Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Dark Horse Comics Preparing for Major Hollywood Sale16361

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
...According to Reports

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I love all the Dark Horse Properties so sign me up. I was actually thinking I don’t understand why BPRD had not had a show yet with the amount of material they have. Goon would make for a fun movie in the Sin City style of film.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool! Super-interested to see what happens with this.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Netflix seems to be a better fit for DHE. They already stream Umbrella Academy and are working on Dept. H. Would like to see BPRD as a TV Series too. Or DC Universe since Grendel has a crossover with Batman. Other examples of established crossovers are Batman vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Batman, JL and/vs. Hellboy, JL vs. Predator. Marvel has some crossovers as well, but I don't see Disney+ buying DHE. They have deep coffers, but what are they going to do? Merge with the Marvel imprint or create a separate Dark Horse imprint? Seems like too much reconning or creating another timeline. Hulu is a possibility too. Still part of Disney, but the branding would be better for DHE.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps we will finally see a "Concrete" series but also see a series based on "Harrow County" which I believe would translate quite well to the small screen.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
This confuses me. I thought Dark Horse published either licensed or crator owned books. What characters do they own?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
This confuses me. I thought Dark Horse published either licensed or crator owned books. What characters do they own?

Good question. And the short answer may be that, it’s complicated, but ownership might come down to IP type. The creators may “own” the licensing to print and online comics, but may have signed away the movie and TV rights, like what Mignola did with Hellboy, although he kept the board gaming rights as well.

This strategy may be an attempt by DHE to consolidate movie and TV rights under one house (both production and distribution). Some titles like Predator, Aliens, and Sin City had IPs owned by Fox and Miramax which have both been bought out by Disney. Others are under Netflix like Umbrella Academy and Polar. When I mean own, I think DHE owns most of the IPs, but gives those distribution companies the first look deal which sounds like right to first refusal. We will see how this turns out. I would like to see Martha Washington, Concrete, and others making it to the screen at some point. It would definitely help with Dark Horse’s branding.

Fox first look deal

Netflix first look deal

Mignola does not own film rights
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
If I was going to use Dark Horse characters these are the ones that I think could have wonderful movies made around them...

X
Kabuki and Scarab
Cal McDonald - One nasty anti-hero
Concrete
The Goon
Ghost
Buffy, Dawn, and Faith (yes, I typed those names).

Sure I'd like to see more Sin City movies but I doubt the title would be a part of this purchase. The same goes for Grendel.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Towmater Good choices, especially Criminal Macabre. Here is a sketch by Templesmith:

Buffy Comic Universe switched over to Boom, so I don’t know the impact on TV rights.
Post 9 IP   flag post
601362 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?