Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Magazines

Diel’s Annual SDCC thread (wall pics!)19782

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Just wanted to park this for now.

i’m at SDCC preview night and I’ve just about photographed most of the vendor walls and will be posting pics after I get home tonight. Just a quick observation, I’ve been seeing a few video game-related comics on the walls and a couple of localized manga as well. There might be some overlap there

That said, I just ran into Rob Liefeld on the floor looking at books. Wished him well, shook his hand. It was nice
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
Are you going to be visiting the KRS Comics booth? I was hoping I could get the Superman 75 foil but didn’t want to drop $199 to get a bunch of books when I only wanted one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Not my auction, but if uou trust the guy you can get a 9.8 for less than 199$

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314713610661?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qgpemrbtqc6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=x0YWgosxQv2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek
Are you going to be visiting the KRS Comics booth? I was hoping I could get the Superman 75 foil but didn’t want to drop $199 to get a bunch of books when I only wanted one.

I walked by it. I’m coming back on Friday and I might go to the booth for a signing in the afternoon
Post 5 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Just got back from preview night as well. My treasures were some foil variants from the DC booth, and a couple of autographs from Lee Weeks, and Scott Williams.Will be there all week, love this better than Christmas.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Wall Books!

Post 7 IP   flag post
Just awesome. Dig that Frazetta Thunda slab, and it looks like you got a pic of nerdygirl from Whatnot.
Post 8 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Cool wall books. Me personally if I ever got the chance it would be too check out the costumes and stuff. Maybe window shopping but most likely would never buy anything
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
Cool wall books. Me personally if I ever got the chance it would be too check out the costumes and stuff. Maybe window shopping but most likely would never buy anything

That's what vendors like to hear, lol.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I’d like to hear some opinions on this one, sorry I forgot to snap a picture of the back). looks like the case was damaged (on the edge not really visible in the photo) so the seller was offering a bit of a discount. I know the grade has a slight hit due to the unwitnessed signature (Roy Thonas?) but if the witnessed sig carries over and the unwitnessed sig can be verified + a clean and press, what could you see this grading as?

The graders notes read:

staple detached bottom of cover
heavy staining to cover
moderate creasing to cover
moderate pieces out to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover
moderate tears to cover

Pressing wouldn’t fix a lot of that, I know

Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Given that it's a 1.8 and the notes, I don't think the unwitnessed signature is really detracting from the grade.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@DrWatson That’s kind of where my mind was going but wanted to see if I wasn’t alone on it. The unsigned 3.0 for $100 WAS looking more attractive
Post 13 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
As I get older, I am bemused by the composition of the wall books. When I started going to cons, it was all Silver and Golden age stuff that I couldn't afford. Now, an increasing amount is stuff I already have because I bought it off the rack, or stuff I used to have but got rid of. And Silver and Golden age stuff that I can't afford. Of course, a lot is outside my interests as well. There's just so many copies of a lot of stuff.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite what booth is the 1.8 at good sir?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@makahuka Booth 1005 Blue Chip
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you kindly @dielinfinite!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
There's just so many copies of a lot of stuff.

I also started to realize that several years ago. The advice I got that made sense: "don't chase the stuff that you see multiple times at every convention. Buy the stuff you like that you might not see again at the next convention".
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector jeffreyk1965 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for all the pictures. I wish I was there.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania

That's what vendors like to hear, lol.
🤣
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Thanks for sharing the photos!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Man, I’m not as young as I used to be! I’m taking a day off from the con today but yesterday was a big success!

I basically bounced around from signing-to-signing and got pretty good line positions for most of them! Not much buying, though. I wasn’t planning on getting everyone on the Harley Quinn movie cover. I went just planning on getting Joelle Jones but it turned out the whole creative team was at the show so it became sort of my main objective for the day.

I did miss out on the Peach Momoko signing, which was unfortunate but I’m sure I’ll get an opportunity for those later through a facilitator.

Bill Sienkiewicz was a bit excited to see the Resident Evil comic. He mentioned it was one of his first digital works and that it was also used for the US release of the game.

Speaking with Becky Cloonan about Gotham Academy was fun. She let me know that she’s bouncing around ideas for a new run but that the gears move very slowly at DC so we might not see it for a while.

I also dropped a book off with an artist in Artist’s Alley for pick up on Sunday.

One thing I noticed is that the Jim Lee convention bag, which released just before lockdowns, had a fairly strong presence among collectors. I was in one line where three of us in a row had one. I really like it for conventions and the general response from the board was that it was fairly solid. I wonder if there are more purpose-built comic con bags and this bag is jut the most popular, or if it’s a niche that very few companies have tried to exploit 🤔

I’ll be back at the show on Sunday and that’s when I’ll do more shopping, particularly for my dad’s collection. Gonna try to capitalize on those last-day deals, and of course, drop by books off with CBCS
Post 22 IP   flag post
JR JR is totally awesome, and personable, he signed my book for free, I think the fee , Back in the 85, at my first SDCC, Bill Sinkevitch signed my Moon Knight #1, I finally decided to run the gambit and see if his old version of his autograph will pass. My main goal was to get P. Craig Russell sigs, and meet Meng Chen from Comic Book men, and he was totally cool, he greeted everyone with graciousness and warmth.As usual, it was great to catch up with friends in the industry.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, was John Romita Jr. charging for any signatures and was he signing his full name?

I have only seen him sign with JR JR. Years ago I even asked if if I could pay more to have a full name signed and was politely told no.

Many thanks
Post 24 IP   flag post
I heard he was charging, and I was willing to pay. I had my money out to give to him, but when I was in line and handed my book to him, he signed it, and told me not to worry about it. I'm not sure about full names.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Romita Jr was doing one signature for free then $30 for additional signatures
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the insight!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Last day of the convention! Didn’t do too much today but still fun!

I started by picking up a commission I requested on Friday. No one famous but for $21, I am happy with it!

I then stopped by a CBCS to submit my books. I had been told that they would have a signing including Frank Miller today but they ended up doing it on Saturday so there were a few books I didn’t include.

After that, I wanted to find something for my dad’s collection. He had a spare Incredible Hulk 449 9.6 so I tried to find somewhere that would give me some trade in credit. I ended up trading this:

For These

I was happy to see that they were actually a local seller (who apparently also trades in wine) so I’ll probably check them out again!

Post 28 IP   flag post
611387 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?