Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

Stolen comics report2433

Collector ivegotneatstuff private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all

I just had this reported to stolencomic.com - 11 long boxes stolen from widow - which include swamp thing run, etc.. I'm trying to get more details from her. Any comic stores/collectors in the Colorado area might want to be extra vigilant.

"Comic Description
Lifelong collection includes comics from all ages. Swamp Thing from #1 to #90. Batman. Superman, undergrounds. Eleven long boxes!
Hundreds of comics stolen."
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Thousands stolen. Not hundreds. Bummer. Hope the thief is caught but not likely considering collectibles don't typically have our initials or engravings on such.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder how they were stolen? We are looking at approximately 3000 books if you do the math.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
I literally was thinking about this yesterday: why can't comics be "engraved" with some kind of "invisible" serial number? I'm surprised that some kind of "unseen by the naked eye" way to mark books for ownership doesn't already exist. Or does it? #MillionDollarIdea
Post 4 IP   flag post
That is why graded books are good. They have an individual code. But of course a thief can crack them out if he were smart.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreen: That's why the invisible serial number needs to be ON the book. I could see a system where every new comic comes with an invisible serial number, and owner simply needs to register it online. Works just like any other product registration. Only difference is you need a black light or something to see this particular number. Using a special ink, this is something that could easily be included in the printing of new comics. Then again, if each comic came with a unique serial number printed on it, it wouldn't even need to be invisible.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Problem with serial numbers on books is it would be a logistical nightmare to keep track of them. You'd have to keep track of all the numbers and You'd need to get a bill of sale to prove the transfer. Without a way to track sales and trades, a LOT of people would get ripped off.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
What's the estimated value? Do you know? I mean I have seen 3000 comics worth only 3000.00 when averaged. If we are talking 30,000.00 or up then I recommend getting a large safe. For 1500.00 I had a guy build a safe that two adults could stand in. Had it made in Ohio amd shipped. No shelves or frilly stuff. Basically a fire proof storage box. Worth the minor investment if you have value to protect. Or even a small safe for just your most valuable books, atleast.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
@BrianGreen: That's why the invisible serial number needs to be ON the book. I could see a system where every new comic comes with an invisible serial number, and owner simply needs to register it online. Works just like any other product registration. Only difference is you need a black light or something to see this particular number. Using a special ink, this is something that could easily be included in the printing of new comics. Then again, if each comic came with a unique serial number printed on it, it wouldn't even need to be invisible.

Not gonna happen.

A)
This would be too costly for new comics i.e. cover price increase.

B)
Invisible ink involves chemicals which woukd effect the paper integrity and overall grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@TruckJohnson That idea would be astronomically expensive to incorporate in the printing of modern books. Every book cover would have to be printed individually instead of hundreds per minute on the current machines. We're talking a complete retooling of the entire process, time, money, equipment. Plus all the added man hours for printing books slow instead of fast. Do you like $3.99 cover prices? Because that's how you get $39.99 cover prices.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
I like the individual serial # idea you have. I am sure it would be a costly process. I mainly like it for the idea of the craze it would produce with collectors. Can you imagine the serial #1 chase and money grab there would be. That would be hilarious. EBAY example. Action Comics #1000. Serial #1. $25,000. Some idiot would probably pay it. Can you already imagine the variants there will be on that book soon.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Publishers already charge ridiculous amounts for shitty paper quality and for Diamond to ruin the books even more.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@ivegotneatstuff Is it just me or does this website no longer work?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ivegotneatstuff private msg quote post Address this user
@kingnampa thanks for letting me know - the domain had expired! It should be back up and running now...
Post 14 IP   flag post
@ivegotneatstuff Says this domain is for sell for $3000. Lol 😂 i just tried again.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Nevermind. Its stolencomic.com no "s"
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thats sad. It says to date no reported stolen comics on that site have been recovered. 😑

Post 17 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Well let's keep it in perspective were talking comics not the Hope diamond. No surprise the only people that care about a stolen comic are a few comic collectors and the guy that owns the comic.
I mean if it had a ton of value it would be insured. If it's not worth very much no one is going to say they found a stolen comic even if they could identify it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600861 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?