Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Ebay Oddity17263

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So just a little oddity I found while browsing ebay today.

Looks like this seller is selling self-graded comics in itself not a big deal, many sellers give an opinion on the condition of the book, but these go the extra mile and are slabbed with horrific looking labels. To his credit, they're listing them as "Not CGC, not CBCS" but I find it hilarious that they never acknowledge that they are graded by "BCC" or mention who or what "BCC" is.

The only information I could find was a ComicsHeatingUp thread from 2019 with others asking what the hell it was and showing off some even worse looking labels

Worse even than the labels are some of the things they've slabbed. See this listing. I don't know if they did it themselves but then they give it a GD grade?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Uuuuh... What the He!! is that!? It looks like they have some homebrew covers hiding a thrashed FF #50. That's a first for me. It makes it worse that whoever this clown is, they've sold over 1,500 items. Was it all BS like this!?
Post 2 IP   flag post
No, they have raws and some CGC books, I just narrowed down the ebay search so they'd be easier to see. I'm not sure if the seller is the one "grading" them but he does seem to be the only one with these "BCC" books
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
Hey! I'm Mike Maldonado! That's my comic!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust_Memories

Oh god...please say no relation to Pastor (crashtor) Maldonado!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Nchatzi7 private msg quote post Address this user
It says BCC original art Case..if this even exist..the comic shouldnt be in an original art case for starters..Secondly it says that the cover is a "custom attached virgin cover" so probably a photocopy attached to who knows what..buyers watch out..
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I would say maybe a Comic Skin with a custom label, but those books look to have a inner holder like CGC/CBCS. IDK WTF.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
So just a little oddity I found while browsing ebay today.

Looks like this seller is selling self-graded comics in itself not a big deal, many sellers give an opinion on the condition of the book, but these go the extra mile and are slabbed with horrific looking labels. To his credit, they're listing them as "Not CGC, not CBCS"
Which is keyword spam and could get all those auctions pulled 😃
Post 8 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
They look like repurposed old style CBCS cases. The clips can be removed and reinstalled. The uncut inner well is best security check with those.
I’ve put custom books in old opened CBCS cases for fun, to display in my comic room.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash @Joosh That’s actually something I forgot to mention. In the Comics Heating Up thread they were clearly using Comic Skins but the new ones were something else.

They do look like the old CBCS cases, which COULD be disassembled without breaking but without having a closer look at the case I can’t be sure
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
What was it Neil Peart wrote? "Conform or be cast out?" LOL!

Granting there are no missing pages or resto, the grading isn't terrible, IMO. He isn't claiming it to be something it's not. Just rat books in recycled slabs.

The only real complaint anyone has had is overcharging for postage. Once.

Buy them or not. He isn't really doing anything wrong.

"Yah but what about undisclosed resto? What about the unsuspecting buyer? What if what if what if?"

So what? Before I buy a thing from EBay - especially comics - I read the entire listing. People complained about Kelly's superheroes - and from what I gather - rightfully so. I fell on that EBay page the 1st time and the books were a little TOO remarkable for raw and sho' 'nuff. At the bottom after all the gobble-de-gook, there was the resto disclaimer.

Pass. Even minor resto on the HOS 92, $6,000 was a lot of money. HOW minor?

This guy here is harmless. One way I learned to avoid getting humped by a seller is when I learned to read then ask questions. Questions like "Hello, seller! Can you tell me what BCC means? And can you provide - when/if you respond - whether or not (Random book) has resto and has a full page count?"

I go from there.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@ticktocktyler I think your indignation is a bit out of place. No one said he's doing anything wrong and you're the only one that's brought up undisclosed restoration as an issue.

I said in my first post that many sellers provide a condition for their books so that's not out of the ordinary but it is unusual to sell books in what appears to be custom slabs. Hell, I even titled the thread "Ebay Oddity" not something like "Buyer beware"

Attaching an aftermarket cover to a key silver age book would've raised an eyebrow whether they were in a slab or not
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
All I know is that Johnny STROM is going to college.

'nuff said.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I kinda like it. Would be tons better if he left off the little pic in the bottom corner.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
No chance of Shaken Comic Syndrom here
Post 15 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
The grades are only GD VG FN VF NM no place for any other variations or grades between those geades
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
HOW DARE HE ! WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS !

And Holy Shit.... Look at those Claws !

Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
BCC sounds like an acronym of a pron type
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@ticktocktyler I think your indignation is a bit out of place. No one said he's doing anything wrong and you're the only one that's brought up undisclosed restoration as an issue.

I said in my first post that many sellers provide a condition for their books so that's not out of the ordinary but it is unusual to sell books in what appears to be custom slabs. Hell, I even titled the thread "Ebay Oddity" not something like "Buyer beware"

Attaching an aftermarket cover to a key silver age book would've raised an eyebrow whether they were in a slab or not

I think you put it up to get indignant reactions. "Raise an eyebrow" reactions. Nothing wrong with that. I do it all the time. Of course. You certainly didn't add "I think this is enterprising! Original and ironic! Darling and kicky!" You used confrontational "looky what we have here" language:

"I FIND IT HILARIOUS (that they never acknowledge that they are graded by "BCC" or mention who or what "BCC" is.)

I insinuated I would ask what they meant by "BCC" before I dropped a penny on their wares. And if the books were at least complete and not dunked in printers ink. Beyond that and they passed the "TTT Litmus Test", why not buy one? That "Captain America" HULK cover book is borderline rat but the price is decent.

"The only information I could find was a ComicsHeatingUp thread from 2019 with others ASKING WHAT THE HELL IT WAS and showing off some EVEN WORSE LOOKING LABELS."

"WORSE EVEN THAN THE LABELS ARE SOME OF THE THINGS THEY'VE SLABBED."

Yeah, but no. I didn't find your post cynically insinuating in the least. LOL! But that's my jam.

Maybe you misread my intent, too. I don't feel indignant. The dude is on to something, IMO.

The cover was added, yes. And? People sell coverless Gold and Silver keys all the time with a reprint cover. Custom slabs. So? He is all out front with his thing.

One negg and that was someone bitching about shipping costs. Not one "This guy is a scam. I thought I was buying a good copy of Batman 171 and the innards were a late 1970's Richie Rich title. BOOOO!"

The only thing I really saw wrong was he misspelled "Johnny Storm Goes To College" on one of the FF's. Really? "Johnny Strom"?

FEEDBACK: "THIS SELLER LACKS PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR!!! 'JOHNNY STROM'???? WHATTA JOKE!!! STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!!

Shit, I should seal a bunch of top loaders (If I can FIND any) and do that myself. Add a proviso on my EBay page "Void the HELL out of the grade by cracking the slab! What do I care?"
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
All I know is that Johnny STROM is going to college.

'nuff said.

EFFIN' A he is! LOL!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
The grades are only GD VG FN VF NM no place for any other variations or grades between those grades

Henry David Thoreau said "Simplify Simplify." Why, I remember a certain OPG that used to have those very grades. Those were the days. Before things got so...FUZZY.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There are times when I read the forums that I find a migraine slowly encroaching.

I think I'm beginning to understand why.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

sigh.....no one even remembers (or knows) who Crashtor is do they??

Post 23 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
The grades are only GD VG FN VF NM no place for any other variations or grades between those grades

Henry David Thoreau said "Simplify Simplify." Why, I remember a certain OPG that used to have those very grades. Those were the days. Before things got so...FUZZY.
The Alpha grades are still valid, since they line right up with the Numerical:
https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading-scale/
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, but me and Robert Anton Wilson remember Banana Nose Moldanado!
Post 25 IP   flag post
@dfoster43
ahhhh... muppets! love it!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do if that means anything to you....I watch almost all F1 races. Even got to see Schumi race at the Nurburgring in his FXX, a California, and his F1 car about 15 years ago.

PDG
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
The cases look legit but the labels are cheesy. The cases look much better than the comic skin garbage, but I do like the labels on comic skins than this one. As comic grading evolve, we're going to continue to see these knockoffs slabs as possibly a cheaper alternative.
Post 28 IP   flag post
598077 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?