Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Selling Superman.....WOW!!!19351

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Link to Documentary Trailer: Selling Superman

News Feed
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector PalmBeachPresser private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
300,000 ... lordy lordy lordy ... I got the email from CGC and was like ...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
300,000 ... and that's only the auction? Over a million? lordy lordy lordy ... I got the email from CGC and was like ...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks GAC for sharing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Sad that they resented him for it all those years and never understood what he was leaving them until he was gone.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers That is definitely sad especially since they will now reap the rewards of this foresight.

@multi007 đŸ»
Post 7 IP   flag post
The guy collected these books for over 50 years. I understand he has books that are older than 50 years and likely not purchased off the rack but I'm curious why atleast a part of his collection wasn't designated a pedigree.....or maybe we just didn't see it?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
That man deserved a son, like me.

Shame.

😂 I remember an in law making a crack about $400 I wasted on a comic art page 30 years ago. "Do you know how much linen and bed sheets you could've bought with that?"
I saw the look of disgust and vibe of ridicule. If they'd shown any respect to that dad/husband he would've shared more. They didn't believe in him. Thanks to his generosity they will reap the benefits of his efforts.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
It must suck to be ignorant.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Since he had over a million separate items, I am sure he lived in a rabbit trail house with boxes to the ceiling and was mentally unable to sell anything, ever. Seen that more than once myself. Impossible to live with, regardless of the value.
While it is true his ex wife and son can cash in now, it was a disease for him. You are not a hoarder until every space is full, living is nearly impossible and some of it you haven’t seen for 40 years because you can’t get to it.
And you add to it every chance you get.
Post 11 IP   flag post
By these standards, my father's collection was small, by his count only about 3 or 4 thousand books total. He started collecting "seriously" at a very young age and by 1950 had already (again, this is all by his accounting) amassed over almost a thousand comics, which annoyed the heck out of my grandmother because of the space they took up. They were pretty well-off, upper lower middle class and their basement was furnished and huge and dry and my grandfather "gave" him an entire back section to my dad for which to have his 'hobby' - shelves and tables and boxes ... an old couch ... He would spend his allowance and lawn-cutting money, etc. on comics, trade with his friends, received at Xmas and Birthdays ... it was his one hobby.
He left for college in 1959. In 1962 he came home for spring break from what I think was his Junior year. He was almost graduated. And found that while gone, his loving mother my grandmother who wouldn't hurt a fly and loved us all unconditionally had GIVEN AWAY every last comic, like 50 boxes, to a local church rummage sale where they were sold off at a nickel apiece and 2$ a box.
I truly believe that he never forgave her. He'd get very quiet when the subject came up and then pivot to some humorous thing or other... but from the list of things he said he had I knew it was a sore, sore subject.
I believe she always felt bad about it afterwards but ... water under the bridge, right?
He would tell us kids that if he still had them he probably would have sold some of them before I was born for money for a house and new kid ... but he also said he wished he had them to pass on to us kids.
He's been gone for almost 40 years now. He'd have LOVED this story, I bet.
Post 12 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Jaw Dropping.....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Since he had over a million separate items, I am sure he lived in a rabbit trail house with boxes to the ceiling and was mentally unable to sell anything, ever. Seen that more than once myself. Impossible to live with, regardless of the value.
While it is true his ex wife and son can cash in now, it was a disease for him. You are not a hoarder until every space is full, living is nearly impossible and some of it you haven’t seen for 40 years because you can’t get to it.
And you add to it every chance you get.

I love the son saying they had THREE shipping containers full, and that layout of humidity control, the security, the safe ... i mean they may have been in a hoarder house at one time, but right now? That is TIGHT and done RIGHT man ... seriously.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The guy collected these books for over 50 years. I understand he has books that are older than 50 years and likely not purchased off the rack but I'm curious why atleast a part of his collection wasn't designated a pedigree.....or maybe we just didn't see it?

Well CGC put out that email showing that it's getting its own encapsulation label art ... so that's something.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It does not qualify for a Pedigree (unless you could prove what he purchased new and didn’t buy second hand, those could possibly be given a pedigree), but with the story and all the press it will get, they will definitely put a special Collection label on books from this collection. It’s all about the marketing to get the highest prices.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@dfoster43 I was not aware of the special label....that's cool for sure!

@esaravo right, probably couldn't prove some/many were bought off the rack....he has passed away afterall.

@nearmint67 absolutely!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@dfoster43 I was not aware of the special label....that's cool for sure!

@esaravo right, probably couldn't prove some/many were bought off the rack....he has passed away afterall.

@nearmint67 absolutely!

@GAC

Here is the link to that story about the label:

Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43 - I am not impressed by that label - FANTAST?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@esaravo it was the owners online pseudonym....and I agree, not a fan of the name either.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@dfoster43 Thanks for the link! I hadn't read that before. Pretty incredible!
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
That's the worst looking label I've ever seen. I'm sure whoever buys it will get a reholder.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
Such an intriguing story. Seems his disease is responsible for both the awesome collection and broken family. Maybe one day we can all grab one of these.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Sadly, people didn’t know what they didn’t know back then. Heck I remember Stan Lee doing an interview where he said that back in the old days, marvel almost went bankrupt because people looked down on comic books and no one was buying or wanted to distribute.

I went to Phil’s comics in south Florida in 1980, and I remember vividly seeing a daredevil #1 in “excellent condition” for I think $80. Both. Y dad and I always looked at each other like “whoever buys that is crazy”.

Well, “whoever” got the last laugh. Lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
I wonder, do any of you think the market will take a hit with them getting released into the market?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@dfoster43 - I am not impressed by that label - FANTAST?

I wasn't either. It's awkward to say.

But I guess the son suggested it, as it was his father's "screen name" on social media, or so the story reported.

Yeah not a fan of FANTAST but hey ... not my circus those aren't my clowns.
Post 26 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
I wonder, do any of you think the market will take a hit with them getting released into the market?
Not at all. People will eat them up...
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007

I was thinking about this too but I don't think it will. Because of the story/documentary and CGC marketing the collection they way they are....custom label and such....the collection will sell out at high prices I'm sure.
Post 28 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This is not a backstory that I would enjoy owning a piece of. The hoarder's collection that made his wife and kid miserable. Glad they are finally getting something for all that they put up with.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600894 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?