Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Does anybody here collect vinyl records?3824

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I just got sucked into the rabbit hole due to me buying the Barnes and Noble exclusive Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 record player so I picked up a few records. I refuse to rebuy music I already own (ie., apple itunes store or previously owned cds, cassettes, etc) so I wanted to buy records for music I listened to as a kid that I don't own any longer.

Here's some I picked up recently...the only rule breaker was Sublime. My first record had to be Sublime. I have a sad sub tattoo on my left elbow.

Here's some LPs I picked up over the weekend. My wife loves the movie Eddie and the Cruisers so I had to pick up that one...

Any tips, hints, or suggestions about records? Storage? What to look for? Anything related? Hobbyists?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not so much collecting as just basically took my parents stuff and of course what I bought. 1st CD came out 1986 so I was 12 and of course took a while for CD's to replace vinyl so I was buying it all the way through high school.
As with anything store in a "cool, dry space" also store up right of course, flat and they will warp, too hot warp, too wet - warp (also sleeves get ruined). There are collectors out there - first pressings, what condition and all that. I just buy what I like listening to
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Have some vinyl for tv music & the record versions of FF #1, Avengers #4 & Amazing Spider-Man #1 from Golden Records. (being older means you've seen lots of baby steps from different companies.)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Kaptain...you are in luck...I am a record collector since I was 13+.

My first 45 I bought was the theme song from Laverne and Shirley....LOL.

I no longer have that record.....I don't think so...but who knows, huh?

Any how....I like your choices...not so much if those were the prices though....hehehe....

You can't go wro,g with the Floyd or the Sex Pistols or the Famines...great music on those.

I liked the cable movie E&TC....Beaver Brown band has got some good stuff going on....not that valuable.

The U2 cut looks a bit worn on theoutside, hopefully the vinyl is in better condition.

I would also suggest the live recording "Rattle and Hum".

Sublime...awesome pick...love that shite.

Unfortunately, the Ziggy Stardust is a reissue....otherwise...you can't go wrong with it, especially if being Bowie. Look out for "Diamond Dogs", the cover that shows his "genitals" on the wraparound cover..,,that is a gem.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't collected vinyl since the '90s. Wish I still had my original releases I sold back in 2004 due to hard times. One album in particular I accidentally sold with the batch was "Trapeze - Medusa" that I had autographed by all 3 band members. Eventually they dissolved and moved on to join other bands....

Mel Galley - guitars (Whitesnake)
Glenn Hughes - vocals, bass (Deep Purple)
Dave Holland - drums (Judas Priest)
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wow that's awesome - but sad you no longer have it
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I collect Glen Miller records. I know old music but I like that kind of music. Lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Love me some vinyl. Basically, don't let'em get too hot or too cold. Stick to what you love, no sense wasting good comic book money on somethin you'll never listen to. Here's a slice of my collection, Lateralus from TOOL is my pride n joy.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Arikhan private msg quote post Address this user
My wife is the vinyl collector in the house. I just picked up the Radiohead OK Computer vinyl reissue for her for her birthday. Good unreleased stuff on there.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Part of Eddie and the Cruisers was filmed in a junk-yard about 10 minutes from me. South jersey ain't got much more than that to brag about👹
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikhan
My wife is the vinyl collector in the house. I just picked up the Radiohead OK Computer vinyl reissue for her for her birthday. Good unreleased stuff on there.

I thought about buying that one today actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff
Stick to what you love, no sense wasting good comic book money on somethin you'll never listen to.

which is why I want the vinyl to be something i can truly enjoy in that vein
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Store them standing up. Keep them in climate control and careful when handling.

If you lay them flat and stacked you get scratches and that the album leaves a circular crease in the cover.

Always store them in their sleeve.

Be sure to listen and enjoy.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing beats the rich warm sound of a clean lp traveling through an Audio Technica stylus with dual magnets.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Find a store by u that participates it but 1 day in the spring and on black friday theres an event called RECORD STORE DAY!! There's several limited releases. 45s,78s,lps,even some cassetes.ALL genres of music.some numbered,some signed,diff colors,singles,box sets,new music,re-issues...
Post 14 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
This series was a good combination of print and sound.

mm
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector ComxDlr private msg quote post Address this user
I wont comment on how many albums and 45's I have as it might incriminate me Ufh.. I dont know that i could even estimate how many hahaha. I do have some really nice DJ only promo stuff that I think are really cool.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
My sons hooked me up with a newer record player, receiver and tied it into multiple speakers we own for my birthday last year. I primarily play the same albums over and over because they just sound so dam good. Steely Dan: Can't buy a thrill, Steve Miller: Fly like an eagle and Rush: Moving Pictures.
Post 17 IP   flag post
So...I been looking locally for these records so after second bourbon I have these coming now from ebay. Very, very cheap btw, less than $8-10 each. The Poison album turns out is very difficult to obtain a first pressing of Flesh and Blood. That one was $25.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few in my Hall of Fame. I have 250 to 350 albums hanging around. Plus extra things.

Post 19 IP   flag post
I think you just beat us all in this thread wow
Post 20 IP   flag post
Been to a lot of concerts in my time but the best was ACDC. 5 times and loved them. The Cars was live from picture and Wolf at concert signed album. The ACDC poster was signed at live concert and was the best day ever.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a record collector but I have a few of the star trek story 45's and a few batman book and record sets (similar to Martymann's Frankenstein) I'd be willing to let go if anyone is interested in them.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Who likes Lip Jager (just picking) The sword i have is from Heavy Metal II (only 3000 made and engraved on sword) Still looking for sword from Heavy Metal I. Only made a few of them made to.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I have a few Batman records too in the hangar. I should dig them up now. on a side note, I'm LOVING this Ramones LP. HEY, HO, LET'S GO!
Post 24 IP   flag post
I have a few Bat comics signed from Adam West 15 or 20 years ago. Sweet guy and had a great voice. I know because he song a sweet song to my wive once. Going to miss him
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I gave away most of my records to a friend. I kept a few things that were harder to find or more odd. I was into metal and hard rock mainly. I kept a few singles too. Unsually, the things I kept had bonus tracks that were non-LP. I kept some picture discs, but they have yellowed over time. I'm glad I didn't buy more.

LOL! I did a really lousy job of stitching two partial scans on that one.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Brian Johnson sings "For Those About to Rock" live on this release back in '82 or so.

Post 27 IP   flag post
The album sleeve on this is leather.

Post 28 IP   flag post
This is like a greatest hits of Styx... a Japanese release..

Post 29 IP   flag post
A German release of Dokken's first album. It has some studio tracks that were swapped out on the American release. One song has different words.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600848 114 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?