Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Setting up comics at a card show.19348

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,
So my son and I went and checked out a free admission card show at a mall this Saturday. There were about 150 tables. 90% of it was sports cards. The other 10% was Pokemon cards and misc. There were a couple long boxes of comics but no actual comic book dealers. There were some pops and some toys but not many. I am tempted to set up here. I will have some non sports cards and slabs and more popular titles that have Spiderman, Batman, Wolverine etc... in them. Have any of you done the same? I am wondering how you did. I think it could be really good or really bad. Tables are $50. and I talked with the promoter and he supports comic books dealers. It is literally right in the mall and it was very busy. I talked to a lot of the vendors and most of them have been setting up there a few months in a row and had all positive things to say.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Id try and get as many cards as you can as well. whether ebay or stores. it is a card show. im sure comics are allowed but people going there will specifically be looking for cards. they might ignore your table
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest doing it when you can commit to going 3 times in a row. People won't be expecting you there the first time. But by the third time they will be expecting you and maybe even spread the word that you are there with comic books to sell.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Hi All,
So my son and I went and checked out a free admission card show at a mall this Saturday. There were about 150 tables. 90% of it was sports cards. The other 10% was Pokemon cards and misc. There were a couple long boxes of comics but no actual comic book dealers. There were some pops and some toys but not many. I am tempted to set up here. I will have some non sports cards and slabs and more popular titles that have Spiderman, Batman, Wolverine etc... in them. Have any of you done the same? I am wondering how you did. I think it could be really good or really bad. Tables are $50. and I talked with the promoter and he supports comic books dealers. It is literally right in the mall and it was very busy. I talked to a lot of the vendors and most of them have been setting up there a few months in a row and had all positive things to say.

What would be really bad other than wasting $50 on a table?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:
Hi All,

The $50. Would not be a problem but if it is a bust, I have spent several hours there. But I think I would still enjoy myself especially if my son hangs out with me. He is a Pokemon fan too but he is not into sports cards at all. I like sports cards but my normal buying range on singles is the $1-$3 range for rookies.
Post 5 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
What mall Brian? Metro Detroit area, I assume..
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Lansing Mall. The show is held there the 4th Saturday of every month.
Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Lansing Mall. The show is held there the 4th Saturday of every month.

Gotcha. A bit out of Metro Detroit then. Closer to me. Thanks Brian.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

The $50. Would not be a problem but if it is a bust, I have spent several hours there. But I think I would still enjoy myself especially if my son hangs out with me. He is a Pokemon fan too but he is not into sports cards at all. I like sports cards but my normal buying range on singles is the $1-$3 range for rookies.

@briangreensnips
The best thing about being a dealer at any show is the ability to find books during dealer set up, priced way below FMV from vendors who don’t know the market on certain books.

I would bring a wall and put hot books on it, and in the middle row, put 12 $1.00 books in that row with a colorful sign on each of your boxes “$1.00 EACH

The row of dollar books would have a sign indicating something like:

“All books this row (with an arrow pointing to the left and an arrow pointing to theright so it’s clear this is an example of the sort of books in your boxes) make buyers have a reason to look in the boxes for more books like these.

I stopped setting up at cons once Vovid hit in 2020, but previous to that, I have set up at cons for 2+ decades - since I was 19…..I learned quickly the best thing to do is have all price points and 2 short boxes of better books.

I would not expect much from a sports card mall show, just bring mostly cheap books and have everything prepared well before the show-

A mall can be packed but most people at malls are there for anything else besides comics.

Again, your best shot at making a nice payday, is scoring big tivket books for a fraction of FMV.

Find the one guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing and put a couple hundred bucks in his hands and you’re golden.

I found about a third of a long box with all cherry copies of marvel comics presents 72 at $1/book a few years back, at one of the last shows i set up at in around 2018 or so.

Bought every copy that looked like a 9.8 candidate with a press, I should have bought them all.

Find the guy with a shoddy display and find a DC universe logo worth $500+ for a dollar or a Lichtenstein source swipe for peanuts that’s good for nice coin.

It’s harder to find SA keys at any show than it was back in the day but yeah….TL ;DR post aside…..

get there before any other comic dealers/flippers do and look for comics to flip, than start setting up your own table …. Bring at least $500 cash with you for morning deals and in case and print up a big dign that reads “WW PAY CASH FOR ALL COMICS, TOP DOLLAR PAID” - it’ll take 10 minutes to print up signs in word perfect, well worth the time.bold text
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

@briangreensnips
The best thing about being a dealer at any show is the ability to find books during dealer set up, priced way below FMV from vendors who don’t know the market on certain books.

I would bring a wall and put hot books on it, and in the middle row, put 12 $1.00 books in that row with a colorful sign on each of your boxes “$1.00 EACH

The row of dollar books would have a sign indicating something like:

“All books this row (with an arrow pointing to the left and an arrow pointing to theright so it’s clear this is an example of the sort of books in your boxes) make buyers have a reason to look in the boxes for more books like these.

I stopped setting up at cons once Vovid hit in 2020, but previous to that, I have set up at cons for 2+ decades - since I was 19…..I learned quickly the best thing to do is have all price points and 2 short boxes of better books.

I would not expect much from a sports card mall show, just bring mostly cheap books and have everything prepared well before the show-

A mall can be packed but most people at malls are there for anything else besides comics.

Again, your best shot at making a nice payday, is scoring big tivket books for a fraction of FMV.

Find the one guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing and put a couple hundred bucks in his hands and you’re golden.

I found about a third of a long box with all cherry copies of marvel comics presents 72 at $1/book a few years back, at one of the last shows i set up at in around 2018 or so.

Bought every copy that looked like a 9.8 candidate with a press, I should have bought them all.

Find the guy with a shoddy display and find a DC universe logo worth $500+ for a dollar or a Lichtenstein source swipe for peanuts that’s good for nice coin.

It’s harder to find SA keys at any show than it was back in the day but yeah….TL ;DR post aside…..

get there before any other comic dealers/flippers do and look for comics to flip, than start setting up your own table …. Bring at least $500 cash with you for morning deals and in case and print up a big dign that reads “WW PAY CASH FOR ALL COMICS, TOP DOLLAR PAID” - it’ll take 10 minutes to print up signs in word perfect, well worth the time.bold text

I appreciate the advice. I am actually an experienced dealer and have set up at many comic book and pop culture shows. I am always looking to buy collections and successfully have bought a few over the last few years. The main feedback that I am seeking here is that it is primarily a card show. I would be the only comic book dealer at a card show with over 150 tables.@ComicHoarder I definitely need to make up better signs that are more colorful for my dollar boxes. @EbayMafia I like your idea here. I think if people knew that I would be there on a regular basis the word might spread and I could be the go to comic guy. This could be a good buying opportunity for comics from the card dealers. They might see all the comics and tell me they have a bunch at home that they want to move. Maybe I get a few numbers and look at some collections.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601333 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?