Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Why no green or purple label?17373

Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious- does CGC have exclusive rights to use these labels?

Or just a choice CBCS (and others) made to limit the amount of labels they use?

Noticed you also don’t see green or purple labels used on any other grading company labels either-

I know if qualified or restored it is noted on their blue labels but seems like the green and purple labels are a good idea for selling (good for the buyer so they don’t accidentally pick up / pay too much if a book is missing anything or has been restored).
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
You don't see them because no one likes them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
Just curious- does CGC have exclusive rights to use these labels?

Short answer. No. CBCS can use blue, yellow and any other color they want.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Cowabunga_Kyle

Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@radd76 As far as the green label goes, it is seen by some as a ploy by CGC to get higher graded books in their labels out there.

You suggest that it’s good because a buyer knows that the book is missing something but many would say that it is in fact more deceptive because the grade attached is artificially high and it obfuscates the actual condition of what you’re buying.

If a book has a major tear through the cover but has a 7.0 in a green label what would the grade be of it hadn’t been in a green label? So as a buyer how much should you pay for that book?
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
It's simply choices that the company made, @radd76.

CBCS choose to note restoration and conservation on their normal blue label.

Additionally, they chose to give each book a single grade option (assuming no restoration or conservation) rather than the two options provided by CGC (blue label true grade or green label grade qualified grade).

Personally, I do not like the CGC green label "Qualified" option. I think that each book should be graded in its entirety and that its label should reflect that grade.

However, I also think it's kind of useful to see a restored book labeled with a different color. Makes it really easy to see that restoration has been found on the book.

Of course, others will have differing opinions.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah I guess I can kinda see it both ways-

As a seller I hate to see purple and green… but as a buyer I’d like to have a pretty good indicator a book has been tampered with (missing parts or restored)-

But my thought too is if someone pays blue price then notices the caveat of the details on the blue in smaller print then it just makes more hassle for both seller (taking a return) and buyer (waiting for a refund - if he didn’t buy as-is / cash at a convention)-

I don’t mind it but just means you have to look closer when buying- and be honest as a seller and disclose the details (in your sales ad / description)
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@radd76 It is always good advice to read the entire label but even then the CGC green label doesn’t provide enough information to make an informed decision.

In a market where a grade point can mean a difference of hundreds or thousands of dollars, the qualified grade fails the primary purpose of grading which is to provide a third party assessment of the books to remove uncertainty and disagreement of the condition and only succeeds in putting a higher grade on a book.

You suggest that a green label alerts you the book possibly missing parts or some other damage. Okay. How is that really better than the book being graded lower in accordance with the damage?

To take my previous example if the same 7.0 Green Label book got a 3.0 Blue label. Which one provides you the information to make a more informed purchase?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 @dielinfinite

Yes I think it’s more maybe that purple label is the better one to have in place bc trimming (can’t be undone) or color touching color breaks (if extensive) is the more egregious defects you want to avoid- (as a buyer)- unless the price properly is reflected for the condition-

As DWeeB1967 pointed out-

Obviously if it’s a big key I’m paying a lot for I’m looking over the label carefully- but maybe if I’m at a show and in the heat of wheeling and dealing say 5 lower key or cheaper slabs for 5 of mine in a trade I may not look over the slabs as good- compared to if I saw purple or green then as a buyer it’s easily seen and you can question it- maybe saving you some needless negotiating- and potentially paying nearly double too much (as most green or purple varieties go for half the Blue value many times)-

With green I don’t mind as much if the “cutout” for instance doesn’t affect the story- but if it does I often pass or expect more of a discount (just my personal preference)-

It would have been nice if green was only if it affected the story (missing)- but blue and deducted if only a coupon or stamp is removed (not affecting the story)- but ultimately it just comes down to the grading company’s choice / nuisances I suppose. This is just my thoughts though-

But yeah kinda is wishy washy to have green and blue exist possibly for the same collectible (deducted vs not deducted) unless there is a good reason?
Post 9 IP   flag post
600889 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?