Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Raw grading submission?18863

Collector xanman2112 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, I have a treasury edition comic that I'm trying to submit for "raw grading", but the checkbox on the order form is ghosted and I can't select it. Is there a reason?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
You’re going to have to post an image of your submission form for people to be able to provide a proper response.

Off the top of my head I’m going to say that maybe the book is too valuable. Raw Grade has a relatively low FMV limit. $400, I think. It might also have an age limit but I can’t remember and the updated website doesn’t seem to show it anymore
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
I believe they got rid of raw grading except for certain conventions where they advertise it?

My thought is this gives them more time to grade for the slabs.

But maybe someone can confirm this as I think I saw this but I’m not 100% sure
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Radd76 must be correct. CBCS website still lists as a service raw grade and page explains the details. But I tried mocking up a submission and raw grade is grey and cannot be clicked. A notation when you hover the mouse pointer over it says it's only available at special events (or something like that, I've already forgotten the exact wording)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Oh strange. I wonder why? I hope they still honor raw grade orders that are processing now. I have a couple in.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@SidTheSquid oh yeah they still would have all they need to do raw grading they just are cutting back on it most likely because it would cut into time grading slabs-

Raw grading is the exact same graders that do grading for their slabs so it makes sense- their bread and butter is doing graded slabs where raw grading is more niche (and very few even use it).

Thanks for confirming @IronMan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Oh strange. I wonder why? I hope they still honor raw grade orders that are processing now. I have a couple in.

I'm 100% certain they will process raw grade books already received. What is unknown is the turn around time. Raw grade was supposed to be faster given it skipped encapsulation. But I can no longer find a listed TAT for raw grade.

I tried raw grade once - when it was first offered - but that was it. There really wasn't that much difference in price between raw grade and graded/encapsulated. Now with CBCS far more expensive than they were even one year ago - never mind three - raw grade might make more financial sense for some books.

The only times I've used Raw Grade since my first initial submission has been for Treasury Size books. It is the only way to get a "professional" grade on a Treasury.

As I typed the above I now realize this for certain is a recent change. I sent a treasury raw grade submission for a client the end of 2021 or the first month of 2022. So 11-12 months ago I was able to complete a raw grade submission online.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@IronMan if they do open up raw grade again (which I feel like they will at special events and maybe even for a time period like for a month or so they allow submissions for it)- then I would just say be ready to submit when you see it-

But be aware it almost certainly will increase in price - remember price increase for graded slabs were to account for raw material price increase AND wages increasing as well- they would most certainly raise the price on the RAW GRADE price (the same percentage as the graded)- because the materials for raw grade (mylar) and the grading labor is increased- they would still be cheaper than the slabs but I seriously doubt it will be the $8 or $10 they used to be.

I’d never done Treasury with it before but I would also imagine it was more expensive than the regular size comics being much larger (more expensive mylars etc)?
Post 8 IP   flag post
598062 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?