Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics ForeignComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Going through my Dad’s comics16974

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So I’m visiting my dad in Colombia for the week. One thing he asked me to do while I was here was to dig through some comics he’s bought in recent years to see if there was anything valuable and possibly worth grading.

I’ve gone through most of the books, about 270. Mostly 80s and early 90s Fantastic Four. good mix of newsstands and directs, mostly unremarkable, but there have been some diamonds in there!

I’ve always loved this cover, too bad about the scribbling on the cover. As far as foreign books are concerned I think this might’ve been the first appearance of Galactus in Spain

Some Silver Age FFs

There are a few more unremarkable silver age books like Sgt Fury #42, Rawhide Kid #66, and a few more FFs

My dad mentioned some early Black Panther but I haven’t seen those yet. Hopefully I’ll be able to go through those tomorrow and report back with some more!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Happy birthday
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Bronte lol thanks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Happy Birthday. Enjoy your visit.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
happy birthday and nice find

my grandma knows a guy who has old comics (never said how old but guy has been collecting for decades....actually he co founded ny comic con and was friends with Ditko). she said he was sending me a bunch (no word on when or what) I can hope get some near mint silver age
Post 5 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips @power_struggle55 Thank you!!

For anyone curious, here is the full list. Maybe you guys can find something worthwhile I didn’t spot
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
that fantastic four #13 is awesome. first appearance of red ghost...might be worth getting graded due to age and debut of decent villain

according gocollect f4 238 has gone for $110. first appearance of aunt peteuna frankie raye origin
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
that fantastic four #13 is awesome. first appearance of red ghost

Let's not forget The Watcher which is the real source of current demand for that book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Let's not forget The Watcher which is the real source of current demand for that book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

didnt realize he did but yeah. with the what if series. that comic must be valuable.

best to say I should go over all 2700+ comics I have and see what is worth what if graded (depending on grade). that #238 I also have (why I checked value)...I thought it was a random issue but $110 based on grade isnt too bad. shouldnt take me that long. have an app that I own. just look up certain stuff
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite - Happy Birthday, Jon! What part of Colombia are you in? I made a few trips to Bogota, can it be almost 30 years ago! Have a couple of empanadas and cervesas for me.
Post 10 IP   flag post
the spanish fantastic four....could be first appearance of him (in spanish). la venida de galactus translates to The coming of Galactus....however there is a spanish version of #48 on ebay with the american cover (just in spanish)
Post 11 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday @dielinfinite!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
the spanish fantastic four....could be first appearance of him (in spanish). la venida de galactus translates to The coming of Galactus....however there is a spanish version of #48 on ebay with the american cover (just in spanish)

Ahh yeah, you’re right. That Spanish edition is from 1966 so it predates this one by a dozen years or so. The book my dad has is no slouch either though and I suspect a part of it is the cool original cover.

@esaravo I’m staying in Pereira so up in the mountains. It’s fun but it’s hard to gauge how far (driving) everything is since there’s basically no straight roads anywhere due to all the hills. Not to mention the insane traffic
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I did some checking on the Spanish comic. The cover is an original painted by Rafael Lopez Espi. If you want to know the contents, here is a good site.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Happy Birthday!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite

Fantastic!
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
AWESOME!

Happy B-Day! Enjoy!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you all for the birthday greetings!

So there weren’t many more comics but here was this

Not in the best condition. My guess maybe 2.5/3.0

Thoughts?
Post 20 IP   flag post
It's a 10 because it's your birthday! LOL!
Post 21 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quick @dielinfinite get a screenshot!!! (LOL!)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Do I print that out and include it on my invoice to redeem my 10.0?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Do I print that out and include it on my invoice to redeem my 10.0?

If it makes it here by midnight! LOL!
Post 24 IP   flag post
my birthday is a week from sunday. I wish someone gave me a bin of goodies like that (though ebaymafia did give me some goodies from the 90s for christmas).

even with rough conditions....like that F4 #52.....people only dream of going through bins and finding what you found.

I am rewatching a comic book men and there was an episode where someone came in with a bin they stumbled upon (i think they said found someone throwing away) that basically was like yours. a lot of silver age especially important ones....not in best shape but still.

they were honest and told them....dont go to a comic shop where they (including them) will likely lowball. go to an auction house that specializes in this (it was that much money worth)
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector WndrWmn74 private msg quote post Address this user
Would be interested in that DC Special #28
Post 26 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55 @WndrWmn74 lol I wish he was giving them to me. My dad does like comics but these I fee he kinda just bought to dabble in comics investing. He’s not planning on selling at the moment but since some of these are so rough as it is I’m gonna try to get them slabbed so they are graded for easier liquidation years down the road.
Post 27 IP   flag post
you'd be doing him a favor to get them slabbed. while trying to explain grading/slabbing to none comic collectors. I say....it keeps it in that condition. if its super rough shape like that f4 #52....you need to reserve it to prevent it from getting worst. tell him to let you do it for him as a gift. if he's a collector he knows how important some of those issues. it should be a crime to keep them in a bin to get in badder condition
Post 28 IP   flag post
These are the comics I’m sending in for my dad. I added press screen for most of them just in case but I doubt many will pass

Post 29 IP   flag post
glad you are getting the #52 graded. it might be rough. probably a 2.0 or 2.5 but it needs to be preserved and graded
Post 30 IP   flag post
601460 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?