Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal #7.1268

Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
I'd do it now as well. Doing it later with the hopes of improving the grade would only add on an additional grading fee.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I was just made aware that you can get a book signed and then have it pressed and cleaned before grading. It's a good combo.

I guess I'll have to add a prescreen on to that?
Post 277 IP   flag post
Or is that in the price?
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
I'll help in a but driving
Post 279 IP   flag post
lol Get off your damned phone
Post 280 IP   flag post

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
You cannot pre-screen SS books.
Post 281 IP   flag post
Yes, I'd wait for feedback from Hector, Ditch, and Doc before making any decisions. Personally I wouldn't prescreen any books signed by Sam though. They are for your own PC so sure you want the best grade possible but a rejected prescreen wouldn't do anything for your registry set, and you'd already be invested by having it pressed anyway.
Post 282 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
You cannot pre-screen SS books.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Doc
Post 283 IP   flag post
Thanks guys. I was confused on what exactly a pre-screen is.

I take it that the presser will thoroughly look over the books themselves before taking any action?
Post 284 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Thanks guys. I was confused on what exactly a pre-screen is.

I take it that the presser will thoroughly look over the books themselves before taking any action?

Only if you pay them. With CCS, that's an additional $5 per books.
Post 285 IP   flag post
So with $8 per book on a 15+ sub, you pay them an additional $5 a book to look it over and decide how they are going to clean/press?
Post 286 IP   flag post
Quote:
So with $8 per book on a 15+ sub, you pay them an additional $5 a book to look it over and decide how they are going to clean/press?

Yes.

The $8 "quick press" is literally that: they don't look at the book, they just stick it in the press, and you get what you get.
Post 287 IP   flag post
Thanks for that Doc. Actually learning a lot today lol

Well, $13 a book isn't chump change, but I think in this instance it will be totally worth it.

Unless....someone wanted to take a look at my books before hand????? nudge nudge
Post 288 IP   flag post
Quote:

I am not familiar enough with the CBCS process to speak on this.
Post 289 IP   flag post
Quote:

Well, $13 a book isn't chump change, but I think in this instance it will be totally worth it.

Unless....someone wanted to take a look at my books before hand????? nudge nudge

I was planning on it.
Post 290 IP   flag post
Collector Ditch_Fahrenheit private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Hey...remember you asked how to make money in this hobby?

Well...one way is to reduce costs: learn to grade, press, dry clean, etc.

Post 291 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch_Fahrenheit
Quote:

It is quite interesting, isn't it? I suppose getting some .25 bin books and trying things out would be a good way to learn
Post 292 IP   flag post
Collector Ditch_Fahrenheit private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch_Fahrenheit
Quote:

It is quite interesting, isn't it? I suppose getting some .25 bin books and trying things out would be a good way to learn

You bet.
Post 293 IP   flag post
what i was going to say was, if you need to get modern books pressed and cleaned maybe you would be better suited to find better copies of the books (unless these are hard to find as it is)

This is just my opinion but sometimes if the book isn't a good candidate then you are just throwing money away. a 9.8 doesnt automatically happen, theres got to be something to work with

again my opinion, nowhere near the expert that doc is
Post 294 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilverjanet
what i was going to say was, if you need to get modern books pressed and cleaned maybe you would be better suited to find better copies of the books (unless these are hard to find as it is)

This is just my opinion but sometimes if the book isn't a good candidate then you are just throwing money away. a 9.8 doesnt automatically happen, theres got to be something to work with

again my opinion, nowhere near the expert that doc is
Totally agree with you there, but as you stated, getting some of these books is a royal pain.

I was really lucky to have found a set that was in pretty decent condition. With that said, I have 10 copies of some issues lol Especially MCP. The quality of paper that MCP was printed on was toilet paper
Post 295 IP   flag post
Everyone off playing golf today?
Post 296 IP   flag post
no
Post 297 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
It is Mother's Day
Post 298 IP   flag post
Can anyone recommend some 90's comics that would be worth grading and slabbing? I have my ashcan set that I am going to get done, but I am going through my boxes wondering what's all actually worth doing.

I have a 8.5 or so Xfactor 6 canadian newsstand that I figure I'll get done. Along with another low grade Hulk #340. I've got runs of Gen13, GenX, Xman, Xmen, Uncanny XMen, Age of Apocalypse, Cyclops and Phoenix mini, lots of one shots like Gambit, Rogue, Bishop XSE, then I have some Spiderman,Max Carnage, bone, Pitt, Savage Dragon (getting larson to sign #1), you know, mostly the so called hot books from '93 to '98. Not to mention all the malibu #1's. I think Prime was the only one that semi made it.
Post 299 IP   flag post
Ect ect ect
Post 300 IP   flag post
I have been thinking of getting rid of 3 longboxes of stuff and just focusing on my slabs, maxx and tick
Post 301 IP   flag post
Quote:
Can anyone recommend some 90's comics that would be worth grading and slabbing? I have my ashcan set that I am going to get done, but I am going through my boxes wondering what's all actually worth doing.

I have a 8.5 or so Xfactor 6 canadian newsstand that I figure I'll get done. Along with another low grade Hulk #340. I've got runs of Gen13, GenX, Xman, Xmen, Uncanny XMen, Age of Apocalypse, Cyclops and Phoenix mini, lots of one shots like Gambit, Rogue, Bishop XSE, then I have some Spiderman,Max Carnage, bone, Pitt, Savage Dragon (getting larson to sign #1), you know, mostly the so called hot books from '93 to '98. Not to mention all the malibu #1's. I think Prime was the only one that semi made it.

Bone #1, 1st print, later prints in 9.8

Bone #2-10-ish, 1st prints.

Strangers in Paradise #1-3 first series.

Evil Ernie #1-5 first series

The Crow #1-3 Tundra in 9.8

Valiant pre-Unity. Valiant golds, reds, etc.

Amazing Spiderman #361, 410, 430, 431, 441 in 9.8.

Battle Chasers #1 Chromium

Danger Girl #1 Chromium

Danger Girl #2 Smoking Guns
Post 302 IP   flag post
Quote:
I have been thinking of getting rid of 3 longboxes of stuff and just focusing on my slabs, maxx and tick

I downsized quite a bit myself not too long ago to put those funds towards my Tick and Bone collections. I let go of some really nice books but looking at what books I added, I don't have any regrets.
Post 303 IP   flag post
this may sound weird but I kinda like my personal collection raw
Post 304 IP   flag post
@jsilverjanet
Nah, I don't think that's weird at all. If it's what you prefer and enjoy then that's what's best for you.
Post 305 IP   flag post
598069 554 30