Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What's Your Preferred Type of Musical Genius?18485

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock
Elvis Costello is a fantastic musician and I agree that he is one of the best and most poetic lyricists aside from Bob Dylan (who I have had the pleasure of seeing in concert). What a shame that his career got side railed for So Long due to him not being able to hold his liquor and saying some utterly unacceptable things. Imagine what a great career he could have had if that hadn't happened.
Post 101 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd Yeah, he has always been his own person, for good or bad, but his music and especially his lyrics are amazing! I am so old that I was lucky enough to see him about 40 times. Will still try and see him more, but now that I live in the Dallas area, it's not easy. Such a very conservitave state that most muscians pick Austin over Dallas, bummer for me!

Cool story: When Dead & Company was going to play Dallas last year(?)they almost pulled out but did not want to dissapoint the fans. So....Weir came out with a giant sign that read "In Texas, the Covid virius has more reproductive rights than women do."
Post 102 IP   flag post
@sborock
Weir says it like it is, and he doesn't care where he's at! Good for him! What a shame that it's so, so true.

I have never had the pleasure of seeing Elvis Costello live, but if he comes around here, I'll be changing that!
Post 103 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd I got lucky living in NY, NYC and NJ for so long that I was lucky enough to see some many great concerts. I had also been flying out to CA since the late 70's to see the Grateful Dead runs every New Years. So many great nights with music and friends!

Hope you get the see EC one day!
Post 104 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of NYC, I used to frequent The Stone. Highly recommend to anyone open to different musical flavors. Speaking of flavors, no drinks or food served there. Was also the first date spot with my wife! Bold move going to a no-drinks venue?

As for unknown music/players, music is like good food, even better when shared. Also, many great artists struggle and even the semi-famous often barely eke out a living.
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
@Byrdibyrd I got lucky living in NY, NYC and NJ for so long that I was lucky enough to see some many great concerts. I had also been flying out to CA since the late 70's to see the Grateful Dead runs every New Years. So many great nights with music and friends!

Hope you get the see EC one day!

I'm here in SoCal, so I get my share of music, but New York is on a different level entirely. Really hope to see a number of the really great, classic musicians before they retire or are gone. I did manage to see Aretha Franklin & B.B. King. Two concerts I'll never forget.
Post 106 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Speaking of NYC, I used to frequent The Stone. Highly recommend to anyone open to different musical flavors. Speaking of flavors, no drinks or food served there. Was also the first date spot with my wife! Bold move going to a no-drinks venue?

As for unknown music/players, music is like good food, even better when shared. Also, many great artists struggle and even the semi-famous often barely eke out a living.

Totally agree!! If I find a great obscure artist, I'm compelled to let everyone I know, know and hope the world catches on.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
EC, Elvis Costello, Eric Clapton, others...hahaha!
Post 108 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Post 109 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@sborock
Elvis Costello is a fantastic musician and I agree that he is one of the best and most poetic lyricists aside from Bob Dylan (who I have had the pleasure of seeing in concert). What a shame that his career got side railed for So Long due to him not being able to hold his liquor and saying some utterly unacceptable things. Imagine what a great career he could have had if that hadn't happened.

I have to admit, I'm one of those who just can't recognize the under-appreciated genius of Elvis Costello. I know that I'm supposed to, and I've tried. I've heard several of his songs on XM radio (First Wave station) and still to me the only one that is memorable is Veronica.
Post 110 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia
His music isn't for everybody, and of course, I can say that about any type of music. There are genres that I have little interest in, but that doesn't make them unworthy or not awesome for other people.
Post 111 IP   flag post
There are some musicians (their art, really) that require more “effort” than others. Perhaps an odd way to describe but I never got into Elvis Costello for that reason; was never pulled into his music organically. Means effort required on my part and I’ve been unwilling so far.

Zappa is another, though I did make the effort and now appreciate much of his work. Zappa is a capable guitarist too. Referring to Frank, though Dweezil is no slouch either.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Not the original intent of the thread, but will list some other great guitarists cuz, why not? Focusing on ones I don’t recall being listed yet:

Les Paul*
Nuno Bettencourt
Jake (E) Lee
John McLaughlin
Tony MacAlpine
Trey Spruance
Brian Haner Jr
Django Reinhardt*
Wes Montgomery

Some of the above write/wrote great songs, some inspire as players, some are innovators.

* These two are fantastic to watch videos of. Django had functional use of only two fingers on his fretting hand but could tear up the fretboard regardless. Les Paul was a virtuoso that played well into his older years and adjusted for his own physical injuries. Incredible players.
Post 113 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Post 114 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros That was awesome, thanks for sharing!
Post 115 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros
That is some great music and the guitar work is stellar!
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
This thread caused me to buy another guitar. I ended up finding and buying a used 1959 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Aged Cherry Burst. I’m going to spend some time this weekend playing it.

So, it sits in my office of with a Telecaster, a Kramer The 84, a Steinberger, a Peavey Tracer Deluxe, and a few other guitars waiting to be played.

BTW, my wife wasn’t thrilled with another guitar showing up. I sold the expensive guitars I owned last summer. I think she thought she was finally getting me headed in the right direction on the number of guitars I owned. This purchase doesn’t align with her plans.
Post 117 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I’m disappointed no one said anything about Milli Vanilli. These guys were so talented that when they sang, it’s although they don’t even own that voice.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Won a Grammy for best lip-synch ever... No, wait...
Post 119 IP   flag post
600892 119 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?