Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Zeck's Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 page sells for $3.36 million16686

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Most of my stuff is under 10 million.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia 🤣 me too
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@GAC Most of my stuff is under 10 million.

Yeah, mine is more in the multiple of tens of dollars 😄
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
He also did a lot of great Captain America and Master of Kung Fu covers. Here is one of my favorites.
Post 29 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
@GAC It makes me wonder what the Incredible Hulk 181 cover, the cameo page of Wolverine in Incredible Hulk #180, Avenger 4 cover, or the Giant Size X-Men 1 cover would go for now.

The prices of this OA is approaching, perhaps surpassing, prices of classic fine art paintings. The question is, will it sustain, as the fine art has.

I may be missing something but if you follow fine art auctions, $3m is “entry level” … prices push tens of millions+.

Even NFTs as silly and new as they are have pushed near $100m.

I suppose it depends on how fine the art is but ofcourse you're right it can exceed 10's of millions+

When I read the word “classic” in combination with “fine art” I interpret it to mean broadly recognizable works.

If so, then $3M is at the low end. Very low end.

The bidding cadence in the auction, which I watched, suggests fair value at $450k. If this piece re-enters the market I expect a massive fall from $3m.

Consider this, the online bidders that pushed it to quarter million range all dropped off the bidding (the protection bids as the live auction unfolded barely nudged it above where it sat from internet bids).

It appeared to be two bidders from $450k+. For me, the likely drivers above are: 1) ego bidding with both parties having enough funds to play the game 2) fake bidding (one or more bidders never expected to pay up) 3) legit “universe of two” buyers for this piece. Not a good basis for setting future values. #3 is the best for market support of the price (though still very weak)…

Compare to other auction price action where final hammer tends to be at most 3-5x where internet bidding lands. Or very well supported valuations like the AC1 6.0 that was over $2M prior to live auction and only 1.5x hammer ratio vs that price…
Post 30 IP   flag post

I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
@power_struggle55 Mike is a very hard working guy. So, no his editors at Marvel didn't think that.

On a side note, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He got thrust into the limelight a long time ago with his work on Punisher. Throw in his work on Kraven's Last Hunt, and the covers for 10 Nights of the Beast and he's a giant.

i know. plus know the idea of a black suit spiderman was the idea of a young fan via a letter. he (or shooter since he wrote it) took the suggestion when they were creating the suit....yes they paid the kid for the idea since they used it
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Dave, I'm not sure why you feel the need to post what you think the page's FMV is and what happened in the auction. (You've done it in three posts so far.) Two separate bidders apparently went on a ride and had different a opinion than you. As a result, everyone that is a part of the comic OA hobby is left to wonder whether the sale was an exception or a new evolutionary leap in OA pricing. I'm hoping it's an outlier, but I doubt it'll stay that way. Because word of the sale has circulated widely, I believe the hobby will be inundated with people who have no knowledge of comic book OA putting their money into it simply because it is the fashionable thing to do and they have money to burn. When they depart, they'll chuck the apple cart out the window like the horde of locusts they are once they've sucked all the fun out of it to go to whichever better pasture suddenly becomes the place to be seen.

While they are in the hobby I hope the horde of locusts stays away from the artists I have collected and continue to collect. I doubt they will though.
Post 32 IP   flag post
600855 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?