Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Modern Age

Back from CBCS - Express service experience18776

Collector mbarb private msg quote post Address this user
It has been awhile since I last submitted any comics for grading, other than TMNT numbers 1-10 to the shop across the street. Just disillusioned by the incredibly long TATs associated with the regular submission process.

I thought I would try out the new CBCS Express service and mailed in 2 comics on November 7. They were officially received by CBCS on November 11. I then received regular email updates throughout the process: they entered grading/processing on th November 14, were graded and in the production area on the 15th, and ready to be shipped, also on the 15th! I received the comics yesterday on the 20th. I have to say that I am very happy with the overall Express experience (aside from the cost!).

Here are the results!

Swamp Thing #1 (1972). My first graded Bernie Wrightson comic!

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #23 (2006, Adam Hughes variant). Pretty happy about this one, as I purchased it from MyComicShop, where it was conservatively graded at 8.0. Just 2 minor color rubs on the back cover.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Except for cost, the express service is great. It's a pity that non-express TATs are so absurd. I have an express order coming back on Monday, and I will share my results then.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher5866 private msg quote post Address this user
Was that express without pressing? How much is that anyway?
Post 3 IP   flag post
No pressing. $80 for Vintage Express and $60 for Modern Express.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I question the competetive value of these fees.
I certainly have not done the Marketing analysis, but to me these 2 fees are a darn alot of money compared to similar services across the street.
We're not talking a couple bucks either which would be a wash to me.
This is significant $$$

I have admittedly used Express, but very very sparsely.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Yup - VIP experience always wins.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher5866 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. At these prices, you should get it back the next day! Has to be really worth it to pay those prices.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Express service is expensive but you get what you pay for. Super fast turn around and great service!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Super fast turn around and great service!

Unless you're @Heinzdad, who received substandard service and mislabeled slabs.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
So my books did arrive on Monday (pictures available here: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/17617/page/11/cbcs-only-slabs-you-just-got-back-2/#266).

The experience is pretty much what I have become used to with CBCS: good grading, good holders, expensive prices for premium speed. All and all, something to be happy with if the price is livable, except: the terrible choice by CBCS to only offer FedEx shipping almost effed it up. Again.

The books left the FedEx depot at 7:45, and were delivered at 21:27. Thirteen hours is too long for a driver to be on a route (it's not healthy for them or safe for us), and getting someone out of bed to make delivery because it couldn't be managed at a reasonable time is absurd. Every single shipment I have had from CBCS has had some sort of delivery issue, all because FedEx is the worst.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarb
No pressing. $80 for Vintage Express and $60 for Modern Express.

Those prices are actually very fair and comparable to CGC rates.

The supergirl is a $500 book, or so, in 9.6 so it passes the FMV cap for CGC modern fast track ($400 FMV cap)

Swamp thing is pre-1975 and above $400 FMV, if I'm not mistaken.

Both books would require standard grading ($1000 FMV cap) from CGC, which is $80, IIRC. TAT is a couple of weeks.

They would probably sell for more if CGG graded, though....but there is the higher risk of a book being swapped out at CGC...the Ultimate Fallout 4 swapped put thread has made me more concerned than ever about subbing moderns that aren't hard to find lesser copies.

I have 3 DC universe logo variants I held back from subbing recently, one of which there has been only 1 copy surfaced since CBSI first published their 2 dcu logo article lists....did not sub it to CGC because I didn't want to get back a regular (direct or newsstand) copy back, that'd be virtually worthless.

One is a DCU logo that has only had 1 other confirmed copy in existence.

The other is a "bat logo" or "dc reader/library" logo from 1996, which was added recently to the speculated to exist list over on the cgc forum dcu logo thread.

I haven't seen any other copies of that book, I found mine a couple months before it was mentioned as a possible dcu variant, and that was a few months ago...every ebay search result I've gotten on these 3 books has not led to anything but false results.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher5866
I agree. At these prices, you should get it back the next day! Has to be really worth it to pay those prices.

$60 and $80 , for books with FMV at $500 or so a pop, doesn't justify a 1 day TAT.

That's walk thru TAT, which is really just for books worth thousands IMO, like an AF 15 or a 9.8 Jim Lee Batman Hush RRP variant etc etc.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
So my books did arrive on Monday (pictures available here: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/17617/page/11/cbcs-only-slabs-you-just-got-back-2/#266).

The experience is pretty much what I have become used to with CBCS: good grading, good holders, expensive prices for premium speed. All and all, something to be happy with if the price is livable, except: the terrible choice by CBCS to only offer FedEx shipping almost effed it up. Again.

The books left the FedEx depot at 7:45, and were delivered at 21:27. Thirteen hours is too long for a driver to be on a route (it's not healthy for them or safe for us), and getting someone out of bed to make delivery because it couldn't be managed at a reasonable time is absurd. Every single shipment I have had from CBCS has had some sort of delivery issue, all because FedEx is the worst.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Nice books!
Post 14 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
...FedEx is the worst.

This is a fact.
Post 15 IP   flag post
600508 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?