Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

are newsstand comics rarer and worth more?16539

Collector Kosmo private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know the answer to this question?

And publication numbers on newsstand editions vs. regular editions?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
This should keep you busy.

clickable text
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
short answer is it depends - basically since the mid 70's they have been going in opposite directions.

Pre 1980's almost everything was newsstand but post 1980 direct took over to the point where post 1990's newsstand are almost unicorns

maybe for specific issues there are publication records but in general this is how things break down

as for rare/worth more...it depends as you can see - as late as the mid 80's it was a 50/50 split
Collectors are crazy - certainly a 1979/80 direct should be as rare as a 2000 newsstand, but they don't get the premium now do they!

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s a recent thread on the subject
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Here we go again
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
Here we go again

don't forget Canadian News Stand or British Pence comics!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
Here we go again

don't forget Canadian News Stand or British Pence comics!!!

Or the more common Australia newsstand Aus price variants

Post 7 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics hey don't forget about mark jewelers
Post 8 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Kosmo

They are worth far more. Distribution channel decisions are what collectors will care about long term, and of course having a bar code helps make cover art “pop” more.

I strongly believe all these slices of key comic issues - price variants, distrib channel etc - will and should drive big premiums in books because that type of rarity truly matters.

Same with the difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 or 9.8 graded book. Clearly a 9.6 of a book with thousands or tens of thousands of copies in circulation should be worth as much as the single most iconic comic ever published that has fewer than 100 copies known to still exist.

Clearly it all makes sense.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
You must have a lot of spare time over the holidays lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
@Kosmo

Same with the difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 or 9.8 graded book. Clearly a 9.6 of a book with thousands or tens of thousands of copies in circulation should be worth as much as the single most iconic comic ever published that has fewer than 100 copies known to still exist.

Clearly it all makes sense.

Thought of something similar to this last night when I saw this sale. Spiderverse 1:25

I get the print run on this comic and variant is very small (over 54,000 in sales). But there are nearly 4,500 9.8s of the regular cover (counting the black covers) between CBCS and CGC. Over 6300 graded in total. For this variant there are 760 graded and 433 at 9.8 or higher.

I just don't understand how this is a $9,000 comic.
Post 11 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 if I was told I had to “keep” the comic for 5+ years and couldn’t somehow sell it before 2027 I would not pay more than $500 for that 9.8 that is selling for $8-$9k currently.
Post 12 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

Short answer: it depends.
Generally the newer the book and the higher the grade, the more the newsstand edition exceeds its direct edition counterpart.

Marvel had newsstand distribution through 2013, DC through late 2017.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 you are correct to question the sanity of that price. Don't be the guy holding the $9000 Spider-Gwen when the music stops.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Keeping it simple... (with rare exception regular editions that are newsstand)

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Newsstands are rarer. Worth... it's what someone will pay. To me it really doesn't matter
Post 16 IP   flag post
600813 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?