Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

If I buy an ungraded unauthenticated sketch cover...18861

Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
So I want to buy a sketch cover from my LCS but its ungraded and not authenticated. All I know is the owner has been in business for 40 years and it highly trustworthy in my area.

But I DO want the book to be authenticated AND graded.

What are my options to do this? The signature AND artwork would need to be authenticated. I know Beckett does the signatures, but what/who does the art authentication?

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS under their verified option will verify the signature but not the sketch. There’s is no way for CBCS or Beckett to verify the sketch
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
So I want to buy a sketch cover from my LCS but its ungraded and not authenticated. All I know is the owner has been in business for 40 years and it highly trustworthy in my area.

But I DO want the book to be authenticated AND graded.

What are my options to do this? The signature AND artwork would need to be authenticated. I know Beckett does the signatures, but what/who does the art authentication?

Thanks

CBCS/Beckett can verify the signature, assuming it is a known artist and not a local/unknown artist. If the signature is verified then the art does not count against the grade but the art will not be attributed to them.

If the artist is not widely known then CBCS/Beckett will almost certainly be unable to verify the signature.

There is no service that I am aware of that authenticates/verifies art on a hobbyist/consumer level.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Assuming the store knows the artist, and the artist was amiable, couldn't they ask the artist to sign some forms and submit it self witnessed?
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If the artist will fill out the appropriate paperwork, the signature can be graded as a witnessed signature. That's what I did. I also opted for the ART designation as opposed to a numerical grade.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Yup. I think I’ll have to go the Beckett route…. Get the signature authenticated THEN the art cover won’t get dinged on the grading.
Post 6 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 If the artist is one that comes to cons in your area, you could buy the book and have the artist sign it again at a con and verify he or she did the sketch and have it graded as a witnessed signature with sketch...
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 now there’s an idea…
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Nearmint67 @multi007

@DrWatson

Doc explains the proper way to go about this. There is no reason to have the artist sign the book a second time. I will mention that even with this - that I know does work - it seems to bend the rules a bit. The original idea of the artist sketch form - I'm fairly certain - was that the artist or their rep would send the form and sketched/signed books to CBCS when done. But then people began sending the CBCS submission forms to the artist to submit with the books. Which is fine. Saves CBCS from contacting the client. And sometimes artists would send or hand the sketch cover books directly to the client along with the form. And then the client (person paying for sketch) would send it all in to CBCS. Which wasn't really the idea as now the book made a stop between artist and CBCS. A break in the chain so to speak.

So it has sort of evolved....

IMHO just getting the signature verified should be good enough. What artist signs someone else's sketch?

I also give full throated voice to Watson's preference to the ART label. Grading the canvas that art is on (that is to say the book) is an insult to the art and artist. I don't want to own sketch covers because of the condition of the comic book. I want to own them for the art. And it costs less and gets done faster.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
So get Todd McFarlane for example to sign a blank cover. Have a different artist sketch on it. Then have them verify the McFarlane signature.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
So get Todd McFarlane for example to sign a blank cover. Have a different artist sketch on it. Then have them verify the McFarlane signature.

And that's why they don't verify sketches.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
"IMHO just getting the signature verified should be good enough. What artist signs someone else's sketch?"

Great timing!! Funny this exact thing just popped up on Todd McFarlane's quick videos.

Someone sent in a sketch cover done by another artist for Todd McFarlane to sign.

So now the question is this - After Todd signs it, what will the yellow label be?

"Signed by Todd McFarlane on 12/8/22. Sketch NOT done by Todd McFarlane" ??

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2025899224262312/?s=single_unit
Post 12 IP   flag post
598059 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?