Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What you think is grade19334

I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Plan on submitting this in June. the back has some weird markings. maybe inking issue?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Assuming the speckles on the bottom back are common manufacturing remnants to that comic, and that the comic does not get pressed:

CBCS 9.2 - 9.4
CGC 9.6 - 9.8
PGX 9.8
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Assuming the speckles on the bottom back are manufacturing remnants,

CBCS 9.2 - 9.4
CGC 9.6 - 9.8
PGX 9.8

even with those back marks? could be printing mark as it doesnt look like like a pen. looks like a print of a mark (checked other copies online dont have such). But 9.4 is what I figured before noticing. even though been a member for over a year. still learning what to look out for

though could at worst be considered stains. my amazing spider-man #365 came back with "stains on logo" in the grader notes
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Without a doubt if those markings are post distribution, CBCS will mark down. If manufacturing, they may not, but I could be wrong.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Without a doubt if those markings are post distribution, CBCS will mark down. If manufacturing, they may not, but I could be wrong.

but the 9.4 is based on that? thats fine with me. those werent caused by me. i think I got comic for a good price at a convention. maybe why. I think even if a 9.0 Id get it graded. heck even 8.0. Im a fan of the dinobots especially Grimlock (its their first full appearance) and thats why I got it when had the chance several years ago. I never noticed them till literally right before posting this. wanted to make sure no bends, or corner crunch or a tiny tear.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
looks better than mines i'll say 9.6 good luck.i'm learning
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
It's a very sweet 9.2 or 9.4. Beautiful white pages. Key book for your personal collection. Come back to the thread and let us know the final grade please!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
In my old age, I can't see if there are any spine tics on the front. If not, I'd say 9.0. If you're pressing, it could go higher.

I agree with @Scifinator about the marks on the back. That's a big question mark that can definitely affect the grade. Also, not sure it's light reflecting in the picture, but on the inside cover, it looks like it has some sort of marking or crease or something. Can't tell for sure. You've also got a tiny bit of blunting on the bottom of the spine. I would definitely have it pressed.

Good luck!
Post 8 IP   flag post
i doubt ill press. already planning on spending a lot to get it graded and 3 others. i think it will be a decent grade regardless. but will check with cbcs with their opinion at convention about those marks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
Also, not sure it's light reflecting in the picture, but on the inside cover, it looks like it has some sort of marking or crease or something. Can't tell for sure.

i double checked. lighting
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@power_struggle55 ok, that's good news. If no spine tics, then I'm sticking at 9.2/9.4 (as long as those marks on the back are a manufacturing error). It's a nice book, and, FYI, I never give an estimated grade on the forum higher than 9.4. (I just don't think it can be done without seeing the book first hand). Anyway, IMO, it's always better to have lowered expectations and see a higher grade come back at the end.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
@power_struggle55 ok, that's good news. If no spine tics, then I'm sticking at 9.2/9.4 (as long as those marks on the back are a manufacturing error). It's a nice book, and, FYI, I never give an estimated grade on the forum higher than 9.4. (I just don't think it can be done without seeing the book first hand). Anyway, IMO, it's always better to have lowered expectations and see a higher grade come back at the end.

just the way the mark are..there are tiny ones as well as the big one near it. I think manufacturer. regardless will grade
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
, FYI, I never give an estimated grade on the forum higher than 9.4. (I just don't think it can be done without seeing the book first hand)

I understand I looked out for corner bends (my amazing spider-man #4 aka first silk had one so dropped in grade which wasnt only issue) or spine stress (another comic had such on back) or corner crush (a comic Im grading as well in june has such) or a small tiny piece missing on side. I have 5 graded comics 2 9.8s, a 9.2, a 9.0 and a 8.0. I look at the graders notes for the none 9.8s look what they mean then compare any future possible with those, Im not perfect but i think I can make decent educated guesses.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Dave52 private msg quote post Address this user
mine was a 6.5
Post 14 IP   flag post
looking at the actual comic closely. it doesnt look like if a marker or a pen touched the back cover. so I think printing error. will still bite the bullet and submit it june. if Im right, grade such be pretty good. If not. it still looks good enough (i have a amazing spider-man #4 aka first silk with a 8.0. biggest issues are a fold on upper left corner of back and missing digital code sticker) but still looks good overall
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
looking at the actual comic closely. it doesnt look like if a marker or a pen touched the back cover. so I think printing error. will still bite the bullet and submit it june. if Im right, grade such be pretty good. If not. it still looks good enough (i have a amazing spider-man #4 aka first silk with a 8.0. biggest issues are a fold on upper left corner of back and missing digital code sticker) but still looks good overall
Do the black spots feel smooth or rough on the back?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
Do the black spots feel smooth or rough on the back?

feels smooth. on the inside of the back looks normal (i believe if pen it would have some effect). why I think its a printing error
Post 17 IP   flag post
too small for marker and doesnt look live if it was a pen. plus if pen there'd be an imprint on the inside

i feel if it was a marker like someone dabbed would be bigger. if pen there'd be as said something on the other end. also feel if it was lets a kid drawing. I doubt that make an incomplete connect the dots. the way the big dot looks is almost like its meant to be there in terms of when image was printed onto it...it was added as well. live ink (is after the fact)
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
With the "Impression" marks on the cover and the print debris on the back I don't believe the book gets into the NM grades. 9.0 VFN/NM at best IMHO
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Assuming the speckles on the bottom back are common manufacturing remnants to that comic, and that the comic does not get pressed:

CBCS 9.2 - 9.4
CGC 9.6 - 9.8
PGX 9.8

No, look closer. At first glance, yeah I’d say 9.4 and 9.6 if pressed.

1/
Multiple finger bends , especially evident on the BC.

Look closer at the ink reflectivity and you’ll see them, they are pretty pronounced.

2/

Fairly deep & color breaking spine tick on FC, around 2,5” under the price box.

3/

Slight stacking curl on the spine.

Most of those finger bends will require spot pressing to fully remove. And some may lightly break ink on the BC.

Without better pics, it’s a 9.0/9.2, may be slightly worse.

Best case scenario, it’s a 9.6 if spot pressed & full book pressed.

That’s of course if the ink marks aren’t dinged as post production defects.

If so, it’s about an 8.0 & not worth pressing & slabbing.

Sell it raw at $40 and let some other sap think he’ll pull a 9.6/9.8 if pressed and slabbed.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
With the "Impression" marks on the cover and the print debris on the back I don't believe the book gets into the NM grades. 9.0 VFN/NM at best IMHO

ok they are print debris. i had no idea what they were called. Im stilling going to get it graded whether you are right. 8.0 I am fine with.

i dont think post production defects. i think it looks good enough for me
Post 21 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Before you send it in to grading, either send it to a professional cleaner and presser, or do some light cleaning yourself (artisian white eraser MIGHT get up those specks). If you go the eraser route, use a piece of cotton pad to lightly buff the areas you erased also.

And BE CAREFUL.

Also take seller's gradings as "guesses".... Ive been disappointed many times where I bought a book that was advertised as a 9.4 or better, and it came back 8.5 to 9.0.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Before you send it in to grading, either send it to a professional cleaner and presser, or do some light cleaning yourself (artisian white eraser MIGHT get up those specks). If you go the eraser route, use a piece of cotton pad to lightly buff the areas you erased also.

And BE CAREFUL.

Also take seller's gradings as "guesses".... Ive been disappointed many times where I bought a book that was advertised as a 9.4 or better, and it came back 8.5 to 9.0.

Im not made of money so pressing is out of question and if I tried cleaning would make it worst. but yeah had that happen. had a a comic thought would be 9.8 or 9.6 came as a 9.0 (I didnt notice spine tics) or one I assumed would be a 9.6 (had digital copy sticker removed) come back a 8.0 because I dint notice a corner fold.

Ill be happy with almost any grade. comic looks good. if it gets a 9.2-8.0 Ill be happy. doubt its a 4.0 or something. yeah pressing will defiantly help but I already plan on spending a good amount to get this and 3 others graded

Im holding off asking opinion on grade of the other 3 (Booster Gold #1 which looks good. no marks, Infinite Crisis #3 which does look good that I can tell and #5 which also looks good but has a small corner spine crunch)
Post 23 IP   flag post
I think you should grade it. Then you will know, it won't eat at you. Normally I wouldn't send books like this unless I was sure of 9.2 up. But you like this book for your collection so why not?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape
I think you should grade it. Then you will know, it won't eat at you. Normally I wouldn't send books like this unless I was sure of 9.2 up. But you like this book for your collection so why not?

i agree. i might be disapointed or I might not.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@power_struggle55 I fully understand where you’re coming from. Have to do what you feel comfortable with. Bottom line enjoy the hobby.😄
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
@power_struggle55 I fully understand where you’re coming from. Have to do what you feel comfortable with. Bottom line enjoy the hobby.😄

im going to stop posting asking opinions about grade. it will cause me doubts if I want to grade a comic I like. if it looks bad...its bad. if it looks good it looks good. there will be a in between (like this)
Post 27 IP   flag post
Please don't get discouraged. Let the experts grade and live with the result. This is supposed to be fun.
I appreciate you bringing your potential submission forward. We all learn.
Post 28 IP   flag post
598086 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?