Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeWant to Buy

WWCFMD18636

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
What Would CBCS Forum Members Do?

Maybe this sticks as a continuous thread, maybe not.

But, I would like to know, if you could choose between two of the same Gold or Silver Age issue comics that had otherwise same cover alignment and such, and both held equal CBCS grade certifications...

buy

$10,000 - 9.0 w/White Pages

or buy

$10,500 - 9.0 Exceptional White Pages

It can be expanded on both side of the dollar amount, in that

extra $5 on $100 comics
extra $50 on $1,000 comics
extra $5,000 on $100,000 comics

And, if you would pay an additional 5% for an Exceptional White, how much higher of a percentage might you consider?

WWCFMD?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SixgunSamurai private msg quote post Address this user
I’d save the $500.
White is good enough for me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator If I'm paying $10,000 for a book another $500 for exceptional white is a no brainer, absolutely! Paying an additional 0.05% for the exceptional is not a big deal. My state tax is 0.09% so I wouldn't have a problem spending the extra 5% on any Silver or Golden age book. Not so much on the newer books. Most should be exceptional.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn’t title my thread “WWCFMD”. 🤣

But yeah, if you have 10k laying around for a comic book…what’s another $500?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Exceptional White because I’m a WP snob anyway.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would not pay another $500 just for creative marketing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunSamurai
I’d save the $500.
White is good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I would not pay another $500 just for creative marketing.

I'm with these two. I'll take 'exceptional white' pages if they come my way, but I won't pay extra for that the same way I won't pay extra for 9.9 or 10.0 books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
PQ is not important to me as long as it's Cream or better.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

It constantly changes. I have had the same book come back with three different PQ designations. This was with the cgc. I haven't had any resubmitions with CBCS.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

It constantly changes. I have had the same book come back with three different PQ designations. This was with the cgc. I haven't had any resubmitions with CBCS.

I'm not surprised. There's too may PQ levels in my opinion. It should be something like White, Tan, Brittle.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Personally, I don't think it should be listed at all unless it factors into the grade like you mentioned with tan and brittle.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sellers love it because white pages is a carrot they can dangle in front of potential purchasers.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sellers love it because white pages is a carrot they can dangle in front of potential purchasers.

Yes, it is, but if it's what some collectors want, it's harmless and they could be spending their money on worse things.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

Yes, it is, but if it's what some collectors want, it's harmless and they could be spending their money on worse things.

Yes, they could be spending it on exceptionally white pages, 9.9s, or 10s.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
I truly don't think it is possible to get exceptionally white pages on books from the Golden age, as the paper quality isn't up to the standard. Also I always wondered why the inking is not commented on in books as it does tend to fade, especially in poorly cared for books, where the black lettering has turned to gray, or a red suit is now pink.

But all that aside, I am with the others, if you can get it for $500, then get it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I would go the extra 5% if given the option of having the rare "exceptional white" designation. Not much more than that though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks to those who chimed in on both sides of the inquiry. Some may have since figured out why I made the inquiry. Bottom line is that MyComicShop.com had two amazing copies of SS #4 and i have been watching them for quite a while. Continuing to sell some of my comics and saving in hopes either would still be available.

The 9.4 Exceptional White was dropped in price last month to $11,200 while the 9.4 White was also dropped and is currently listed $10,200. With only 4 examples in the CBCS Population Report graded higher and only Exceptional White, i sold/saved enough to acquire it.

It is nice that MCS allows an option for proceeds of sales to accumulate as sales credit to be used towards their auctions and consignment purchases. Keeps the money iut of my bank acct which could then be pilfered for superfluous purposes. 😉

Here it is:

And, here is the other that they still have available:

If you are interested in the other 9.4, here is the direct link: click HERE for direct link
Post 17 IP   flag post
Those are both gorgeous books! WOW!! Makes my poor, sad copy look so much worse.
Post 18 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’d pick the exceptional white example as I prefer it’s spine alignment. At that price point it’s important to get “the one”
Post 19 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Congrats on the new addition. I know you still have a 2 foot wide smile on your face.
You got the right copy for sure...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I’d pick the exceptional white example as I prefer it’s spine alignment. At that price point it’s important to get “the one”
@Joosh - Hey, new profile pic👍

The cover wrap alignment is definitely part of why I opted for the EW.
Post 21 IP   flag post
601275 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?