Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Favorite Old School Video Games18453

Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
For those with a Sam’s Club Plus membership they have the Legends Ultimate Arcade on sale for $470 if shipped. You can add thousands of games via USB loaded with Coinops X.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/prod23603404.ip

Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
See above this is now on sale for $350 none available online but might be available in store for Sam’s Club members.

They also have the Legends Ultimate Mini Home Arcade on sale for $199:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/PL980411412.ip

And the Legends Pinball on sale for $399:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/prod25380329.ip
Post 102 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
You fellas must be youngens. Those are not old school video games.
I played this one when it first came out....
This is OLD SCHOOL..

Post 103 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
One of the first ones I played on my Gateway computer.

Post 104 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
One of the first ones I played on my Gateway computer.

I had to cram for an exam back in college because I was playing Wolfenstein 3D too much! I had to cram for all my exams.
Post 105 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@jake - No one had a personal computer when I was in college. No cell phones either. If you had a computer class, you might be allowed to play an early version of Star Trek. Foosball was my go to game in college. My grades took a hit when they put one in my dorm during the second semester of my freshman year.
Before Wolfenstein 3D, I played Duke Nukem, Lemmings, and a few other PC games. Then Doom came out and that was pretty much all I played for a while.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@jake the apple2e castle wolfenstein was my jam back then. had to go to summer school frequently because home pc's and arcade games were born when i was 11 years old...

And it was the BEST TIME of my LIFE!
Post 107 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo @multi007 Sorry for the delayed response. Had to get my phone battery replaced. It kept dying after 15 minutes with a full charge. Ugh!

In 1984, I was fortunate that my dad bought my brother and I, a used Compaq Compatible. It looked like my mom’s mobile sewing machine from the outside but when you unlatched the keyboard, the magic of monochrome green computer games was unleashed.

I started with Ancient Art of War, Wizardy 1-3, Ultima 1-3, Kings Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Castle Wolfenstein, Summer Olympics, Bruce Lee, Might & Magic, Zork, MUD2, and Flight Simulator. It was kid heaven. My friends and I would swap games, check the latest computer news on the message boards, and would “chat” with one another through the BBSs. The dial-up was miserable. We had a Hayes 300 and were cruising with the 1200 (they don’t measure internet speed in baud anymore!).

Fast forward to college, I played Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Most of my roommates were comp science and engineering students. I was the oddball that was an art and art history major, but we got along fine. Can’t forget about Nintendo and all the Tecmo Bowl tournaments. I wasn’t very good at them, but it didn’t keep me from playing.

Here are a mix of PCs games from different eras that I have remaining.

After college, I got a cell phone. For games, I jumped back and forth between consoles and PCs.

Here are the PS2 games that I have left.

I switched over to Xbox, so I could play with my brother since we live on opposite coasts. Among the Xbox 360, Xbone, and Series X, I have in the neighborhood of 200 games. I don’t play as much as I used to, but my kids sparked a revival with the old games and they have introduced me to a bunch of new ones.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector MRmintastic private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@Rbolton Sounds like you are into the Sword & Sorcery type games a few others that I really like are Magic Sword & Black Tiger.
Plus if you like ghoul type games try Ghosts & Goblins and Ghouls & Ghosts they are both fantastic side scrollers.

Ghouls and Ghosts rocked on the Super NES. I just hated having the go through all the stages a second time... just gave you a greater sense of urgency to defeat Sardius. The old school Kung Fu game was badass too. Castlevania was top notch with the perfect musical score on top of cool backgrounds and bosses. I still remember having a blast playing the arcade version of Wonder Boy. Couldn't ask for more fun from a toddler on a skate board.

Last but not least, who could forget Gauntlet?
Post 109 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 110 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I always liked Joust because it was such a "pure" game with the simple rule of high ground wins. On home consoles I really liked M.U.L.E. A multi-player game where players both compete and collaborate at the same time. The outcome is determined maybe 90% by the players and maybe 10% by instances of good or bad luck...kind of like Backgammon in that regard.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
We spent a lot of time playing Gauntlet on the Game Cube, 4 player hack n slash fun!
Post 112 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up an Xbox one after not gaming much in the last 5 years and got an ultimate game pass code on ebay for only $3 for a month. I'm Flanders82 if anyone wants to add me.
Post 113 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Is this one old school enough 👍

Post 114 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user

Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user

I've been using my super gaming laptop to run software from 1986 lately...
Post 116 IP   flag post
601205 116 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?