Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
So CGC took a C2E2 exclusive from Black Flag comics and had some graded ones available at C2E2. The problem is, Black Flag bought his own acetate and did this himself, and currently has a video out admitting to this and addressing the line cutting (a big issue blowing up currently), and attached these new acetate covers to the Ultimate Fallout 4 reprints that recently came out himself.
Not a manufacturer, Black Flag.
and CGC gave them blue labels. with 4 staples in them.
and now 9.9 and 9.8s are on ebay with blue labels.
this should kill their credibility, but bad idea should have as well.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Cgc is a joke.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Uhm...why???

smh

So sad our hobby has turned to this bologna.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
WTF...? What clown thought this was a good idea!?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
So CGC took a C2E2 exclusive from Black Flag comics and had some graded ones available at C2E2. The problem is, Black Flag bought his own acetate and did this himself, and currently has a video out admitting to this and addressing the line cutting (a big issue blowing up currently), and attached these new acetate covers to the Ultimate Fallout 4 reprints that recently came out himself.
Not a manufacturer, Black Flag.
and CGC gave them blue labels. with 4 staples in them.
and now 9.9 and 9.8s are on ebay with blue labels.
this should kill their credibility, but bad idea should have as well.

I can't find the video. Is this a Black Flag variant or are you saying they stapled an acetate cover to a copy of the facsimile?
Post 5 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE

I can't find the video. Is this a Black Flag variant or are you saying they stapled an acetate cover to a copy of the facsimile?

They stapled an acetate cover to the original 2021 facsimile.

Word going around is Marvel did not approve this.

Also, a lot of drama over limiting the quantities to the collectors in line but the whatnot sellers were able to walk right up and pick up stacks of 75, 125, etc. Then walk over to the whatnot booth and start auctioning them off.
According to some accounts I've read.

Black Flag basically said "oh well" in a statement they made after.

That's fine, he just wanted the money. Nothing wrong with that. But it angered many who didn't get one.

I'm guessing they thought this was some official Marvel variant. And not the crap $5 facsimile it turned out to be.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
They slabbed it as a Marvel product. To me that seems legally suspect if it wasn't even authorized by Marvel. Could be an issue for both companies? I can't imagine CGC can be making enough money from it to risk getting involved in this way.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
The whole thing is a dishonest fiasco. The acetate cover sucks, too. Just not done very well.
Post 8 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
They slabbed it as a Marvel product. To me that seems legally suspect if it wasn't even authorized by Marvel. Could be an issue for both companies? I can't imagine CGC can be making enough money from it to risk getting involved in this way.

I heard rumor of a cease and desist letter but I don't know what good that would do if its sold out already.
Post 9 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is attempting to tarnish the reputation of clowns and jokes now?
Post 10 IP   flag post
the video is gone but this was the link. it was around 28 minutes and was a lot of the guy from black flag saying how he presold some to influencers and nobody cut the line, and how he bought all the materials himself and had it done himself and had so much money invested in them, blah blah. I skimmed about 10 mins of the 28 mins.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=595224405597756
Post 11 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Shouldn't that get a green label or purple label. They have altered the original book, diqualifying it from Blue label eligibility????
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
the video is gone but this was the link. it was around 28 minutes and was a lot of the guy from black flag saying how he presold some to influencers and nobody cut the line, and how he bought all the materials himself and had it done himself and had so much money invested in them, blah blah. I skimmed about 10 mins of the 28 mins.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=595224405597756

That's shady as hell. So he admitted he attached the acetate cover himself?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Reminds me of the van Gogh exhibit I just saw.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
I heard rumor of a cease and desist letter but I don't know what good that would do if its sold out already.

Marvel has ZERO sense of humour about this kind of rubbish and they're right. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they threaten legal action.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Even if they sent out a cease and desist letter, what grounds do they have when someone adds a cover to a comic that they own?
Post 16 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Damn. I almost bought a copy from comic mint earlier today....
Post 17 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Is there an invisible variant?
Post 18 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:

Even if they sent out a cease and desist letter, what grounds do they have when someone adds a cover to a comic that they own?

Correct. He apparently said he intentionally avoided anything copyrighted.

He owned the books. He stapled something to them, and he sold them.

No issues with that, but I wonder how many of those Whatnot sellers auctioning them off said that's all it was.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, for those of us old folks that aren't really keeping up with new "comics" technology, would anyone mind taking a minute and telling me what Black Flag is, and what an acetate is?
thanx.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Black Flag is a comic book reseller that apparently works closely with Clayton crain. Acetate I assume is the clear plastic stuff teachers used back when over head proje tors were in use.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It appears Black Flag is a comic shop that will occasionally get comic shop variants.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
So it's just a comic book with a piece of clear plastic stapled around its cover? Why would anyone want that?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
From my 10,000 foot limited simplistic perspective, a comic was altered but got a very high-grade CGC blue label?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Just throwing this out there as I'm trying to think why CGC would authenticate this book with a blue label.

Artists can sign and sketch on a comic cover, sign up for a "creator" account or whatever it's called, and send it to CGC/CBCS for a yellow label. Since Black Flag comes out with their own shop variant, if Black Flag were to put their own "signature" on a book and sent it directly to CBCS/CGC would it get the same treatment that a "creator" would get since it came directly from them and not a customer?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Black Flag is a comic book reseller that apparently works closely with Clayton crain. Acetate I assume is the clear plastic stuff teachers used back when over head proje tors were in use.
Mostly.

Acetate is used as a protective cover, for overlaying graphics for special effect (like blood spatter), in place of paper for its ultra shininess, or for graphics that cannot work on paper (like the Chromium Valiant covers).

Acetate is also ph neutral so it works well for our hobby in the long term.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@dennisqdw

When I was shopping at comic mint. I thought it was a limited release variant. I'm glad I couldn't find it now.

Given popularity of miles morales I thought it would be a good speculation book. Especially since I have never heard of it before. There are a lot of new books out the past few years that are completely new to me. A metal cover for example. Is it really a metal cover or is it a foil? I have no clue. I assumed comic mint would not deal with sketchy stuff so I assumed it was legit.

Glad I'm old and too slow to figure out the web site now though....
Post 27 IP   flag post
So is this the next one? It doesn't seem like anything is on ebay now.

CGC Cert #
Title
Ghost Rider
Issue
Issue Date
4/22
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Variant
""Zymotica Vs"" Acetate Edition
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
07/28/2022
Grade Category
Modern
Art Comments
Benjamin Percy story
Cory Smith art
Clayton Crain cover
Key Comments
Acetate cover.
Ghost Rider #247
Infinite Black Publishing exclusive.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I assumed comic mint would not deal with sketchy stuff so I assumed it was legit.

I understand the confusion. Comic Mint has always been very safe.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Is Black Flag Comics, Infinite Black Publishing?
Post 30 IP   flag post
597982 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?