the value of Iron Man 55 in 6.0 alone.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot Nicely done then.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations, very nice acquisition.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
One for five so far but I won this one tonight:

Post 12 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
More Winnings (lost many more than I won):

Got the #2 Crippen D in the last auction:

Post 13 IP   flag post
@drchaos nice haul!!! I liked that Club 16, was looking at it (not to buy, just appreciating it).

Hope you got good deals!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
@drchaos nice haul!!! I liked that Club 16, was looking at it (not to buy, just appreciating it).

Hope you got good deals!

Thanks! If you want to see the #2 it is already up in my Ebay store.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@drchaos what's your eBay name?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Another winner:

Post 17 IP   flag post
Two more winners

Post 18 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot

Try coreyinkeasbey or saddleriver comics

You can also search for my Lock and Key 4 CGC 9.9 SS
Post 19 IP   flag post
Two more winners

Post 20 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@everybody Great scores!

@drchaos Luv that Club 16
Post 21 IP   flag post
More winners:

Post 22 IP   flag post
@drchaos There were a lot of nice books in this auction. I wish I had the extra $. Some of the bids appeared pretty low.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@drchaos There were a lot of nice books in this auction. I wish I had the extra $. Some of the bids appeared pretty low.

Every third monthly auction is the bug Event auction. Last month had the big books but if you spent some time doing homework there were plenty of bargains in this one as well.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Last one for tonight:

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Every third monthly auction is the bug Event auction. Last month had the big books but if you spent some time doing homework there were plenty of bargains in this one as well.
I agree. I looked it over pretty good and there appeared to be some real steals.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Last one for tonight:

you've been a busy shopper. Some awesome books there! I particularly like the Giant Size Defenders 3.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@GeeWiz All of the graded books will be up on eBay in a couple weeks.
Post 28 IP   flag post
More wins, will batch these up for easy viewing:

Post 29 IP   flag post
Another bidder was fighting like mad trying to steal my GI Joes:

Post 30 IP   flag post
600813 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?