CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

How badly will binder holes effect the grade2339

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
That was a hilarious episode.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand how the hole punches in ASM 1 didn't result in a grade lower than 2.0.

Every single page is hole punched three times. That seems like such extensive damage that the book would/should have received a 1.0 or worse.

Learn something new every day.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The things folks did to comics back in the day. SMH

This person may have actually reasoned they were taking care of it rather than putting it in their back pocket. lol Not a lot of people back then thinking like we do today.

Whoever did it probably had others set up like this for easy reading on the go. They, in there own way, did exactly what was expected of them in the 1960's; They read them.

And you can believe comics were not published for the nit picky collectors we've become. They are now, of course, but not in the 1960s
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
I don't understand how the hole punches in ASM 1 didn't result in a grade lower than 2.0.

Every single page is hole punched three times. That seems like such extensive damage that the book would/should have received a 1.0 or worse.

Learn something new every day.

Grading is subjective. If it were resubmitted, it could very well come back 1.0

Happens quite often with resubs.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS, all fair points. Very true.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Every now and then you'll see a book (for me, usually online) that appears to be gift (from Heaven) graded. Every time I see that I feel sorry for the owner if they intended to sell it, because if it's a common slab grade and readily available, it could be VERY difficult to get current selling prices as there are other, likely better presenting copies on the market.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen a few three hole punches comics come back 2.5 from cgc

I have a two holes FF2 and I think it'd get the 2.5. Maybe I'll sub it some day
Post 57 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer

Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Here's another comic with a hole through and through: my Spider-man #1 Golden Records comic. I actually found both the Fantastic Four #1 and this Spidey #1 in a record store decades ago. I spotted the album covers and amazingly the albums and the comics were in both. Unfortunately they both had holes in the comics AND the album covers, but that didn't stop me from buying. I saw a lot of books and records with these holes so I did some research and learned they would punch a hole or cut the corner of books and records that were giveaways, freebies, or store returns, etc. in order to prevent them from being sold as new. And sure enough these books were in a second hand record & book store with holes in them. The Spidey comic didn't get the full hole punch treatment like the FF #1, but it did indeed get nipped. So mission accomplished!

Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
You're at 10% battery.

I like to live on the edge

I've been known to purposely keep my phones/pads at 10% so that when my kids wonder away with them they don't last long...sometimes its just easier to separate them from technology that way.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The things folks did to comics back in the day. SMH

This person may have actually reasoned they were taking care of it rather than putting it in their back pocket. lol Not a lot of people back then thinking like we do today.

Whoever did it probably had others set up like this for easy reading on the go. They, in there own way, did exactly what was expected of them in the 1960's; They read them.

I envision the 8 year old, stealing his father's copy stowed away in a closet, punching holes in it such that it can be placed in his trapper-keeper for easy/sneaky reading during class at school...
Post 61 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio we confiscate chargers around here. Those little white things are the hottest commodity around this house and the littles will do just about anything to get one
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Here's another comic with a hole through and through: my Spider-man #1 Golden Records comic. I actually found both the Fantastic Four #1 and this Spidey #1 in a record store decades ago. I spotted the album covers and amazingly the albums and the comics were in both. Unfortunately they both had holes in the comics AND the album covers, but that didn't stop me from buying. I saw a lot of books and records with these holes so I did some research and learned they would punch a hole or cut the corner of books and records that were giveaways, freebies, or store returns, etc. in order to prevent them from being sold as new. And sure enough these books were in a second hand record & book store with holes in them. The Spidey comic didn't get the full hole punch treatment like the FF #1, but it did indeed get nipped. So mission accomplished!

What is the year on the Golden records? I collect LPs, so you just added a new target item for me!

:o)

....that and I may be able to find them at a reasonable cost.

Do you know what price would be on one of these LP/comic combos? Is the book different than the regular issue? Or were these added to the records out of the publication run?

Cheers.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

They're all reprints. They can be identified by having no interior ads, no cover price, and a Golden Records ad on the back cover.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicdey
I've seen a few three hole punches comics come back 2.5 from cgc

I have a two holes FF2 and I think it'd get the 2.5. Maybe I'll sub it some day

Ouch....BUT...without adds in the book...that could be a nice read.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1966-Marvel-Comics-Fantastic-Four-Golden-Record-Set-w-1st-Issue-Repro-/252403602151?hash=item3ac46d52e7:g:fhAAAOSwBPNXR0xG
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarRes
Hi all.

I have a beautiful copy of ASM #14 first appearance of Green Goblin. There is no chipping, the gloss is fantastic, and the colors are exceptional. However, it unfortunately has three holes punched on the left side of the book. It was clearly intentional, and my guess is that the previous owner filed it away in a binder for safe keeping, seeing that the rest of the comic is in such good shape.

How can a defect like this effect the grade of the book? I'm guessing that if it wasn't for the holes, it would be between and 7.0 and an 8.5

It also has a faint ink stamp on the cover that reads acquired in 1964. Could that mean anything?

Thanks,
Harrison

Without FC & BC scans, no one can really give you a decent estimate.

Based on only what you have described, I'd guess you're looking at a 2.5 to 3.0.

3.0 if it is a rock solid VF book with defects like light spine stress and a small corner crease on the outer BC.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with CAK. And the date stamp/ink stamp doesn't affect the grade in that condition.
Post 67 IP   flag post
598060 67 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?