Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I think it should be the FF cocoon book
Post 27 IP   flag post
plus they made that movie cocoon so movie tie in
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
LOL, the one with Aliens and Old people?? What is the connection?

Post 29 IP   flag post
well they both had cocoons with beings with powers inside....
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I think a cameo, however brief or lame (Darkseid) is still the 1st appearance, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more important.

Hulk 180 is the 1st appearance of Wolverine, but 181 is clearly the one to "have". As mentioned, because of the cover, in large part.

Some consider X-Men Annual 14 as a cameo, some as a 1st app.
X-Men 266 is largely considered the more "important" issue.

As for Warlock- that could be a situation where Warlock and Him are sort of looked at as "different" characters. If one is more interesting than the other, that one can become more popular.

So many examples.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, like Detective Comics #27, or Action Comics #12.

Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown what is the connection between Tec 27 and Action 12?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector slym2none private msg quote post Address this user
I am not concerned with the monetary value of such things, it is just as important to distinguish the importance of such issues. Don't let dollar signs get in the way of what should be important.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Did I use the word "important" enough in that last post? Jeez, get a real vocabulary!

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slym2none
Did I use the word "important" enough in that last post? Jeez, get a real vocabulary!

How about" not letting $ get in the way of the hobby that we are so passionate about"
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I think the nature of the cameo makes a difference too. Is the character fully visible and identifiable, what is the character doing or saying, who drew the images. . . ?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:

How about" not letting $ get in the way of the hobby that we are so passionate about"

Problem is too many collectors today are MORE passionate about the $. The comics are just the tools they use to make it.
If tomorrow "it" became pogs, that's where they'd go.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Yep $$$
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@DocBrown what is the connection between Tec 27 and Action 12?

At the extreme risk of offering information:

The first ad for Batman was is Action 12. Some people see this as his 1st app.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

At the extreme risk of offering information:

The first ad for Batman was is Action 12. Some people see this as his 1st app.

Those people are nuttier than fruitcakes, but they DO exist.

Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS Thanks, I didn't know that piece of information, and googling Action 12 didn't help me find it either. Personally I wouldn't consider advertisements as appearances because they are not inside of a story. But I wouldn't hold it against anyone who felt the need to collect such appearances.
Post 42 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's what cracks me up; this full body, larger than a quarter panel shot of Wolverine in Hulk #180 gets less notice and value than this super small, 1/9th panel video screen, not so great head shot of Darkseid in Jimmy Olsen #134. You be the judge.

Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Problem is too many collectors today are MORE passionate about the $. The comics are just the tools they use to make it.

We're on a message board on a site dedicated to taking things meant to be read and putting them in a plastic coffin.

This is your big epiphany?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Here's what cracks me up; this full body, larger than a quarter panel shot of Wolverine in Hulk #180 gets less notice and value than this super small, 1/9th panel video screen, not so great head shot of Darkseid in Jimmy Olsen #134. You be the judge.

I couldn't have said it better.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better.

Yes, this is a very poor 1st appearance, but a 1st appearance it is.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

(People are dumb. )
Post 47 IP   flag post
'They' get to decide what the first appearance is and there's nothing we can do about it.
Post 48 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

POGS!!! How can you not love pogs lol
Post 49 IP   flag post
Incredible Hulk #180 is a strong showing of a first app. Especially when the 1st app has speaking parts. Just like X Factor # 5 with Apocalypse. I had mentioned this before but I think he speaks about 140 words and is in several panels.
Post 50 IP   flag post
First appearance should trump first full appearance every time. period. What constitutes a 'full appearance'? Character on cover? What if he's not on cover but in every page of the book? What if he's in 2 panels? 3? 6? where is the demarcation? There isn't one. So first appearance should be the FIRST APPEARANCE.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@Kav I know. It is such a grey area.Some books I prefer depending on the cover. An example would be Avengers 196 First full Taskmaster. That has a great George Perez cover and tough to get clean copies with that dark green border. I have very little interest in picking up Avengers#195.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I love that cover and also 160 and 171.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Kav I know. It is such a grey area.Some books I prefer depending on the cover. An example would be Avengers 196 First full Taskmaster. That has a great George Perez cover and tough to get clean copies with that dark green border. I have very little interest in picking up Avengers#195.

They can be had for next to nothing compared to Hulk #180's. For me, Taskmaster has one of the more interesting power sets in the Marvel Universe. I wish that more people enjoyed the character. If they used him in the a Deadpool movie as the villain, and wrote his interaction like Joe Kelly did in the comics the character would become a major force. The banter between him and Deadpool in the Joe Kelly written comics is perfect.
Post 54 IP   flag post
597892 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?