Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

eBay Grab Bag Experiences?3379

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I've seen these type of auctions popping up a lot. ebay Auction Technically they are against eBay "Chance Listing" rules but they are everywhere.

Was interested if any of you have bought one of these grab bag auctions before? What was your experience?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
I have tried three of these, all from supposed experienced and apparently well thought of suppliers; all were duds. Further to this I canvassed a few of my contemporaries and found this to be commonplace.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@RRO Did you get comics equal to the price you paid? Could you give me an example?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Them some convoluted highfalutin rules there.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I am not going to name names or divulge too much but:
#1. A "guaranteed" mix (key book, semi key book, certain quantity, certain ratio, no duplication. result no key book, one semi key over-graded incorrect ratio.
#2 & 3. Both less quantity than promised, all supposed to be at a minimum grade but most were not, one batch was so badly/hurriedly packed (including interior tape across the tops of several books) that it was a success just to receive the package.
Not going this route again.
Very best of luck to anyone using this system, I hope you all have better success.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@RRO So basically the rip-off I assumed they are. Thanks for the feedback.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I've tried a couple where a list of keys were provided with a guarantee one would be randomly included In the shipment. Of course the list included 2 or 3 higher value keys (like the iconic #12 Batgirl/harleyquin). But who knows if those are really ever sent out? My orders included high grade well packed but very common comics. The one key was a signed copy (sorry forgot the title) and was in great shape. I looked it up and the value was decent but not action comics 1 level. Overall I cannot recommend these grab bags. I am a gambler (can't say 100% I'll never take another swing) but I like much better odds.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If it's too good to be true...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@RRO Did you get comics equal to the price you paid? Could you give me an example?

Forgot to add that the guaranteed key etc. lot value came in about 130% of amount paid, the other two (based on current market at the time) somewhat less than.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Seen them...avoided them.

I can have better luck at my LCS and even then, I get to choose my grab bsg of books myself.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Reminds me of the "SUPER 8" lots from Dynamic Forces. Bunch of $5 comics and a $30 graded cgc 9.8 of a comic no one cares about. Waste of time/money/space/energy.
Post 11 IP   flag post
598061 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?