Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Membership at both CBCS and CGC a dumb idea?2791

Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
Im starting to realize this may be the way to go. Both have some strengths and weaknesses.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think it really depends on how many books you will submit. I myself do no more than 2 or 4 per year which makes CGC more attractive as the $150 cost is offset by the $150 credit. With CBCS the bronze is $100 but you only get $72 in coupons, the Silver is $150 for faster services that I am not really interested in. CBCS's real selling point for me is the VSP red label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I think it really depends on how many books you will submit. I myself do no more than 2 or 4 per year which makes CGC more attractive as the $150 cost is offset by the $150 credit. With CBCS the bronze is $100 but you only get $72 in coupons, the Silver is $150 for faster services that I am not really interested in. CBCS's real selling point for me is the VSP red label.
Kind of wish CBCS would just do the credit thing also. The two day modern and the quick passes don't really appeal to me although I did use them just so they didn't go to waste. I for one have a paid membership to both and I have constant turmoil in which company I want to use for which books. I wish CBCS would just hurry up and give us a census and registry, be more competitive on pre-75 books and promise not to change the label or slabs for at least five years.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I have a CGC membership and just signed for the bronze here. I wasn't sure about the turns because the lingo was so cryptic on the comparison sheet. what kinda turn time advantage does the Silver have over the bronze?

I also want to take advantage of the red labels since in the same situation I'd be getting a green at CGC.

So now I learn CBCS doesn't have a registry?! Wow my due diligence was horrible on this one.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbogyrater
I have a CGC membership and just signed for the bronze here. I wasn't sure about the turns because the lingo was so cryptic on the comparison sheet. what kinda turn time advantage does the Silver have over the bronze?

The turnaround times are the same. You just receive different e- coupon perks for the different tiers of membership.

Quote:
I also want to take advantage of the red labels since in the same situation I'd be getting a green at CGC.
The Red labels are great they verify the signature. Just keep in mind there is no pre-screening for red labels

Quote:
So now I learn CGC doesn't have a registry?! Wow my due diligence was horrible on this one.
You mean CBCS right? One word on this ----Soon
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yes, thanks JW for the correction...I would've got a warning on the CGC forum for that.

If it's soon then what's to become of all the grades out there currently? I'd imagine that be epic headache.

So do I hold off on the reds now. How much visibility is there on this matter?
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The Bronze has more than $72 in coupons. You get two 2-Day, and three Fast Pass coupons. That's $99 in coupons if I did the math right, more than that if you use the non member prices to do the math.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Last year I signed up for the SILVER package. I submitted about 150 comic books from bronze age to golden age. I called CBCS to see if I should up grade to the GOLD package. CBCS said "No" but their rep. at the Silicon Valley Comic Con said I should because I was submitting my (1963) AVENGERS #1 which costs $275.00 plus when I submit my DARE DEVIL #1 and SGT. FURY and HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS #1 that I'll get one done for free. Also, at that same convention I submitted 124 comic books which came out to $4,340.00. The amount I saved is well over the $500.00 GOLD membership I bought. So we'll see if through out the year if it's worth it. So far it has been.

I'm STILL waiting for that REWARDS program they were talking about that is retroactive back to Jan. 1, 2015.

BTW, what are these coupons of which people are speaking of? Are the CBCS or CGC and how do they work?
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
They're more like Credits for CBCS

A Bronze Member gets credit for 2 2-day modern books (worth $72 @ $36 each) as well as fast pass for 3 books ($27 @ $9 each). For a total of $99 in credit

A silver member gets credit for 2 Rapid Tier books ($162 @ $81 each)

Gold members get '2 for 1' on 1-Day tier books

They're not really implemented in a satisfying way. You basically have to write on the invoice what coupons/credit you would like to apply to your order. There is currently no way to see what credits you have available, what you've used, or when they expire
Post 9 IP   flag post
Is that 2for1 with Gold unlimited?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm not sure. I couldn't find any fine print to say there was a limit
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Is that 2for1 with Gold unlimited?

My Avengers #1 was valued at $10,000.00 and my Dare Devil #1 and Sgt. Fury #1 will be up there also so I think it should be worth it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
my whole issue with fast pass or rapid tier is that I submit so in frequently and usually max of 5 books that I don't really care about turn around time. For some one like me who would never use or pay for those services the credit/coupon is basically worthless in my decision to get a membership or not.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yeah, you definitely need to weight the amount you plan to submit over a year in the decision. CBCS has the advantage of still allowing direct mail submissions without a paid membership. CGC doesn't give that option.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Do I get any credit aside from expedited processing since I just joined, similar to CGC's deal?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
my whole issue with fast pass or rapid tier is that I submit so in frequently and usually max of 5 books that I don't really care about turn around time. For some one like me who would never use or pay for those services the credit/coupon is basically worthless in my decision to get a membership or not.

True, any of the memberships may not work for you but for someone like me who has over 5,000 comic books it works for me. I would love to have them all graded. My problem is cost and space.
Post 16 IP   flag post
No..no...I have just over 7,000 comics but I see no real need to get them graded. For those I care about I just put in mylites#2 and then for stability into mylites#4. I only sell a book once in a while (and usually a book I don't care too much about i.e. newest movie of the week character) so I'll get it graded or if something I got signed years ago (before grading) goes up I am starting to send those in for verification (and even then only if I'm considering selling), but all that still puts me at 5 or so books per year.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector santosraymond private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Hi there, I'm considering getting a CBCS membership for the VSP but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me. You mentioned $72 in coupons, can I ask what the coupons provide for members ? I'm a little bit confused with regards to what was on the site. Thanks in advance for the info.

Sorry, I just followed the thread and I think my question was answered. thanks again
Post 18 IP   flag post
@santosraymond Depending on the membership tier, you receive coupons for free fast pass (cuts your turnaround times in half), or grading tiers at faster turn-around times/ higher value tiers. Extras like ASP or VSP aren't covered but you'd still just be paying the $25 VSP fee and shipping to get your book. back in a week or two.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@santosraymond I'm not sure if you are aware by your post, but unlike CGC you don't actually need a membership to submit books at CBCS. Most folks do it just to get the discounted pricing and/or coupons if they are going to submit enough books.

I've submitted plenty (enough so the discounts would have been well worth the price of membership), but never felt the need to pay for a membership. I'm too stubborn to pay to let someone let me buy things from them lol.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Got it, I've just started submitting on my own and tried CGC first because of the discount. I'm debating on trying CBCS and trying to understand the benefits.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I think aside from the discount I was thinking of getting a membership because I wanted to avail of any special signing events that would be available to paid members only and not the free ones. And if I pay for a membership, is it worth it or not. Like with CGC, I did their tier with the 150 credit and only submitted books up to the 150 limit. If I do the CBCS with the 2 free coupons for 100, then that means I'm out 28 dollars because the coupons are worth 72 dollars only. I also would need to pay for shipping back to Canada. Thanks
Post 22 IP   flag post
@santosraymond Bronze CBCS gets you 5 coupons. Two 2-day, and three fast past. Total value is $99 at members price, which of course you would not get the member discounts otherwise, so it technically more than $99 value. Once you get past 5 books per year and use those coupons up you are still saving money on the discounts. So if you plan on subbing less than 5 per year don't get a membership, go non member price. 5 or more it's totally worth it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
In the past 8 months, if I add up my submissions taking into consideration coupons that I would have used anyways and member discounts, I get this:

Bronze would have saved me $106
Silver would have saved me $147
Gold would have saved me $66

... I didn't use any fast-pass and used only one two-day modern. So if I had signed up for Bronze I would have netted $6 and had three fast passes and one two day modern to burn.

My stubbornness does not pay off
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'd like to see some multiple tier options, some people might want 10 fast passes instead of the 2-days, or 3 2-days instead of the fast passes. But that would be a nightmare without a digital system in place to track them.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
For the first time, I had to. I created an account with CGC yesterday and signed up for the bottom tier 5/yr for my recent acquisition of the TMNT first printing #1. Sorry guys.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke oh kaptain, my kaptain.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke maybe you can make some extra cash facilitating Magazines for other boardies?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
For the first time, I had to. I created an account with CGC yesterday and signed up for the bottom tier 5/yr for my recent acquisition of the TMNT first printing #1. Sorry guys.

You had to sign a 5 year agreement with them?? What does that mean and what do you get for that?

I'm not nor have ever been a fan of CGC. I like honesty and they can't even spell the word.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Rafel no, 5 books per year, that's the value of the membership credit.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601264 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?