Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Please grade Peter Laird's file copy TMNT #12670

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
TMNT #1 Second Printing.
Peter Laird's personal file copy from the Mirage Studios Archives in 2011.

Mirage Studios, 1984.
White to Off-White pages
Complete
Staples firm and intact.

Raw ungraded, estimated to be a 9.0 or higher. Double signed and double sketched in silver marker with all 4 turtles and splinter.

Book was obtained from the private collection of Peter Laird via ebay mirage studios account (at the time was called "tmnt_toys" then changed the ebay account name sometime after to "mirage-studios" ) with provenance and documentation.

Mr Kevin Eastman signed the book in March of 2015 in Seattle at the Emerald City Comicon in person. Kevin Eastman knew immediately whose book it was and where it came from due to the printer error and how the front cover walked off the printing press, as indicated on bottom right corner of front cover.

It is a super rare one of a kind book with a printer error by which this book should have been destroyed but was kept by Mr Laird in the Mirage Studios Archives Basement for 30 years.

It would never get a yellow label, only a green qualified. I would get it authenticated from PSA/DNA first and then get it graded by CGC since CBCS doesn't do magazines. yet.

However, give it time and CBCS will eventually do a red label VSP on that book I suppose. The printer defect is what throws me off. If you look at the book it has no other flaws but the bottom left front corner. It's blunted in. You can see a white angular cutoff line on both the front and back covers where the book walked off the printer press. It's one of the first 10 copies that were even experimented with when printing the first 500 copies. It's a legendary book with an incredible story but none of it can be proven other than the certificate of authenticity and Kevin's nod.

If I were to guess? Raw grade it has to be above 8.0 but less than 9.2 Maybe others can weigh in on this book's grade: (click to zoom in)

I would like to sell the book so I can uptrade to a first printing. The normal value of such a book is around $400-$500. Given the history and provenance along with sketches I price it at $1000-$2000. This is a 1 of 1 book. That is generous considering this is what I do for a living. Some would charge 3 times that.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Wish I had the cash to drop on this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Question for the CGC Guys:

How does CGC grade a book if it has a PSA/DNA sticker on it? With matching certificate? Would it get treated differently or is the sticker considered like tape on the book?

Has this ever come up before? I'm sure it has. I can't be the only person to ask this.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd just hold onto it until CBCS will grade it. PSA/DNA is an absolute joke. Unless the seller has a picture of the person signing the item to sell with their "authentication" I wouldn't buy anything they've authenticated. And if they do, what do they need with PSA?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I would never ever get a PSA/DNA on a comic! I'd rather buy a green label CGC and take my chances than have a sticker permanently ruin the book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Agreed
Post 6 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke for a moment I was afraid you were contemplating sending that to them. I was like...

Post 7 IP   flag post
I was just asking if anyone foolishly acted out like that in such a manner.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Does anyone take a stab at raw grading from the photos? thanks
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd probably give it a 9.2 if I was grading it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I keep trying to find a reason to give it less than a 9.2 and I'm not seeing any.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Edit: accidentally pasted a tracking # here instead of typing. Just wanted to say how cool this piece of TMNT history is!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'm gonna be conservative & say 9.0.

I pulled out my Overstreet Grading Guide to compare what they say about printing errors.

According to them under the Bindery/Printing heading, a 9.2 can have "a limited number of minor defects".

A 9.0 can have "limited number of defects".

Almost the same wording, but I'm not sure the length of the printing error would qualify as minor.

I'm still impressed by the color, it's incredibly vibrant.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
That's a dope book!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
IMO? There is no way on God's good earth that book is a NM- 9.2 copy! The lower left corner is dinged badly, and the spine roll will take it down as well. If I had to guess a grade? VF+ 8.5 at best. Just my worthless sense...
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke if I were you? Take that book and all of its documentation that you have, to Peter. If he is willing to verify it, I'd have him write inside the book somewhere in front of a witness verifying what you are saying. " this book personal copy of Peter Etc etc signed peter"

In theory, CGC would then give it a yellow label designated file copy, possibly more on the label. Voila, authenticated. Press it first as well!
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
And BTW with a press easily 9+.

AWESOME BOOK!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@kaptainmyke if I were you? Take that book and all of its documentation that you have, to Peter. If he is willing to verify it, I'd have him write inside the book somewhere in front of a witness verifying what you are saying. " this book personal copy of Peter Etc etc signed peter"

In theory, CGC would then give it a yellow label designated file copy, possibly more on the label. Voila, authenticated. Press it first as well!

Peter is randomly in and out of his office for weeks at a time.
Post 18 IP   flag post
nah i should probably wait until CBCS offers VSP magazine slabs
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

What is up with that meme? He looks like he took a handfull of grandma's pills lol.
Post 21 IP   flag post
That dude is the king of dumb memes.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
My first print with signatures and sketches

Post 23 IP   flag post
Nice first printing! Looks like a 6.5 or a 7.0?

That is a classic original old school "just getting started" Kevin Eastman signature and sketch - oooooo that's one of the best Laird signatures I've seen yet! He must have been in a great mood that day! woot!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
If I tell you what I paid for the book you will cry Got them to sign it in 1987 also bought #2-#8 all first prints with both their signatures and sketches in all those books + art but not theirs

Post 25 IP   flag post
Looks like Jim Lawson and Michael Dooney. Nice. Love Lawson's loose style and the contrasting Dooney's tight style.
Post 26 IP   flag post
597868 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?