Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Ff 48 goodpickup?17784

Collector Cosmic_Surfer private msg quote post Address this user
recently got this for $580 was more of an emotional get šŸ˜‚ but need an honest opinion if it was worth the first page is missing and book is detached from the cover but the covers are fully attached and there seems to be a rip threw a add page
together

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
If thereā€™s a book that might bump up and be worth that itā€™s prolly this one- for that price Iā€™d have wanted to have the complete story though- maybe you can be on the lookout for the missing first page- there are groups that sell incomplete / just cover / just pages out there and watch the auction sites?

Front cover presents very well!

I have three complete copies of this book - two higher grade I bought for $500-550 each back in 2005-2006 (guesstimate of 5.5 to 7.0 on them but also never pressed) and a CBCS 1.8 yellow label one signed by Stan Lee I got for $600 a few years ago-
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thatā€™s a very good idea thank
You bro and thatā€™s crazy what a collection congratulate Fr
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher5866 private msg quote post Address this user
I think if you get it graded and get a grade anything better than a 1.0, you should be fine! I see one sold on eBay for $1250! That book is classic ai believe it will only grow in worth!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong AT ALL in getting a book you want at a price you're willing to pay. @radd76 @Watcher5866 are right, this is a good book to have regardless of condition.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Watcher5866 missing pages he wonā€™t get higher than a 0.5 (highest he can get).

1.0 is in bad shape but complete.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Is not going to get a 1.0 with a missing page. Is it just the page, or the entire wrap?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Just the page and I donā€™t really care about the grade just care if I got my $ worth
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Cosmic_Surfer the grade is how you find out your value-

A 0.5 FMV on this book is $650 currently.

The 90 day avg is $599

Low is $526
Post 9 IP   flag post
I don't think you got your money's worth. If it were missing a non-essential part of the book, then I'd say maybe, but the splash page is maybe just as important as a centerfold.
Post 10 IP   flag post
So you didnā€™t get ripped off but it wasnā€™t like a great dealā€¦.

You paid what they are going for-

But keep in mind those figures I shared are a graded FF48 so you still have the expense (and the wait) if you choose to have it graded.

But after that expense you should be in a good place for the FMV- and this book will only go up between now and the FF movie / Silver Surfer MCU appearance. Prolly one of the safest investments in comics frankly-
Post 11 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE you do have a point- thatā€™s why I mentioned him finding the splash page and I would guess they will set you back $75-$100 for a splash page of a key (especially this magnitude)!-

CBCS may also grade lower with it missing a page (story) and will for sure be notated on the label.

That ad page looks to be more than a rip as well as youā€™re missing most of Dr. Dooms face- like maybe a kid cut out his face?- so wonā€™t deduct as a rip but a cutout-

But again everyone getting this book is paying premium right now- if the FF movie disappoints could be a buying opportunity then - but if itā€™s done right this book just keeps going up- only time will tell-
Post 12 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
So you didnā€™t get ripped off but it wasnā€™t like a great dealā€¦.

You paid what they are going for-

But keep in mind those figures I shared are a graded FF48 so you still have the expense (and the wait) if you choose to have it graded.

But after that expense you should be in a good place for the FMV- and this book will only go up between now and the FF movie / Silver Surfer MCU appearance. Prolly one of the safest investments in comics frankly-

I agree. You didn't get a steal by any stretch, but I don't think you got ripped off. You'll definitely want to see if you can find a 1st page, because even a Frankensteined page is better than none.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@50AE_DE you do have a point- thatā€™s why I mentioned him finding the splash page and I would guess they will set you back $75-$100 for a splash page of a key (especially this magnitude)!-

CBCS may also grade lower with it missing a page (story) and will for sure be notated on the label.

That ad page looks to be more than a rip as well as youā€™re missing most of Dr. Dooms face- like maybe a kid cut out his face?- so wonā€™t deduct as a rip but a cutout-

But again everyone getting this book is paying premium right now- if the FF movie disappoints could be a buying opportunity then - but if itā€™s done right this book just keeps going up- only time will tell-

I agree. The splash page for this book is going to be at least $75 to $100. Add that to the cost of the book and it gets the cost to $655 for a Qualified book. I don't think it's worth it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
If owning it makes you happier than $580 in your wallet, it was a good purchase.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE doesnā€™t have to be Qualified to be 0.5ā€¦ there is a CGC Blue 0.5 missing page 3 right now up on eBay. So no qualifier.

Also ALL the $579-$649 books up on there now I would rather own hisā€¦ the $649 would be the closest but that allows for him $70 toward the splash page- that in place itā€™s better than half the front cover.

Reason Iā€™m sticking to you didnā€™t get some incredible deal at $580 but you didnā€™t get ripped off-

No one is going to find the complete interior and complete front cover for less than you paid- thatā€™s why Iā€™m at you paid what itā€™s worth today-

In a month or a year I believe itā€™s going to be worth moreā€¦ and if itā€™s the only copy you own of it then itā€™s that much better of a buy.

Post 16 IP   flag post
the book was missing stapels that the seller didnā€™t say in the listing so I asked if they could cancel the order

Also ALL the $579-$649 books up on there now I would rather own hisā€¦ the $649 would be the closest but that allows for him $70 toward the splash page- that in place itā€™s better than half the front cover.

Reason Iā€™m sticking to you didnā€™t get some incredible deal at $580 but you didnā€™t get ripped off-

No one is going to find the complete interior and complete front cover for less than you paid- thatā€™s why Iā€™m at you paid what itā€™s worth today-

In a month or a year I believe itā€™s going to be worth moreā€¦ and if itā€™s the only copy you own of it then itā€™s that much better of a buy.

Post 17 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Comparing asking vs transacted prices makes no sense.

As for prices in a month or a year, the seller likely disagrees. So do I ;-)

Quote:
@50AE_DE doesnā€™t have to be Qualified to be 0.5ā€¦ there is a CGC Blue 0.5 missing page 3 right now up on eBay. So no qualifier.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_Surfer
the book was missing stapels that the seller didnā€™t say in the listing so I asked if they could cancel the order

Good call. Wait and save up a few months to get yourself a complete copy.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave here are COMPLETED auctions: not much difference- (incomplete, remaindered, torn front covers)- very much in line (something / parts missing that makes these 0.5)- and comparable to the book posted above- as long as his isnā€™t restored might actually be much better than these.

The seller provided all the pictures to Cosmic Surfer he posted to show us-

And also my previous post were the CHEAPEST sellers are asking for a 0.5 FF48ā€¦ granted one had ā€œbest offerā€ but I doubt they take hundreds off lol-

In fact even a restored in the completed auctions I just posted (which should be FAR lower than the blue in same grade)ā€¦

He didnā€™t get a steal but he didnā€™t get ripped off- this is a very sought after and hot comic books- folks that donā€™t own it just want a piece of it right now and 0.5 are even $500+.

Itā€™s just the market right now- people are sour cus missing something but ā€œmissing somethingā€ is at that price point so you have to decide what is right for your collection (May not be right for someone else)- but $500-600 is about right for a 0.5ā€¦ add $75-100 and get that splash page if one pops up-

Or ask for money back (as I think you already have) itā€™s your choice youā€™ve got 30 days or something like that with eBay- and start saving to about 800 to 1,000 for complete. In fact Iā€™m going to put it on watch and come back here and post what it goes for - so then we have a second go round to see what the market (sold item) has on it)- remember Cosmic Surfer bid it to the next competing offer as well so the first auction Cosmic Surfer AND one other person bid that sold amount- will be interesting to see as itā€™s the lowest low grade on eBay up-

Post 20 IP   flag post
601275 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?