Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleGrading Help Needed

What do you want in your wallet...errr Collection? CBCS vs CGC19330

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
You pick it. And feel free to proffer your grades.

Graders notes:
Very light creasing to cover
Very light soiling on cover
Very light spine stress lines to cover

OR

Graders notes:
Few small spine stress barely breaks color
Tiny spine corner wear breaks color
Two 3/4" spine bends bottom back cover

Unfortunately, these were taken by different scanners. I believe the first set was enhanced. One of these two is going to be placed for sale at MCS. Both were graded within the last year.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
I dunno, that top one looks like it's been cleaned or bleached or something. Somehow looks 'artificial'.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@codychunn - I believe it the scan was digitally enhanced.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector gecon private msg quote post Address this user
The top one is CGC. You can see the newton ring on the cover.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecon
The top one is CGC. You can see the newton ring on the cover.

LOL!! You're right!!! I wonder if that's why it was enhanced. They tried to minimize the Newton rings!!! 🤣🤣🤣😂
Post 5 IP   flag post
UPDATED to include 2nd set of Graders Notes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
You pick it. And feel free to proffer your grades.

Graders notes:
Very light creasing to cover
Very light soiling on cover
Very light spine stress lines to cover

OR

Graders notes:
Few small spine stress barely breaks color
Tiny spine corner wear breaks color
Two 3/4" spine bends bottom back cover

Unfortunately, these were taken by different scanners. I believe the first set was enhanced. One of these two is going to be placed for sale at MCS. Both were graded within the last year.
Post 6 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll take the less expensive one.
Post 7 IP   flag post
So now we have both sets of Graders notes and it is clear the top has newton rings in the middle of the cover. But, which would you rather have in your collection?

Also, both have at least "White Pages" quality.
Post 8 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I would prefer the bottom copy with the potentially pressable bends on the back cover.
They appear to be in the 7.5 to 8.5???
Post 9 IP   flag post
As long as the discoloration on the top one is caused by Newton rings, I'd go with the top one. I like the staples to actually go through the spine and not be obviously visible on either cover. If it's actually discoloration on the top one (which I don't think it is), I'd pick the bottom one.

Just my 2 cents.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator - I can’t really make a call based on the pictures or graders notes. The bottom one seems a little cleaner, based on the back covers. If you already have both, I would put them side by side and pick whichever one presents better (assuming that they are the same grade or very close in grade). There have been a few cases where I keep a slight lower-graded book over the higher graded one because of how they presented.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
There have been a few cases where I keep a slight lower-graded book over the higher graded one because of how they presented.

I do this. I'll take a book with vivid cover colors over one that's faded. I'm willing to give up to two grade points for this at the low end, and one in the middle to upper grades.
Post 12 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Tough.
Bottom one has bad corners but the top one has a misaligned cover, a pet peeve of mine, and soiling.

Bottom. Depending on grade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@Scifinator I would prefer the bottom copy with the potentially pressable bends on the back cover.
They appear to be in the 7.5 to 8.5???

@Nearmint67 - The Bottom is already pressed. @SteveRicketts applied his craft and bumped it 7 levels up.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Scifinator - I can’t really make a call based on the pictures or graders notes. The bottom one seems a little cleaner, based on the back covers. If you already have both, I would put them side by side and pick whichever one presents better (assuming that they are the same grade or very close in grade). There have been a few cases where I keep a slight lower-graded book over the higher graded one because of how they presented.

Honestly, this is a case whereby I am probably going to keep the "lower" grade in my collection.
Post 15 IP   flag post
So, here is some more...color...if you will:

The page qualities are:

Top - White

Bottom - Exceptional White
Post 16 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
#1 Newton Ring has nothing to do with grade of the book (Newton rings are on CBCS slabs as well)

#2 I don't care if its CGC or CBCS

#3 I Absolutely despise off centered covers

The bottom one with the straight cover for me please
Post 18 IP   flag post
Now for the rest of the story. The top was a recent auction win that was to potentially be an upgrade in my collection. I despise oil slick newton rings and dislike how cgc’s labels detract from focus on the comic. So my intention was to have CBCS regrade. But with cgc consistently overgrading and witnessing CBCS undergrading of recent I fear the 9.4 cgc coming back from CBCS at 8.5 or 9.0. So, i am thinking i will send in to MCS for sale.

The comic below was acquired late last year as a 6.0 raw $65 purchase in need of @SteveRicketts services. Recently got it back from CBCS with grade of 9.0 Exceptional White.

Post 19 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC copy has soiling, while the CBCS copy has larger bends to consider. Since the CBCS one is a lower grade and much cheaper, I'd go there.

Edit: I didn't notice the wrap before. CBCS copy, for sure.
Post 20 IP   flag post
For those that mentioned the wrap, i have to say i think they are pretty equal. I believe that due to suspected digital enhancement, the inner well on the left side is giving the illusion of being white miswrap on the right side.
Post 21 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
For those that mentioned the wrap, i have to say i think they are pretty equal. I believe that due to suspected digital enhancement, the inner well on the left side is giving the illusion of being white miswrap on the right side.

I agree the wraps are the same.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC book has a miswrap on the spine. The white is widest at the bottom and tapers as you go up.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@GAC - i hear what you are saying. At first glance from the scan, it looks like white spine, but it is actually white background through the clear. What appears to be the edge of the comic is actually the inner well.

Post 24 IP   flag post
You can also see the staples.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator You are correct!! I stand corrected! Wow....what an illusion there.....this is another example of advantages of having a book in hand.

I swear I'd put money on that being a miswrap....it is not.
Post 26 IP   flag post
How about those two manufacturing splotches above and below the price box. While i don't think CBCS would mark down for those, it does catch my eye and as such almost makes the 9.0 cleaner to me.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Here is a new comparison: Which would you rather have? Do close ups on the edges, especially the top and bottom.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here is a new comparison: Which would you rather have? Do close ups on the edges, especially the top and bottom.

I hate corner creases, but that edge crease on the 7.5 is a big one. Running parallel to the edge helps on the scan, but I wonder how much it stands out in hand.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Another comparison with back cover images.

Post 30 IP   flag post
597867 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?