Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help Needed

Grading advise on a Bronze Age Grail16862

Collector Schumy2 private msg quote post Address this user
Reaching out for some help grading an X-men 101 that I recently picked up on eBay. I'm attaching the pics below. The book presents well and doesn't appear to have ever been pressed. The book is a Mark Jewelers variant which was a happy surprise since it wasn't advertised as such. The only 2 major issues are some noticeable color bleeding through to the front and back covers from the interior pages. I've been told that this is pretty common on books of this vintage but its the first time that I've seen it. The other (bigger) flaw is a less than half inch tear along the outer edge of the back cover and the last 4 interior pages.... The tear is clean and difficult to see with the book closed but its there. Any ideas what this might grade out to with a press? Thank you in advance for the collective wisdom.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
7.0/7.5 my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
7.5 to an 8.0
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
My gut instinct was maybe too harsh compared to others because of the tear, because I was thinking 6.0/6.5. Regardless, it's a great book, definitely worth getting slabbed imo.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
6.5/7.0
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
With that rip, 5.5 tops.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I nitially thought 7.5 but after seeing that rip tops it could get is a 6.0/6.5
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC (Pre-pandemic): 6.5 w/ Mark Jewelers note on label
CBCS: 6.5 w/ Mark Jewelers note on label
CGC (post-pandemic): Anywhere from 4.0 --> 8.0 and missed that it's a Mark Jewelers
Post 9 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
i would say a 6.5
Post 10 IP   flag post
601463 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?