Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Whitmans are NOT reprints per Jim Shooter19345

You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen a lot of debate over Whitmans but this is the first time I've seen a definitive answer from someone in the know.
Jim Shooter was interviewed on Bronze and Modern Gods YouTube

and was asked about Whitmans. He said they were just a plate change on the original runs and were not a reprint.
That statement is moving them way up the list for some collectors now seeing them as legitimate 1st prints.
I think that clearly makes them 1st prints and I bet the market has a nice uptick over the next several months as this news makes its way through the collecting world.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
When I check price guides a lot of them are listed the same or slightly higher. I never really knew what they were. My 1st black cat I believe is a whitman.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I believe the Whitman books should be considered variants not reprints as they were printed at the same time as the regular printings. This is true for Marvel, DC and Gold Key versions. The Whitman books were an early experiment in direct sales. The main purpose of the Whitman label was so that retailers couldn’t simply open the bags and return the unsold copies for credit as regular editions.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I believe the Whitman books should be considered variants not reprints as they were printed at the same time as the regular printings. This is true for Marvel, DC and Gold Key versions. The Whitman books were an early experiment in direct sales. The main purpose of the Whitman label was so that retailers couldn’t simply open the bags and return the unsold copies for credit as regular editions.
I totally agree with you Mike.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I just don't remember every hearing the Whitman variants referred to as reprints.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Some of them have "REPRINT" vertically in the character box.
Post 6 IP   flag post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J18P_zlddvk

The spines on some of these have REPRINT on it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Whitman, just like Marvel, had reprints of some issues. Here is an example of the 5 Star Wars #1 comics. This is from Grand Comics Database.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J18P_zlddvk

The spines on some of these have REPRINT on it.
some Whitmans are reprints that were included in multi packs and others were printed for Direct sales. To say they are all reprints would be incorrect.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I would think the Whitman reprints were done at the same time as the regular reprints.
Post 10 IP   flag post
That's why I said "some". It may be the "reprint" ones are the ones with the blank barcode location.

I am assuming they were printed alongside their clones. Run an issue, change the price and barcode print blocks, then run the issue again (adding 'reprint' as needed).
Post 11 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O @HotKeyComics

I just saw this on Key Collector App. He says "Indicated as a reprint by interior copyright information"
I don't have a copy so I can't look inside to see what he is referring to.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@Jesse_O @HotKeyComics

I just saw this on Key Collector App. He says "Indicated as a reprint by interior copyright information"

I believe that is referring to the indicia. SW reprints are also referenced as such on the cover. The one you referenced would be specifically the copy included in “multi packs”
Post 13 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash That makes since. I have seen the ones that say "reprint" on the cover. But never had one from a 3 pack.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@Jesse_O @HotKeyComics

I believe that is referring to the indicia. SW reprints are also referenced as such on the cover. The one you referenced would be specifically the copy included in “multi packs”

Exactly. And as far as I know, all comic book reprints say something to the effect that they are a reprint, second printing, etc in the indicia.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
600682 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?