Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

These Types Of Sellers Frick Me Out17651

Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe they ought'n but they do. People still fall for the ol' Famous 1st Edition scam. Don't even know why I care but I do.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/pattysnakes/m.html?item=394075270105&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think I'm ok with it - all the items clearly say they are replica or prop
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Where do these fakes come from? Who makes them? It’s scary if someone gets one and you don’t know.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Unless Marvel/DC is making them or has authorized them, I can't imagine it's legal use of copyright material.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I think I'm ok with it - all the items clearly say they are replica or prop

I'm ok with it as far as busting out a mint copy of Bat 1 and scaring my friends with it but it's the people who buy these up then scam on unsuspecting buyers. I don't know why I even care. Buyer beware and all that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed. They're bad for the hobby. It's copyright infringement and who knows who's hands they're falling into next or what they'll do with them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely violating copyright laws. I'm sure DC or Marvel didn't authorize the use of their published material.

Usually eBay kicks this type of listing. In the description for the $1,580 listing, it says "I am back with a large selection of the best replicas on ebay." Key word being "back", must have gotten kicked previously, probably set up under new ID. You can report listings like this by clicking on Report Item. I just did.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Unless Marvel/DC is making them or has authorized them, I can't imagine it's legal use of copyright material.

Their replicas are usually marked with a different price tag or some giveaway indicating such. I don' see anything on these saying they are fakes other than the seller has to say they are replicas while selling. I buy a Bat 227, then push it off as raw on someone. A raw 9.8 Bat 227 could fetch $20-$30k from the right boob.

I suppose these are downloads off a site that posts digital copies.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Definitely violating copyright laws. I'm sure DC or Marvel didn't authorize the use of their published material.

Usually eBay kicks this type of listing. In the description for the $1,580 listing, it says "I am back with a large selection of the best replicas on ebay." Key word being "back", must have gotten kicked previously, probably set up under new ID. You can report listings like this by clicking on Report Item. I just did.

Would I click report on each item or the seller themselves?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Did this guy make his own slabs?
What's a "9.8 white pages" guarantee mean?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Did this guy make his own slabs?
What's a "9.8 white pages" guarantee mean?

It appears there are hinges up top and press in tabs on the bottom. Other pictures show the book outside of the slab. So, perhaps the book can be taken out and read. Or line a parrot cage or slap spiders.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
This is uncomfortable to me. "Hi, I sell scammer props" level of uncomfortable. It's one thing if this is perfectly legal because the material is licensed by the seller or whoever the seller bought it from. If it's an authourised reprint, then there will be something on there to differentiate it from an original copy, so buyers have a fighting chance of not be taken for a ride. These don't look like that. These look like print-outs from digital copies. Not okay, IMHO.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
It appears there are hinges up top and press in tabs on the bottom.

It's a product called comic skins.

And yes, you can take the book out and reuse the case on another book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I'm more worried about the people buying these books than the ones selling them. I can see pages from these books getting married to books missing coupons or clipped ads/pages. I can also see people sending the pages to get graded since that's a thing now.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
I'm more worried about the people buying these books than the ones selling them. I can see pages from these books getting married to books missing coupons or clipped ads/pages. I can also see people sending the pages to get graded since that's a thing now.

it would be easily detectable though and they would get the appropriate purple label.

even grading an individual page would be easy to spot an age appropriate newsprint vs current manufacture newsprint.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE

it would be easily detectable though and they would get the appropriate purple label.

even grading an individual page would be easy to spot an age appropriate newsprint vs current manufacture newsprint.

I'm not talking about getting these pages graded by CGC or CBCS, but rather other start up companies. I don't think they'll have the expertise to tell the difference.

There are ways to make a page seem older than it is. I agree it's easier to detect the married pages, but that's if pages quality is different. It's easier to spot a repo cover since the art gets enlarged and then trimmed to the correct size but interior pages may not be as easy since there won't be any reference points to refer to to compare. If a seller can get a qualified copy of a book and marry one of these repo pages to it then some poor sucker is going to get scammed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I was looking at his feedback and saw that a Hulk 180 sold for much more than any of the other huge keys. Took me a while to figure out why that would be. Cause that’s the value range a buyer would be most likely to be able to pull of a scam with. Also newer, so less concern about the fresh pages and lack of wear.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I’m probably going to buy a few of them and use them to scam my kids. Let them fight over the inheritance and try to prove to me which one is most deserving to get my key comic books.
Post 18 IP   flag post
If you look at the sellers feedback (as a seller) you see that one buyer (the one with 2688 feedback) has done about 80% of the purchasing. I'm a little scared of that guy.
Post 19 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Clearly illegal. Let’s see how long ebay takes to actually take them down.

Not good for anyone to have this garbage floating around.

Edit: clearly good for scammers.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
If you look at the sellers feedback (as a seller) you see that one buyer (the one with 2688 feedback) has done about 80% of the purchasing. I'm a little scared of that guy.

Dayum! And at $99 a pop, that's a lot sunk into fake books! I'm scared now, too.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
I’m probably going to buy a few of them and use them to scam my kids. Let them fight over the inheritance and try to prove to me which one is most deserving to get my key comic books.

I almost wish I had kids just so I could try this...
Post 22 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I can't see why any collector would want to pay $99 for a fake when they can probably pick up a mid to low mid grade minor key for under $99 and then they can take the left over money and take the kids out for ice cream and explain the collectibles would be sold and the profits wasted so there's no future inheritance.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Not good for anyone to have this garbage floating around.

I could think of a lot of ways to have innocent fun with these books though. For a dealer who sets up at a convention, toss them in a box...tell people you just bought the box for hundred bucks, haven't gone through the box yet but they're free to take a look.
Post 24 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15

Would I click report on each item or the seller themselves?

I don't think there is a mechanism in place to report a seller, just the inappropriate listings.

About a third of the way down the page, to the right of the Description and Shipping tabs, it says Report Item. You follow that link, fill out the boxes, hit Submit. You could do it on every listing, if you have time to kill. The more people who report it, the more likely it will get pulled. Or not - eBay is not the brightest company. And eBay makes money when he sells his "replicas".

The real power to fix this resides with Marvel or DC, but they have other stuff to do, apparently.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Or you buy them so you can salt a collection of say a couple thousand mid/ higher grade 60s-70s collection and say you just want a few grand cash no questions, see that being able to be done during a busy convention.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
are these authorized by marvel/dc??? also are those prices fair?? seem awful high.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I guess I’m the only one…but something in me wants to buy one.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
Quote:
are these authorized by marvel/dc??? also are those prices fair?? seem awful high.
me too
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

I almost wish I had kids just so I could try this...
you know that could backfire and they take you out to get books
Post 30 IP   flag post
600771 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?