Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What's Your Preferred Type of Musical Genius?18485

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
When it comes to guitar players. what type of brilliance do you gravitate to? What type of genius strikes more of a chord with you?

Are you in the "shredder" camp?
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Herman Li
etc.

"Inbetween"
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Slash
Angus Young
Brian May
Randy Rhodes
etc.

Standard/"Simple"
Kurt Cobain
Johnny Ramone
Steve Jones
John Lennon
The Edge
etc.

Of the three....what does your record collection represent most?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I'm about 50/50 shredder/standard, but that doesn't mean I have no Queen or Led Zeppelin. Both Brian May and Jimmy Page are stunning.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Rivers Cuomo and Harry Nilsson- I have no idea what type either is though...
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
None of the above.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
How is Eddie van halen not in his own category? Lol
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Feel Brian May is the best. his epic solos in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We will rock you" are epic. The way he shreds
Post 6 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
You already know...

Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
David Gilmour.

VH easily the most technically genius but Gilmour is the absolute best player from the soul.

My vinyl represents more Page, Van Halen, Rhoads, and Edge.

CD era, mostly Edge and Gilmour.

Current day, just Gilmour and this guy. Jonsi.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
I like this guy. It’s me!

Post 9 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I appreciate most of the guitarists across those categories pretty equally.

What I listen to most often are likely in the first two categories. David Gilmour, Marty Friedman, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Slash probably best represent my personal influences.

I listen to / play a lot of different styles. Good music is good music.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I like the jangle
James Honeyman-Scott or Johnny Marr type. The Edge is also in that mold
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
I listen to just about everything, but my favorite is Tom Morello. The sounds he can create with a guitar are amazing. Not sure you can put him in one category though.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Most of these players can’t easily be categorized in my opinion but I get the idea.

Shred is not all the same. Plenty of jazz bebop or fusion players shred. Many shredders have great soul and are melodic, etc etc.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
My heart is made of metal, my blood is molten rock, my attitude is shit, and gotta have punk rock! I dig all of that stuff GAC listed, and more. I'm also a multimedia artist/musician, I met my god in 1988, backstage, I asked James Hetfield if he had a guitar pick, he dug in his pockets, pulled out a large handful of change(no quarters, they liked their video games at the time) and a hair tie. Hetfield looked at me and apologized. This was totally awesome to me, that he even dug in his pockets. That same year I met Dave Mustaine at Tower of Records, Mustaine is also a fav. Dave and crew were in a part of their lives full of debauchery and madness. Dave Looked at me and said they were at the gig, they were all partied out, and because I was in my youth, I thought he didn't care about my request(based upon what Hetfield had done), because of my naive, youthful ways, I used to think Mustaine was a jerk. Looking back, I understand more of what was going on and have taken back my thoughts of him being an ass hat.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@makahuka
I grew up in the 70's and while I never dyed my hair, I was still a big ol' punkette. Classic British punk? I'm there!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Glam Rock?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Glam Rock?

Paganini? Liberace?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely this guy. Adam Jones pushes boundaries in music and visual arts
Post 18 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Where does Ravi Shankar fit? You probably need to expand those catagoies.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Steve Howe
Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Richie Blackmore
Stevie Ray Vaughn

If Randy Rhoads were still alive, he'd probably be on the list.
Post 20 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
I grew up on the 60's & 70's Rock.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Bad Company
Black Sabbath
Alice Cooper
Dr Hook and the Medicine Show
Uriah Heep
etc.

Looking at the above names, I only recognize 5 of the names.

I also enjoy the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music.
Post 21 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Slash is definitely my favorite on the list.

I saw the kickoff of their reunion tour several years ago in Detroit and I was absolutely stunned how great Slash still is. He really just kept getting better and better and hasn't showed his age at all on the axe. on the flip side, Axl REALLY showed his age. That Asshole.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So really...vocals and lyrics

John Prine
Robert Zimmerman
Tom Petty
Roy Orbison
Geoff Lynn
Neil Young
George Harrison
did I mention John Prine?
Stan Rodgers
Gordon Lightfoot
Stompin Tom
etc..

will have to think about guitarists...
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Eric Clapton
Pete Townshend
Jeff Beck
Steve Hackett
Roy Harper
Joan Armatrading
Tom Scholz
Jimmy Page
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray

Best Metal Rock singer.... Ronnie James Dio!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
David Gilmour seems a consensus icon. Unsurprising.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I’d say that not too many people posting play guitar. It’s is the only explanation I can think of why Eric Johnson, and Duane Allman aren’t on anyones list or been in a post up to mine.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I’d say that not too many people posting play guitar. It’s is the only explanation I can think of why Eric Johnson, and Duane Allman aren’t on anyones list or been in a post up to mine.

I posted Eric Johnson and then did a classic edit. I actually had his old REH instructional video and let a “famous” virtuoso friend borrow it more than 20 years ago.

Whole host of influences like Johnson and Gambale, Becker, Gilbert, Friedman, Petrucci, Pass, Morse etc… but comic forum is probably the wrong audience.

Edit: also, re: some Van Halen references, EVH was a great innovator, song writer and versatile musician. He was nowhere near tops in the technical category, even in his era. An innovator instead, with massive impact. Similar to Hendrix.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Slash is definitely my favorite on the list.

I saw the kickoff of their reunion tour several years ago in Detroit and I was absolutely stunned how great Slash still is. He really just kept getting better and better and hasn't showed his age at all on the axe. on the flip side, Axl REALLY showed his age. That Asshole.

Axl Rose still sings incredibly well… great, great singer. Natural talent.
Post 28 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

I play, but I think it just comes down to peoples' favorites. Not just lists of who's best. Eric Johnson is incredible, like Satch and Vai, but I don't really listen to any of them.

Was Robin Trower mentioned? I overlooked him in my first post, which is odd because he was up there with Page and Mick Ronson as my major influences.

And unlike Page, he was good live.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
I like those who's talents were cut short by life's misfortunes like Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Randy Rhoads, Jason Becker, Duane Allman, and many more who make you wonder what if...?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601196 119 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?