Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Post Weird/ridiculous comic sales you come across18433

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Did some more digging on ebay policies on reserve prices and I think the seller of those IH181s is attempting some shenanigans.

The reserve prices are $1.3M and $1.7M or about 10x market price.

There is a reserve fee that ebay charges but is capped at $250. The seller can revise reserve to a lower amount, however…

I could be wrong but believe max ebay fee is $750 for an item

Perhaps but this is what I saw for the reserve fee specifically:

Reserve fees are calculated at $5 or 7.5% of the reserve price you set, whichever is greater, up to a maximum fee of $250.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/selling/seller-fees

Sorry. I didn’t see in your original post that you quoted a max fee. The max fee depends on the category and what type of seller you are (basically your type of subscription). Anyway -hope this is a theoretical discussion as I hope no one will even consider to buy at those prices
Post 51 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I agree but my point is more the seller doesn’t expect anywhere near those prices either. Instead they will remove the reserve prices if they see bids high enough with 12 hours to go… potentially catching some bidders unaware due to their listing description citing the reserves at those absurd levels.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
I agree but my point is more the seller doesn’t expect anywhere near those prices either. Instead they will remove the reserve prices if they see bids high enough with 12 hours to go… potentially catching some bidders unaware due to their listing description citing the reserves at those absurd levels.

Could be but kind of their own fault then. Should never make a bid if you don’t intend to honor it
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Could be but kind of their own fault then. Should never make a bid if you don’t intend to honor it

Interestingly ebay should lower bids to below the reserve price reduction (if reserve lowered) though a) apparently some glitches in practice and b) not sure about confirmatory bids if reserve dropped outright.

In any event, bizarre listings.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Ryan created the hype so he could capitalize on it.

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster
Quote:

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.

And they just got fresh negative feedback.

Perhaps they actually didn’t set a reserve and merely stated it in description to avoid fees? It seems highly likely the feedback is for one of the two IH181s.

Their new feedback:

BEWARE of SHADY SELLER* I won this seller’s no-reserve auction, then the dishonest seller canceled the sale and falsely claimed that the item was “out of stock or damaged”. A seller should complete a transaction no matter how much their auction item sells for; to cancel the purchase and fabricate a reason for canceling is fraudulent and a violation of eBay policy. This unacceptable behavior interferes with buyers, I would have bid on an AF 15 auction earlier in the day and probably won.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.

Perhaps they actually didn’t set a reserve and merely stated it in description to avoid fees? It seems highly likely the feedback is for one of the two IH181s.

Their new feedback:

BEWARE of SHADY SELLER* I won this seller’s no-reserve auction, then the dishonest seller canceled the sale and falsely claimed that the item was “out of stock or damaged”. A seller should complete a transaction no matter how much their auction item sells for; to cancel the purchase and fabricate a reason for canceling is fraudulent and a violation of eBay policy. This unacceptable behavior interferes with buyers, I would have bid on an AF 15 auction earlier in the day and probably won.

These are the 3 books the seller “sold”
Post 57 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
$500 shipping? Is the seller going to board a plane and hand deliver the book?

And who uses a name of a Hollywood actor for a eBay ID?

Red flags with the name before you look at anything else
Post 58 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.

Their new feedback:

That's exactly what happened. He didn't set it as a reserve auction , he just stated it in the description. I saw this coming and wondered how he would explain it to the seller. Glad he got the negative. But his response...lol

Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.

Their new feedback:

That's exactly what happened. He didn't set it as a reserve auction , he just stated it in the description. I saw this coming and wondered how he would explain it to the seller. Glad he got the negative. But his response...lol

Now let’s see how “buyer friendly” ebay really is. If they are then they will perma-boot the seller (or force them to try and work around a ban).
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.

Their new feedback:

Now let’s see how “buyer friendly” ebay really is. If they are then they will perma-boot the seller (or force them to try and work around a ban).

not gonna happen
Post 61 IP   flag post
It should happen but may not because ebay is more seller-friendly today than generally recognized.

This is borderline for ebay, however, as it is a) a low volume seller who b) avoided ebay fees as part of their potentially fraudulent selling practice.

Fraudulent selling practice as they are reneging on a sale through using an illegitimate “option” with zero cost to exercise and no benefit to buyer. A good lawyer can argue this on buyer’s behalf.

Example: if they sold at a price they were satisfied with (unknowable) they would likely close the deal. Buyer on the hook (arguable but based on ebay terms buyer would be). In this case where bids didn’t reach their goal (almost certainly NOT $1.3-$1.7M) they cite the written terms even though contradictory to seller terms/conditions on ebay.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Seller playing a dangerous game as a buyer bidding $50k on a book like that -may- have deep enough pockets to cause a headache through legal action.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This is borderline for ebay, however, as it is a) a low volume seller who b) avoided ebay fees as part of their potentially fraudulent selling practice.

Best guess is that the seller is using the Ebay platform to advertise and fish for private direct-purchase offers. He even mentions receiving private messaged offers in his reply.
Post 64 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user

Post 65 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros that condition looks pretty similar to the 7.5 posted in another thread.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@Sigur_Ros that condition looks pretty similar to the 7.5 posted in another thread.

Yea. Just wonder if this was a bad grader or label/book swap. One or the other.
Post 67 IP   flag post
598010 67 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?