Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS PressingComics Silver Age

A Cautionary tale19083

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I am going to preface this with the following: Many of you know that part of the reason I chose CBCS to grade my entire collection was that I observed that their grading was much more consistant and even stringient to standards than the other players. My thinking followed that if such continued to be the case, wider acceptance of the brand would lead to eventual parity or possible lead in valuations of CBCS encased comics would be forthcoming in future years. Current sales were not and are still not a concern for me.

On occasion, in order to upgrade items in my collection or fill holes, I have been known to acquire previously encased comics both CBCS and CGC, that may also benefit from a clean and press. Especially true of older labels from both companies. Most of the time, i get a bump. Sometimes the grade remains the same even when the comic has better visual appearance than before (especially true of newer CGC graded comics that I send to CBCS). Occasionally, it comes back slightly lower. This has been more frequent over the past year or so, in my experience, even with previous spot on CBCS graded comics that I have sent in. And, you know, if I sent in a previous 9.0 CBCS graded comic, Steve Ricketts & his team make it look visibly better and it comes back still a 9.0, I am somewhat ok with that as I am in it for the appearance of the comic not the appearance of the number on the label. Sure, I would like a 9.2 or higher, of course, but I do not want obvious overgraded comics in my collection.

So, on to the cautionary tale. I picked up a Silver Surfer #1 Vol 1 which was graded 9.0 by CGC in 2002 (old label). It was clear to me that this comic could benefit from a clean & press and further, from an archival standpoint, it should be re-holdered. I could send to CGC for re-holder only, but still, there were pressable flaws. Oddly, when I checked for original graders notes from 2002, they were not available, but again I could cleary see that a press would benefit this comic. As such I sent it to CBCS for Press Screen and it was indeed pressed. I figured it would come back at a 9.0 and maybe a 9.2. I could see that there was a slight split on the bottom spine, so I was confident that anything higher would not be forthcoming. I could dream, but I knew it wasn't in the cards. Here are some original pictures:

So here is what @SteveRicketts was able to accomplish:

Beautiful, right? And these are not retouched photo/scans.

I will pause here for a Paul Harvey commercial break. Feel free to chime in with comments in the interim.
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm assuming the grade came back 8.5.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Or an 8.0. Pressing does not increase the grade of every comic. Even if it improves the appearance of a book, it could still cause it to receive a lower grade. Some books, especially older and more fragile ones, should not be pressed. I consider pressing any comic a gamble. You could hit the jackpot, or loose your shirt. So I have to ask, do you feel lucky? Well do you…
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Press screen is only for checking to see if a press would likely bump the grade.

Every Press book is checked to see if the press will cause damage, correct?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Don’t be silly.

@esaravo - I can tell you that the press did not damage this comic.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Press screen is only for checking to see if a press would likely bump the grade.

@GAC - I would say Press screen is to see if a comic may benefit not see if it will get a grade bump. And yes, i know that CBCS will refuse to press if it may likely damage the comic.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Scifinator lol!! If the book came back a higher grade, is this still a cautionary tale?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Scifinator lol!! If the book came back a higher grade, is this still a cautionary tale?
@GAC - patience young padawan. This is my @HAmistoso drawn out thread.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

@GAC - I would say Press screen is to see if a comic may benefit not see if it will get a grade bump. And yes, i know that CBCS will refuse to press if it may likely damage the comic.

Correct, that's what I meant...a press will benefit the book...usually one would hope that it results in a grade bump....a higher grade then it would have received without a press.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Scifinator The post press SS1 looks awesome!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
@Shallabal remains a 10.0 fyi...
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm guessing a 9.4
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm trying to get a read on this thread but it's like the Sphinx....I can't do it. lol!

Its either an 8.5 or a 9.4. lol!
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Missing page discovered. 0.5
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
click bait mostly
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Color touch found. Oh no.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Here are the CBCS graders notes:

tiny spine wear breaks color, 1/3" spine split bottom front cover
few very small creases to cover breaks color front cover
very small arrival date in pen top left back cover
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town - I wanted to draw this out a moment to see what forum members thought.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Post 20 IP   flag post
And now, for the rest of the story…

Being so disappointed and shocked by a grade with grading notes that did not reflect any surprises to me, i had to ultimately send it it to CGC for a re-grade.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Here are the new graders notes from cgc:

spine split bottom of spine
light wear left bottom of front cover breaks color
light wear right bottom of front cover breaks color
light wear top of front cover breaks color
small writing left top of back cover

Again, no surprises.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Here was why why i was shocked and disappointed enough to send to cgc:

Oh, and the cgc grade…. 8.5

Now you know the rest of the story.
Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post
based on the graders notes and pictures...no way that book is a 7.5 or 8.5....I see a 9.2+
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator - So you’re saying I should have CBCS press my copy, but have CGC grade it? Too much time, effort, money, and risk for my taste. But I wouldn’t mind if it was in a nice, new, scuff-free case.

Notes:
light spine wear & surface wear
small creases right front cover breaks color & barely breaks color
light creases top left back cover does not break color
light edge & corner wear
Post 27 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
The split spine would probably take it out of the nines for me. I wonder if it was damaged during the original grading or while in the original holder.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Scifinator - So you’re saying I should have CBCS press my copy, but have CGC grade it? Too much time, effort, money, and risk for my taste. But I wouldn’t mind if it was in a nice, new, scuff-free case.

Notes:
light spine wear & surface wear
small creases right front cover breaks color & barely breaks color
light creases top left back cover does not break color
light edge & corner wear
not what I’m saying at all I’m saying, watch out tread carefully. If nothing else it looks like CBCS is grading super harsh, which we’ve been seeing a lot of not just me other four members but also CGC is completely erratic. I only sent this one into CGC, because the grade back from CBCS was so heavily under graded.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
but also CGC is completely erratic.

This is 100% happening. CGC does not grade higher generally. They do not grade lower, generally. They are, however, all over the effin place.

The few months after they hired all those new graders it is, indeed, throwing darts blindfolded. I just accept that playing in this game is going to yield me 33% accuracy, 33% overgrade, and 33% undergraded. It's the price I pay for playing in this game with their rules, their horsesh$t, and their incompetence.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600780 89 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?