Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
How often do you vist your LCS? Or do you prefer to use an online store instead?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
Every two weeks for the LCS for me. I use online for stuff that my LCS doesn’t get
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I've been doing business with Midtown Comics since I think '00?? Maybe earlier then that. Before that was American Entertainment. Before that we had a LCS but then they stopped selling comics so I had to go through online retailers.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
I've been in a brick and mortar shop twice in the last year. Made one purchase (of new comics) and wished I hadn't. Could have got them online for less.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
All my LCS dont put out any good Variants and when they do get some they go straight to ebay and price of that. For that price its best to buy online. I just purchase 2 comics from Unknown Comics for Jean Grey #1 variants for $30 but on ebay it will be more. Houston has nothing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector I_AM_IRON_MAN private msg quote post Address this user
I visit my LCS weekly, mainly to chat. Once a month I grab my pulls. My LCS has a couch and some chairs so some of the fellas sit around and chat or flip through back issues. Good times. Will never read a digital comic, I have to hold it, regardless of the price.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Once a week on new comics day. I'm lucky that there like 4 or 5 really good LCSs in my city. I want to support the comic community here if I can. I order from midtown sometimes but it almost inevitable the books come with spine stress. I tried mycomicshop for my last order to see if they're better.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I collect above-average grade Mad magazines, can only find them online
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
All my LCS dont put out any good Variants and when they do get some they go straight to ebay and price of that. For that price its best to buy online. I just purchase 2 comics from Unknown Comics for Jean Grey #1 variants for $30 but on ebay it will be more. Houston has nothing.

Houston has nothing? What about http://www.bedrockcity.com/store/ ?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
LCS only. I like to have the books in my hand before I spend the money. I can also cherry pick the best copies.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector aerischan private msg quote post Address this user
Weekly at LCS for reading copies. Online for variants and stuff I collect.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
There ARE couple LCS that I will hit up on occasion when I travel to Des Moines for concerts & to see friends.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Bedrockcity is okay but you have to fight to get something and some covers they just dont sell. In Bedrock they all most run me over to get something when they open even if you are first in line and you cant order ahead. That sucks
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer going to my LCS if possible. I like shopping local if I can. Alot of shops around are closing their doors and I'd hate for my LCS to be next. If they cant get what I'm looking for I go online but they get a call to check first. I like to sort threw the books to get the best possible copy I can find. With online you never know what might happen to that package. Admittedly we all take that risk all the time but if I can I want it in hand.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector LemonMonster private msg quote post Address this user
I use my LCS and online but I do work at a comic shop. Only work on Sundays I get 40% off all my comics plus I get first choice on every variant that comes in. But there are things I need to get online if the company doesn't have it in stock in any of the 9 locations through out the city.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMonster
I use my LCS and online but I do work at a comic shop. Only work on Sundays I get 40% off all my comics plus I get first choice on every variant that comes in. But there are things I need to get online if the company doesn't have it in stock in any of the 9 locations through out the city.

I love your user name.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Go to a few of my LCS every week to pick up whatever's there and shoot the breeze. Wife's not a comic geek so need an escape to my world to remain sane lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You and I should become friends. Really, really, good friends.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I haven't been to a LCS in months. They don't have what I need at the prices I'm willing to pay.

I understand the logic behind having items in hand...I do...but if I can spend $200 on a nice Detective Comics #123...and I can....why would I spend $500 for it at an LCS?

And, if I can buy pretty much everything that isn't brand new at substantial discounts online and at conventions, why on earth would I go to a "store" to do pay more?

I spent $500 at Wondercon last weekend on various back issues...I overpaid, too. But to get those exact same back issues at an LCS, I would have had to pay $1000+.

Doesn't make sense.

I've, admittedly, got a huge chip on my shoulder when it comes to LCSs. Maybe it's justified, maybe it's not. But every single store I've been to...and I've been to hundreds in the past 26 years...has always, always, always ripped me off, in my opinion.

Nothing has made me angrier than to be charged $100 for something that I could have spent $30 on elsewhere, for the exact same item, in the exact same condition...or better.

I get that they have overhead. I get it.

But the purpose of competition is to be competitive. And LCS have never, ever been that.

Have I gotten "good deals" at the LCS? Sure, but that wasn't because the LCS was being competitive, or doing me a favor, or rewarding me as a customer. It was because I had done my homework, and knew what I was looking at (and they did not.)

And...to top it off, almost every single LCS I have ever been to has treated me as if I was a burden to them, whether I was or not. You know the attitude. It's Comic Book Guy. I was there for THEIR benefit, not the other way around.

Case in point: I was a customer at House of Secrets in Burbank, CA from 1999-2010. I spent probably $30,000 there in that time period, almost entirely on back issues (where they made the lion's share of their margins.)

Did that win me anything? Nope. Did that get me any favorable treatment as a customer? Nope. I once bought 7 long boxes of dollar books...dollar books, mind you...and they about had an aneurysm when I dared ask for a better price than what the person off the street buying 4 single books got.

AND I heard that they were bitching about it after the fact.

But the coup de grâce was when I bought an Avengers #1 in 2010...VG-ish shape...then pressed it and had it signed by Stan. It came back a 5.5...restored. 5th wrap married.

When I took it back, now in a 5.5 CGC slab signed by Stan...they only offered to pay me back the ORIGINAL purchase price, nevermind that I had pressed it, nevermind that I had paid to have it graded AND signed by Stan. Nevermind any of that. They got back a BETTER book than they sold me, and didn't compensate me for it.

And why, you might ask, did HOS have a restored Avengers #1...? Because they didn't care about checking for resto, or missing pages, or whatnot...and people discovered it, so the place became a dumping ground for "problem" books.

I bought a Hulk #181...brown color touch in the BRC. They had a JLA #2...missing page.

I have little doubt that people were buying purple labels, cracking them, and then selling them to HOS.

The bad stories I have from LCSs far, far, FAR outweigh the good...so...no thanks.

Sorry. Didn't intend for that to be such a rant.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Sorry. Didn't intend for that to be such a rant.

That was actually pretty brief for a Doc rant. Nice story.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Pffft.

I bought an ASM #100 in 1990 from Halley's Comics in Pleasanton, CA. Near Mint Guide was $30...I paid $30, which, to a high school senior in 1990, was a ton bunch of money.

I saved it all these years until 2015. Got it signed by Stan. Came back an 8.0...AFTER pressing, which means it started out as a 7.0 or thereabouts.

Paid the NM price for a F/VF book...which is about average for the LCS. I obviously wasn't clued in too well to grading back in 1990...but neither were they.

Didn't stop them from charging NM guide for a F/VF copy.

Sigh.
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
That was actually pretty brief for a Doc rant.

Oops, I guess he wasn't done yet.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Oh, you don't want me to keep going. I could be here all night.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

I love your user name.

Thanks, had the name for over a decade.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Quote:

You and I should become friends. Really, really, good friends.

Aren't we all really good friends already?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey doc. Basically same story here but with bedrock. Resto and trimmed books
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
LCS once or twice a month for my little guy to get his books but most of my stuff comes from online. Books at my LCS are always beat up.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
LCS. I have a shop right next to where I work and one like 5 minutes from my house. I like to read the weekly stuff when it comes out, I get a 20% discount, too.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector jdangerc private msg quote post Address this user
I have two local comic shops. Both have great owners and employees that I love talking to. The only problem is that I don't collect new stuff and their back issues are usually 30%-50% higher than online. But I do support both shops by buying comic supplies and an action figure here and there. It sucks because they have overhead, but can't justify paying that much more for something I can get online much cheaper. I guess it's the nature of the beast.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I am only signed up for Amazing Spider-man, Turtles, and BTTF. My LCS lady is too small to order any variants worthy of my purchase. I often buy what I'm looking for elsewhere online or from Jetpack comics online through pull lists at comixology.
Post 30 IP   flag post
618011 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?