Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeRaw Comics For Sale

Best, quickest and most profitable way to sell entire collection?18104

Collector furlo316 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, going through the big marital dissolution, and want to sell my entire collection. Mostly Marvel, approx. 9000 books, tons of silver and bronze age stuff, and a good amount of golden age as well! Autographs, exclusives, slabs including Hulk 181 CGC 6.5 and 182 CGC 7.0 among many others. Many full runs. Its my personal collection so it contains the good stuff. I just don't want to piece this out, it will be way too much work. I need help! Thanks all.
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@furlo316 sorry to hear that.

I would go to mycomicshop
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure this is of any help, but first thing I would do is catalog everything you have. Then I would mail heritage and other auction places "if" your collection is significant. If not, I would try and ask some of the bigger comic dealers and mail them your list for their offers.

If most of your stuff is drek, I don't know what to suggest. Quantity is not always quality.....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
These three “best quickest most profitable” don’t go together.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
90% of your value is in 10% of your books, sell those individually. Do not care about runs, break them up and remove the valuable ones. Take the 90 percent to a shop for whatever you get, or to a show and blow them out cheap.
Heard about a guy, his dad died and he took about 300 graded keys he inherited to a show where he got a table, priced them all at Overstreet. Sold it all in a couple of hours, job completed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
If you really want to do it all at once @GAC has the best solution. Call @sborock at MyComicShop. Buddy and Conan have stuffed his pockets with buying dollars and as near as I can tell he's having the time of his life.
Post 6 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Others have already stated but you can’t typically maximize speed and profit. Exception may be a rapidly declining market…

Best is subjective based on how much you value speed vs max value.

As doog said, you’re likely best off splitting the collection by value. Also, don’t play the game of setting ask over market. Find prices where the books are transacting and list at that level. If you value speed, list slightly below.
Post 7 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Give half of the collection to the other party of interest.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If you want the maximum profit with least amount of effort...mycomicshop is your best bet. They'll give you a great offer on all your slabbed key books and fair offer for the rest of the stuff. The point being is that you can move your collection with relative ease and know you got a good price for it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear.

Couple of questions:
Is the sale mandated as part of division of assets?
Is it to raise funds to pay for divorce (if there is any amicable part to this you should consider a mediator - much cheaper. But if contentious, sorry, that sucks)?

As others said, quick and most profitable are mutually exclusive. The quickest way to move a collection is a comic shop or dealer who will buy it all. Yes, wholesale, but that is the quickest route.

Most profitable woupd be sell keys (Hulks etc) on eBay, throufh the boards, or to other collectors for as much as possible. Then dump the rest with a dealer or shop. You may end up with the same amount either way, with much less headache selling to a deaper or store (or to one of those ads in the Overstreet Price Guide).

Been through the divorce thing so if you have any questions please feel free to DM me.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
When you have to sell, you will only receive about 30% of FMV, because you do not have the luxury of waiting for better offers.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastpearce
When you have to sell, you will only receive about 30% of FMV, because you do not have the luxury of waiting for better offers.

not for slabbed key books....these are highly liquid and should receive atleast 75% FMV...that's what mycomicshop would offer (give or take). The drek...maybe you're right.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll just ask: what would you like for the collection? Figuring for the convenience of bulk sale and factoring that into your asking price?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Danno private msg quote post Address this user
I was in a similar situation (sans the marital part) last spring. I wanted to move on from my PC, which was 10k of raw books that were mostly Marvel. But I wanted to do it in a way that was the most convenient and least amount of work. The option that worked best for me was unloading it to a local auction house. Your best option, which probably won't be the most profitable, though it sounds like you have a very desirable collection, would be to check about consignment with any auction houses in your area. If they're close enough, they might offer to pick up your collection, but it will be at an added cost.

My Comic Shop and Heritage, I think, are good auction options that are worth exploring, but getting the collection to them could be a challenge.

If you know of any individual collectors in your area who buy collections, you may want to seek them out, but that's less likely to be a profitable option. If you're on the east coast, I'm aware of a few collectors who might be interested in buying your collection and would pick it up if you weren't located too far from them.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Call the Bookery in Fairborn, OH. Tim is solid to sell to.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Rob at Red Hood Comics buys collections and has traveled across the country as well. You can DM him on Instagram.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
3 keys to a successful negotiation…Terms, Conditions and Price. Someone who can come to your home is probably more valuable to you than if you have to transport the books. Allowing payments over time can fetch a higher price than requiring payment upfront. Etc, Etc. Figure out what you need and what you can offer by way of terms and conditions before you dive into price. Personally I would look at books worth over $300 as one collection, books worth $50-$300 as a second, and the other 8,000 books as a third. Get your value (maybe 75% of FMV) in collections #1 and #2, focus on speed and convenience for collection #3.
Post 17 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Also worth noting, when possible don’t let your counterparty see your hand. Depends on level of trust, of course.

While a mix of terms and price negotiation is key, I would save that for the 90% (or whatever) of your collection that is worth 10% of the value.

For high value items you are likely better off focusing on transacted prices and offering up at or slightly below recent sales. Especially if we are talking higher volume, frequently transacted books.

If someone knows you are in a rush, it can ironically take longer to sell or yield less $ or both… it opens a dimension to the negotiation best avoided. For the high $ items that transact, if you can sell slightly below or at true FMV you are more appealing than 95%+ of fixed priced listings and less uncertain/more convenient than auctions.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Others have said so, but I'll repeat in my own terms

"Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?" is a saying in auto racing. It applies here.

"Best" is a relative term. Which is most important? Speed or money?

The fastest ways to sell will not generate the most money. The most money takes the most time. As you say, "it would take to much work" to piece it out. If someone else does all that work they expect to make money doing so.

You are going to have to decide - on a sliding scale - what is best for you. Others have already mentioned various places to sell. I would add not overlooking comic books stores within a few hundred miles. You want to look for one where they sell a lot of back issues and the owner is actually interested in comic books. A nice personal collection will at those stores get a decent offer. For everything, cash handed to you and done same day, typically an hour or so.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector silveragecomicsuk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by furlo316
Ok, going through the big marital dissolution, and want to sell my entire collection. Mostly Marvel, approx. 9000 books, tons of silver and bronze age stuff, and a good amount of golden age as well! Autographs, exclusives, slabs including Hulk 181 CGC 6.5 and 182 CGC 7.0 among many others. Many full runs. Its my personal collection so it contains the good stuff. I just don't want to piece this out, it will be way too much work. I need help! Thanks all.

Sorry to hear. We consign many huge collections but our terms are keys only 500$ min books

Facebook.com/silveragecomicsuk
Instagram.com/silveragecomicsuk

For an idea of the kind of books we consign. You hold the books. We find you buyers. You get paid first. You ship to them. Then when they get it. We get paid. Saves a lot of headache for you.

Let me know if this is of interest.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Where you located, what’s your asking price
Post 21 IP   flag post
598060 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?