Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
For those of you that follow, George Perez sent a email to his fans and family today.
One of my favorites of all time and a legend - he's sadly in serious health trouble.

I've met him and talked to him many times over the 30+ years of doing conventions. A truly nice man.
He might try to do one last convention circuit with his fans to sign as many books as he physically can.
The guy is just one of the best.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 that's sad to hear - have had a few signatures and talked to him etc. over the years and was lucky enough to have one of those event dinners - just a great guy
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
hate to admit. dont know him but name sounds familar. looked up what he did but either way sad
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
Met him at East Coast Comic Con in 2018. Was signing books for free(Infinity Gauntlet), great guy. Sad news..
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Very sad news...an absolute sweetheart of a guy!! Very sad indeed.

Great artist as well!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I met him a few years ago. Funny guy and very personable. I hope he gets better soon.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
So sad to hear he's not in good health. A great artist and a sweet man.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
One of the greatest. Met him in Chicago in '09. Always had time to talk to his fans. Great personality, lot of fun! Feel better, Mr. Perez.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
That's awful to hear. Always wanted to meet him, the guy is a legend.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
He has stage 3 pancreatic cancer.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Ouch!

About as bad as it gets.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

That is terrible! Good thoughts going out to him and his family!
Post 12 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Oh no. George Perez is one of those guys that has more energy than you when you meet him. Great guy.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector scratchtasia private msg quote post Address this user
That's very sad. I haven't kept up, but he was my childhood favorite.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ChuckyG private msg quote post Address this user
Very sad. George is a great guy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Sad to hear. This was posted on the CGC forum:

To all my fans, friends and extended family,

It’s rather hard to believe that it’s been almost three years since I formally announced my retirement from producing comics due to my failing vision and other infirmities brought on primarily by my diabetes. At the time I was flattered and humbled by the number of tributes and testimonials given me by my fans and peers. The kind words spoken on those occasions were so heartwarming that I used to quip that “the only thing missing from those events was me lying in a box.”

It was amusing at the time, I thought.

Now, not so much. On November 29th I received confirmation that, after undergoing surgery for a blockage in my liver, I have Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. It is surgically inoperable and my estimated life expectancy is between 6 months to a year. I have been given the option of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, but after weighing all the variables and assessing just how much of my remaining days would be eaten up by doctor visits, treatments, hospital stays and dealing with the often stressful and frustrating bureaucracy of the medical system, I’ve opted to just let nature take its course and I will enjoy whatever time I have left as fully as possible with my beautiful wife of over 40 years, my family, friends and my fans.

Since I received my diagnosis and prognosis, those in my inner circle have given me so much love, support and help, both practical and emotional. They’ve given me peace.

There will be some business matters to take care of before I go. I am already arranging with my art agent to refund the money paid for sketches that I can no longer finish. And, since, despite only having one working eye, I can still sign my name, I hope to coordinate one last mass book signing to help make my passing a bit easier. I also hope that I will be able to make one last public appearance wherein I can be photographed with as many of my fans as possible, with the proviso that I get to hug each and every one of them. I just want to be able to say goodbye with smiles as well as tears.

I know that many of you will have questions to ask or comments to make, and rather than fueling the fires of speculation and well-meaning but potentially harmful miscommunication, I will be returning to the arena of social media by starting a new Facebook account where fans and friends can communicate with me or my designated rep directly for updates and clarification.

Please search for @TheGeorgePerez on Facebook if you’d like to join the page to receive updates. For media and press inquiries, please use the contact information on the page as well. Please respect the privacy of my wife and family at this time and use the Facebook page rather than reaching out through other channels.

I may not be able to respond as quickly as I would like since I will be endeavoring to get as much outside pleasure as I can in the time allotted me, but I will do my best. Kind words would also be greatly appreciated. More details to follow once it’s up and running.

Well, that’s it for now. This is not a message I enjoyed writing, especially during the Holiday Season, but, oddly enough, I’m feeling the Christmas spirit more now than I have in many years. Maybe it’s because it will likely be my last. Or maybe because I am enveloped in the loving arms of so many who love me as much as I love them. It’s quite uplifting to be told that you’ve led a good life, that you’ve brought joy to so many lives and that you’ll be leaving this world a better place because you were part of it. To paraphrase Lou Gehrig: “Some people may think I got a bad break, but today, I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.”

Take care of yourselves—and thank you.

George Pérez

December 7th, 2021
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Terrible news. I definitely would have stood in line to meet him and get his autograph (so many books, no idea what I would have him sign). I had heard his health wasn’t great and that he was cutting back on appearances a few years ago. I thought it was related to diabetes. So sad to hear this. Let’s hope and pray for a miracle.
Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo he is very charismatic person.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I'll admit I almost broke down reading his statement. Pretty much dedicating what time he has left to his fans just leaves me speechless.
I got to meet him several years ago and he is a really great guy.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
People like George Perez are what made the industry what it is. Irreplaceable.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

He is a class act and it was sad to read his letter. He did this Iron Man sketch for me a few years back. This one is staying in the PC for sure.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm getting a little tired of seeing my childhood creator heroes having their lives coming to an end too soon.

Makes you wonder if America had Universal Healthcare to treat serious ailments all along, would their lives have been extended?

Norm Breyfogle comes to mind when he died of heart complications stemming from a prior stroke (fans raised $89k to help with medical costs which fell short of his $200k medical cost requirements)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster Felt a tear or two well up in my eyes as well. He's a good man who truly appreciates his fans, his family, and the life he has. Very touching letter.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
So Sad. While the works of great creators like Perez will live on, it is nonetheless unfortunate that life itself is fleeting.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@MurrayC for this one I think it's more covid related than health care - they are expecting a massive wave of cancer etc. as people have not been able to go (or have decided not to go to a hospital) in and get normal screening due to services not offered etc. as everyone was dealing with covid. They expect that when screening resumes there will not only be more cases but also further along.

I read one article where a lady had loss of smelling - got the covid test and was negative and didn't think anything more of it..loss of smelling and taste are just some signs of a brain tumor - which it turns out this person had - and by the time it was diagnosed it was at a later stage than when it would normally be caught, lucky for this lady it was still operable - without knowing the specifics of Mr. Perez's situation I could easily imagine that a decrease in screening over that last 2 years could be a contributing factor.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
It's sad news, but he has lived a good life and contributed so much joy to fans like me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Sad to hear. This was posted on the CGC forum:

To all my fans, friends and extended family,

It’s rather hard to believe that it’s been almost three years since I formally announced my retirement from producing comics due to my failing vision and other infirmities brought on primarily by my diabetes. At the time I was flattered and humbled by the number of tributes and testimonials given me by my fans and peers. The kind words spoken on those occasions were so heartwarming that I used to quip that “the only thing missing from those events was me lying in a box.”

It was amusing at the time, I thought.

Now, not so much. On November 29th I received confirmation that, after undergoing surgery for a blockage in my liver, I have Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. It is surgically inoperable and my estimated life expectancy is between 6 months to a year. I have been given the option of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, but after weighing all the variables and assessing just how much of my remaining days would be eaten up by doctor visits, treatments, hospital stays and dealing with the often stressful and frustrating bureaucracy of the medical system, I’ve opted to just let nature take its course and I will enjoy whatever time I have left as fully as possible with my beautiful wife of over 40 years, my family, friends and my fans.

Since I received my diagnosis and prognosis, those in my inner circle have given me so much love, support and help, both practical and emotional. They’ve given me peace.

There will be some business matters to take care of before I go. I am already arranging with my art agent to refund the money paid for sketches that I can no longer finish. And, since, despite only having one working eye, I can still sign my name, I hope to coordinate one last mass book signing to help make my passing a bit easier. I also hope that I will be able to make one last public appearance wherein I can be photographed with as many of my fans as possible, with the proviso that I get to hug each and every one of them. I just want to be able to say goodbye with smiles as well as tears.

I know that many of you will have questions to ask or comments to make, and rather than fueling the fires of speculation and well-meaning but potentially harmful miscommunication, I will be returning to the arena of social media by starting a new Facebook account where fans and friends can communicate with me or my designated rep directly for updates and clarification.

Please search for @TheGeorgePerez on Facebook if you’d like to join the page to receive updates. For media and press inquiries, please use the contact information on the page as well. Please respect the privacy of my wife and family at this time and use the Facebook page rather than reaching out through other channels.

I may not be able to respond as quickly as I would like since I will be endeavoring to get as much outside pleasure as I can in the time allotted me, but I will do my best. Kind words would also be greatly appreciated. More details to follow once it’s up and running.

Well, that’s it for now. This is not a message I enjoyed writing, especially during the Holiday Season, but, oddly enough, I’m feeling the Christmas spirit more now than I have in many years. Maybe it’s because it will likely be my last. Or maybe because I am enveloped in the loving arms of so many who love me as much as I love them. It’s quite uplifting to be told that you’ve led a good life, that you’ve brought joy to so many lives and that you’ll be leaving this world a better place because you were part of it. To paraphrase Lou Gehrig: “Some people may think I got a bad break, but today, I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.”

Take care of yourselves—and thank you.

George Pérez

December 7th, 2021

Wow. A very moving post.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
It's sad news, but he has lived a good life and contributed so much joy to fans like me.

likewise - his run on Teen Titans was my intro to his work and inspired me to go back and get basically all TT appearances from 1964 to the mid 80's
Post 28 IP   flag post
His positive outlook will help him so much. A loving and courageous man who inspires the same in others. I would stand in line all day and give him all the hugs he wants.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@MurrayC for this one I think it's more covid related than health care - they are expecting a massive wave of cancer etc. as people have not been able to go (or have decided not to go to a hospital) in and get normal screening due to services not offered etc. as everyone was dealing with covid. They expect that when screening resumes there will not only be more cases but also further along.

Happened to a friend of mine. He had kidney cancer and made it through with treatment. His follow-ups were postponed repeatedly until this past summer. THey finally took a look at his lungs as he was having some respiratory issues that weren't viral.

Turned out his renal cancer had metastasized to his lungs (apparently this is common) and he was officially diagnosed with stage 4 renal cancer of the lungs. He's trying treatment, but the prognosis isn't good. Who knows if they could have caught it earlier, but the wait certainly didn't do him any favors.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600650 45 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?