Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Why i don't pay more than 90% of raw FMV

clickable text

Stuff like this really ticks me off
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio

Seems like this is why you shouldn't pay more than 0% of FMV. And if it ticks you off that much, stop tramautizing yourself by watching these videos. It's been known for years, by everyone who doesn't live in their mother's basement, that PGX is a scam. No need to get riled up everytime it comes up.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Seems like this is why you shouldn't pay more than 0% of FMV. And if it ticks you off that much, stop tramautizing yourself by watching these videos. It's been known for years, by everyone who doesn't live in their mother's basement, that PGX is a scam. No need to get riled up everytime it comes up.

But like..that new guy who worked in a comic shop once is safe yes?? what was it... EGS??
Post 3 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics everybody loves eggs
Post 4 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Lol, I stopped the video when I saw how he spells Brian.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:

But like..that new guy who worked in a comic shop once is safe yes?? what was it... EGS??

Halo bro... that's what's up.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why.... why.... why would any individual in this entire world send an X-Men #1 to PGX. I get it for the Modern books. But an X-Men 1? The financial return is awful, their capabilities are awful, their XXXX is awful, their YYYYY is awful.

What redeeming reason or factor have I missed that would have anyone with an X-Men 1 send it to PGX? Maybe the owner knew it was restored and knew PGX would miss it? I can't even conceive that being a reality as it's a shot in the dark.

There are just some things that come across that I'll never understand.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Why i don't pay more than 90% of raw FMV

clickable text

This is like a PSA announcement.

Just a reminder that PGX is still garbage.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why.... why.... why would any individual in this entire world send an X-Men #1 to PGX. I get it for the Modern books. But an X-Men 1? The financial return is awful, their capabilities are awful, their XXXX is awful, their YYYYY is awful.

What redeeming reason or factor have I missed that would have anyone with an X-Men 1 send it to PGX? Maybe the owner knew it was restored and knew PGX would miss it? I can't even conceive that being a reality as it's a shot in the dark.

Seller - "How can I minimize my investment?"

Maybe the new $600 IRS rules spooked them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cli4dR3D0g
Quote:

Seller - "How can I minimize my investment?"

Maybe the new $600 IRS rules spooked them.

It's more likely: Seller - "My book has restoration...who is most likely to "miss" it"?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I was trying to look at the old PGX case and it appears it was graded 2014.
That was PGX's heyday of missing everything/complete disaster area.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
STAY AWAY FROM THEM.
They are not just incompetent, but the are also criminals. I have seen it 1st hand many times and have heard horror stories from my closest and honest friends.
The only 2 "legitimate" companies, who seem to have lots of problems at the moment, are the only ones I would send my comics to.
PGX is so bad for the newer collectors coming into our hobby. Hate scammers! Sad....
Post 13 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
PGX was the first grading company I ever used. However now I wouldn't send anything that I intend to sell to PGX anymore.
I sold pretty much all of them I had but do come across them in collections I have bought.
Just sold a Shazam #1 9.0 for $120
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
It's more likely: Seller - "My book has restoration...who is most likely to "miss" it"?

This 1000%
Post 15 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Unless I'm missing something, this seems rather harsh.
Cesidio is a good guy.
Post 16 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
To me, they always seemed similar to the "Gem Mint" card grading company whose product I would see at Meijer stores, where every card they graded was coincidentally gem mint 10, despite condition.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The only thing I can think of is someone that MUST have their keeper never-to-be-sold copy in a slab for preservation, and they live close to the PGX basement.
I really wish they were reliable. When I start to sell, it would be SO nice if I could just take a 'quick' drive and drop some books off, and pick them up when finished.
I don't know if it's ever been verified, but the worst story I heard about PGX was them swapping a 1st print TMNT #1 with a 2nd print.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
Just to add a flip side to the PGX story. I found a TOT #2 PGX 8.5 for a song on Ebay. I looked over the photos and took the chance. Received the book and to my surprise, it looked even better than the photos. Cracked the bad boy out and thumbed through each page looking for any indications of restoration. It passed my eye test and was treated to things we can't discuss

I received the shipping update today and....the book graded higher with no restoration!!! I realize this was a gamble but it can be worth it as long as you can see the book before the purchase.

[Edited by mods to delete a picture of a PGX slab.]
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@consumetheliving just a heads up. We can talk about PGX but we can't post photos of their slabs.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Maybe the owner knew it was restored and knew PGX would miss it?

PGX is a very inexpensive and fast service for scammers to get their books over graded and maximize profits for restored books…but people buying those PGX slabs is what encourages it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@consumetheliving just a heads up. We can talk about PGX but we can't post photos of their slabs.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I am not here to defend PGX - but then again

I echo what @Nuffsaid111 said

The cracked comic was graded in 2016 which was for a period where PGX notoriously did not detect / list restoration on labels either unintentionally or intentionally. As such, I would avoid PGX from that period.

However, I feel that PGX within the last 1-2 years have become a bit more reliable so while I am not submitting to PGX I would have no problem buying a recent PGX if the price was right

In short, the video is not really useful
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I am not here to defend PGX - but then again

I echo what @Nuffsaid111 said

The cracked comic was graded in 2016 which was for a period where PGX notoriously did not detect / list restoration on labels either unintentionally or intentionally. As such, I would avoid PGX from that period.

However, I feel that PGX within the last 1-2 years have become a bit more reliable so while I am not submitting to PGX I would have no problem buying a recent PGX if the price was right

In short, the video is not really useful

In my opinion, it is not worth the hassle to figure out when PGX was crap or less crap or the effort of trying to negotiate a below-raw price from a seller or the patience and cost of re-submitting to CBCS/CGC. One really has no idea what they are getting when buying PGX. They are a blight on the hobby and they should be ostracized and ex-communicated.

The only positive I see from buying PGX and cracking out to CBCS/CGC is that it reduces the # of PGX slabs in the marketplace.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I have purchased a little more than a handful of graded books (CGC/CBCS/PGX) in my lifetime.
2 were PGX.

When I bought them, I literally cropped the plastic edges and the PGX given grade; and did what I always do which is grade myself +/- a range from the pictures provided.

In addition I negotiated a price that was the rough going rate for a raw book in the grade I gave; not what PGX gave.

When you treat these PGX books as raw books and don't even bother looking at the grade; and you negotiate an appropriate raw book price, it has made sense for me. For me, it is literally the same as purchasing a raw book. Don't even look at the PGX given grade.

All that said, I would never ever purchase a mega-key X-Men 1 from PGX. I need that resto assurance if I'm putting out that kind of money
Post 25 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
I found a TOT #2 PGX 8.5 for a song on Ebay

Still trying to figure out what TOT is. Tales of Terror?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
I found a TOT #2 PGX 8.5 for a song on Ebay

Still trying to figure out what TOT is. Tales of Terror?

Close, Tomb of Terror. The PGX slab was an 8.5 and CGC gave it a 9.2 universal.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy

I don't know if it's ever been verified, but the worst story I heard about PGX was them swapping a 1st print TMNT #1 with a 2nd print.

I saw the video.. I honestly think PGX failed to see the book was a third printing. The guy kept saying "first printing" in an annoyingly sing-song voice.. REPEATEDLY. Then decided to remove the book, so he can have it regraded by CGC. WHY??? You just had it graded, why waste money? Because he realized this was a scam opportunity. the failed to note it as a third printing, and he saw dollar signs, hoping they would pay for their mistake.

Once he removed the book, he opens it, still doing the overly annoying, sing-song "first printing".. opens the book, and says something to the effect of, "what the fu...?", and stopped. He didn't finish, BUT if that had been me or pretty much anyone else who just got ripped off, I wouldn't have controlled my language. I think PGX failed to realize and note it as a third printing, and the guy attempted to profit off of their mistake. His behavior didn't match up to someone legitimatly being duped for several hundreds of dollar at the time.

And as for my personal experiences with PGX, I feel they've mostly been fairly accurate with the grades I've received years ago, as I've removed several, and have them pressed and regraded, with most coming back higher, and a few coming back the same grade. Only one had come back a lower grade. Also, any book I remove from any slab is pressed before regrading.
Post 28 IP   flag post
601285 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?