Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Silver AgeMemorabiliaPop Culture

The "Angry Girlfriend Variant" Amazing-Spiderman #14 controversy (my side)18980

Collector Chance_Bartels private msg quote post Address this user
Hi! My name is Chance Bartels and I am the victim of this unprovoked vandalism from way back in 1990 which resurfaces occasionally. This was my then mint condition comic book of Amazing-Spider-Man issue #14. Back in 1990 when we were 19 years old I, lent this young woman my comic book as a symbol of affection and a "trust test" (I did the same with another mutual female friend at the time with my copy of Avengers issue #2). Months after this person ruined my prized comic book in such a savage, malicious way, I did something to her that I'm not proud of. Recently on a message board this woman was not being truthful in terms of the chronological order of my cutting her hair months AFTER she ruined my comic book either due to a false memory (this was a LONG time ago) or she's being intentionally deceitful to make her vicious past act seem less barbaric and like it was a retaliatory act, which it was not. In this very form a couple of years ago the thread was locked before I could respond.

Think about this...WHY WAS THERE NO REFERENCE TO MY CUTTING HER HAIR IN HER MANIFESTO OF PERMANENT MARKER DESTRUCTION IF THAT WAS THE REASON SHE RUINED MY PRIZED COMIC BOOK? There was no reference to that because she struck first UNPROVOKED. PERIOD. Also, I have proof of the actual timeline of the sad events. Book ruined in 1990. Court/retaliation: 1991. I deeply regret my actions I took against my former friend for years at that time and I sincerely apologize to her for my misdeed.

In 1990 when I was 19 I sold the ruined comic book to Titan Games and Comics in Smyrna, GA. Two collectors from Rockmart, Georgia (and owners of the Cartersville, GA Comic Convention) bought the ruined book from Titan Games and Comics in 1993 at Dragoncon. To my knowledge, this book has been in their possession here in the state of Georgia since 1993. I hold no ill will towards my former friend who destroyed my old comic book. This incident and my retaliation was decades ago. We both were wrong. Since that time I've replaced this valuable comic book in my Marvel comic book collection. The true story of what happened to this copy of Amazing Spder-Man issue #14 was told on live radio recently. Thanks for allowing me to explain my side of this very sad story from 32 years ago. Here is the link to watch/listen to the real story (1 hour, 43 minute, 50 second mark:
clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFz_UTpezg&t=6259s
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
She wrote on your comic book. You cut her hair. What crazy things fifth graders will get up to... Oh, wait.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Can I get my 3 minutes back?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Truth, Doc.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@the420bandito Only if you give me a comic book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Last I seen it was at KC Comic Con Aug 2021 in the possession of Ruff Edge Comics

Post 7 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
So you gave your comic at age 19 to a girl you were not dating and wanted to hook up with..

At age 19 I had a girlfriend who wanted the keys to my car so she and her girlfriend could go on a drive... I said nope! No one drives my car.
Let alone give her one of my high grade silver age Marvels at the time.

Yeah I lost 3 minutes of my life watching that video ..

Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Chance_Bartels

Absolutely no provocation?
Post 10 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
O_O

"Your dead", someone dodged a bullet.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Rbolton Still makes me sad to see all of these years later.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Chance_Bartels

Absolutely no provocation?
Correct. I was a pest, but I did nothing to warrant this desctruction or my personal property that I loaned her out of affection at that time in 1990. We were friends for years then, but have had no contact since 1991 except for public gatherings with mutual friends years ago. She makes it sound like I was a stranger and she's not being truthful. Not going to sit by and have my reputation trashed by untruthful claims such as "I ruined his comic because he did this to me." Not so.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@southerncross Haha! At least you heard my side of the story. Thanks very much for that. You're right, I was stupid to let her take my comic book home back then. I do deeply regret my past overreaction to her trashing my prized book & I wish her well. Will not mention names. Just tired of this story about the "Angry Girlfriend Variant" popping up and her accompanying conveniently re-written history.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
To me the real damage isnt the comic book itself, its that some thirty odd years later you are still obsessing over and being damaged by the entire thing. The best and most strong flex you could make of this is wash your hands of it, forget it happened and move on, a wiser and perhaps a bit sadder for the lesson.
Build a bridge, then get over it.
Life moves on, and we are all harmed by hanging onto things that were in the past rather than being concerned for our future.
You cannot step on the same piece of water twice.......
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town You are absolutely correct, and I happily have moved on. The problem is that every 2 years or so starting about 10 years ago (and when NewsWeek published an article about this incident in 2019), this topic arises. There is no way that I will not defend myself and explain the truth about what happened when comments are made and are recycled (some of which I could not respond to when a thread was locked by an admin) that damage my reputation.
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I’d have let her borrow something like crabs………..
Post 17 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_Bartels
@Darkseid_of_town You are absolutely correct, and I happily have moved on. The problem is that every 2 years or so starting about 10 years ago (and when NewsWeek published an article about this incident in 2019), this topic arises. There is no way that I will not defend myself and explain the truth about what happened when comments are made and are recycled (some of which I could not respond to when a thread was locked by an admin) that damage my reputation.

This I agree with. Whether it's right or wrong, we are human, after all.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

each time you respond, each time you again revisit it, you simply prolong and keep the fore burning. We are indeed all human, but there comes a point a person has to ask what you gain from constantly stoking the fires that smolder. Let them die and out and live happily...either way best of luck and sorry that had to happen to you.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:

each time you respond, each time you again revisit it, you simply prolong and keep the fore burning. We are indeed all human, but there comes a point a person has to ask what you gain from constantly stoking the fires that smolder. Let them die and out and live happily...either way best of luck and sorry that had to happen to you.

I completely agree with you, @darkseid_of_town. I'm saying for most of us. It is near impossible to do what you suggest because we are human. There's nothing wrong with doing the right thing; it's just very difficult at times. But yes, forgive and forget.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Do you still offer free haircuts? Asking for a friend.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
The youtube video is a year old. Looks like nobody cared then and nobody cares now. It's interesting how you're calling attention to this one year later. I think most of us on this forum are 40 and older so we're probably not in the demographic of people that give a damn about this comic or the backstory. You'd probably have better luck with a teenage crowd on reddit.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
The youtube video is a year old. Looks like nobody cared then and nobody cares now. It's interesting how you're calling attention to this one year later. I think most of us on this forum are 40 and older so we're probably not in the demographic of people that give a damn about this comic or the backstory. You'd probably have better luck with a teenage crowd on reddit.
@flanders

Ironically, Reddit is the reason I posted this after a pal of mine alerted me that this is still a thing.

Here's the thread there from yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/108kwkr/got_to_hold_a_piece_of_comic_book_history_the/
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Do you still offer free haircuts? Asking for a friend.

What do YOU think?
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Chance_Bartels maybe I just don't care since I've heard about this so many times over the years and never understood the appeal or desire to own the book. Your ex also appeared on the CBCS forum at some point in the last couple years after a thread was created about the book. I remember her posting her side of the story and requesting that the forum moderators remove the thread. I believe the entire thread was deleted and I was hoping that was the last I ever heard about this book but it keeps popping up from time to time.

Edit: Looks like it wasn't deleted only locked:

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/9671/page/3/angry-girlfriend-variant-cbcs-slab---amazing-spider-man-14/
Post 25 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Chance_Bartels

You are forever a part of comic collecting lore now. Embrace it!
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Can I get my 3 minutes back?

Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Reminds me of this video I saw awhile ago (forgive the quality)

Post 28 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Who cares tired of seeing it and hiring about it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Who cares tired of seeing it and hiring about it.

So am I. It's a manufactured item and lore. Gotta respond since I'm a hardcore member of the Marvel Comic Book collecting community since 1982.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600892 58 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?