Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Damn porch pirates got me this weekend.

Last summer, I sent off a book for CGC's Art Adams signing. Paid for the remarque too. Was excited to have my 9.8 coming back to me after half a year. Tracking showed it would be here today. I checked the tracking again this morning and saw that - for the first time I've ever seen - UPS was early. They delivered it on Saturday, when I happened to be out of town. They show they got signature confirmation too. But of course that hasn't been a thing since covid started.

I tried to open a case with UPS. Filled out their form, uploaded documentation, etc. Hit submit and got an error message that they couldn't process the request. Tried twice more, same error. Got someone on the phone, explained all that happened. She said she'd send me an email about how we'll proceed. Said email arrives, containing nothing but boilerplate text and a link to the same damn form that keeps giving me errors.

Guess CGC will have to initiate anything on their end, because I can't make it happen from mine. In the meantime, contacting every comic vendor in the area to let them know.

Porch pirates are worthless, deplorable creatures who deserve only sadness and misery. And a naked ride down a thousand-foot cheese grater.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Josh7945 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree! It’s terrible. I’ve had 3 packages stolen in the last 2 months from UPS deliveries (not CBCS deliveries). Despite requesting signature confirmation, a door man that accepts packages until 7pm daily, and numerous signs around the building to not leave packages outside. Fortunately, I have been refunded for these packages, but it’s like how much more can you do at this point?
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Man that sux. I hope something can be done...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Did you get a photo from CGC? Also be on the look out for the CGC serial # to check on if you see one go up for sale... I'm sorry for your loss, that blows!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Did you get a photo from CGC? Also be on the look out for the CGC serial # to check on if you see one go up for sale... I'm sorry for your loss, that blows!
Didn't get a photo, but naturally have the serial number. Already set up some ebay alerts. And of course I know most of the local retailers, who will keep an eye out.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers @Josh7945 I am so sorry! This is why I hate getting parcels via UPS or FedEx. I'd so much rather have USPS delivering to my secure P.O. box.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
i live in an apartment building that relies mostly on honesty when it comes to packages. the leasing office did use to keep packages but that wasnt good. you just had to say you had a package and theyd let you in package room to get it. you could lie or grab more then what you have. now they just have packages left by the mailbox. it is on other side of a gate but anyone in building can take. heck anyone can find a way in (wait till someone enters and come in, etc).

I dont risk it. i live near parents so have any package delievered to them. including my one cbcs submission
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
They need to enact stiffer penalties to deter these pirates.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have a half mile driveway. Fed—Ex often doesn’t bother to drive all the way down to the gate, but just leaves packages randomly on stumps, leaning on trees, on top of posts, etc. Haven’t lost one yet, near as we can tell, but sometimes they are pretty wet by the time we notice it.
UPS always delivers to the gate, and USPS, just leaves a slip, and I can go in and get the package.
Got a box of about 50 Savage Sword of Conan waiting for me there right now. Much preferred.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
only package issues Ive ever had were amazon drivers being lazy. i used to have in a neighborhood that consisted of over a dozen buildings with 8 apartments each (one complex). they had the bright idea of having 3 buildings with same number and even brighter to have two right next to each other (different streets but we were each on the corner)

amazon for some reason had a driver who didnt read the street signs so would deliever to my building's counter part on other side of complex. despite my road being the main. you enter on mine, you turn onto the other roads on mine...heck they drove by building to leave the complex.

they delievered it 4 times to wrong building.
Post 10 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers Man, that just sucks.

With the justice system now, even if they catch the person, nothing will be done.

Good luck with getting CGC to do something.
Post 11 IP   flag post
To anyone at CBCS who is listening, please Please PLEASE give customers the option to receive parcels via USPS so folks can use P.O. boxes or request that parcels be held at a local Post Office for pick-up. Let's screw porch pirates out of a happy holiday.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd

Fedex packages can be held at FedEx branches. They require ID to pickup
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Didn't get a photo, but naturally have the serial number. Already set up some ebay alerts. And of course I know most of the local retailers, who will keep an eye out.

When porch pirates took a package I hought from a member of the CGC forum I was able to track down the one graded book.

I did an ebay search and saw the book listed for sale by my LCS. The picture in the listing had the index number I got from the seller.

The owner of the store said he bought the slabbed books but did not buy the raw ones.

Still not sure if he was telling the truth but he did give me the graded book.

Check ebay and craigslist, your book might just be listed there.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Bronte They do, and it is a nice service, but where I am they haven't been consistent. One time I requested a parcel be held and they brought it to my address anyway, couldn't find the front door (GPS takes you to the back of the house, not the front - this is why I never want parcels delivered to my address), and then left the parcel by the side of the road at the back of the property. Tracking claimed that no one was there to receive it, so they dropped it off, but the reason I knew it was there was because I was watching them from my back deck the whole time. FedEx does NOT have the best reputation and my experiences with them have bourne that out.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Every time I hear someone losing something to a porch pirate, it makes my stomach churn. I absolutely can't stand a thief.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd

Yeah fedex is kinda messed up with me too. The guy NEVER rings the door bell. I asked him to but he has his earphones on and doesn't really answer me. I don't know if he speaks another language or if he just can't be bothered or what. I find myself waiting all day for him since some packages can't be redirected.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
That’s horrible. So sorry you have had this happen to you. The cheese grater would be a nice result on top of your receipt back of the comic.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Byrdibyrd

Yeah fedex is kinda messed up with me too. The guy NEVER rings the door bell. I asked him to but he has his earphones on and doesn't really answer me. I don't know if he speaks another language or if he just can't be bothered or what. I find myself waiting all day for him since some packages can't be redirected.

I have to wonder if these guys risk losing their jobs if they don't get every parcel in the truck delivered on time every single day. It would explain the way they leave parcels wherever, how they so rarely bother to ring the doorbell, and even the way they drive (not that UPS is much better in that regard, and don't get me going about those Amazon drivers...). Of course, even if that's the case, I still don't want them handling my stuff.

Quote:
Porch pirates are worthless, deplorable creatures who deserve only sadness and misery. And a naked ride down a thousand-foot cheese grater.

BAHAHAHAA-A-AAA
Post 19 IP   flag post
i once had a shipment of comics (I buy online most of the time even for new issues). obviously too big for a small apartment mailbox. theyd do is drive maybe a few hudred feet and drop of at my door.

nope, new delievery guy. thought that was too much work. so "attempted" to deliever package. which meant....look inside tiny box...see a box box of comics wouldnt fit. fill slip out that says he tried to deliever
Post 20 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
First off, that sucks!

Second, as I am reading this thread a UPS delivery alert popped-up on my phone.

Third, cameras. Cameras, cameras.

Real ones, fake ones, good ones, bad ones. We have a double layer of cameras (hard wired “old school” and a bunch of wifi Ring ones). They are useful not just for security but for convenience. Not sure if trash picked up? Check the wifi cam. Amazon guy dropping package at wrong entrance area, tell him through the camera.

They are at least a “50%” deterrent. Half of would be thieves will be deterred.

We like the ring cams because they can be put anywhere you get a decent wifi. Have two extra batteries so easy charging rotation.
Post 21 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Terrible @CatCovers! I know it's not helpful for your current situation but for future reference:

FedEx, UPS, and USPS all offer package reroute (hold for pick-up) options through their website(s).

Personally, I have never had a USPS package that requires a signature left as signed for. They all go back to the local P.O. for pick-up.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
If you paid by credit card, you can file a chargeback as item not received. The credit card company will have a short window to look into it before they issue you a credit back. They are so backlogged with chargebacks they usually don't investigate in time and you'll receive your money back. Worth a shot.
Post 23 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

All men and women of culture would agree.

I hope that your book finds you.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
This is unfortunate…I hope there’s a positive outcome. 🙂👍

I worked as a seasonal driver for UPS last year for some extra cash. I seemed to be the ONLY driver who followed the rules concerning delivery. I always rang the doorbell or knocked before I left the package, and left the package as out of sight as I could make it. If it needed a signature (and drivers had to do this because of the virus), I would NOT leave the package there if someone wasn’t home. I would attempt delivery again later in the day.

I don’t know what is going on with delivery companies these days, but I believe that the potential turn-over rate for drivers has gone to the bottom of the barrel…no one has any common courtesy, nor gives a damn about others.

I’m done. 🤣🤣🤣
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry. This happens more often than most think. What I dont understand in this day and age why don't the shipping companies or 3rd party graders us rfid. The technology is cheap and shouldn't be hard to incorporate into the slab let alone a package.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Man, I’m sorry to hear. I hope UPS or CGC come through on this.

Keep us posted.
Post 27 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Sorry. This happens more often than most think. What I dont understand in this day and age why don't the shipping companies or 3rd party graders us rfid. The technology is cheap and shouldn't be hard to incorporate into the slab let alone a package.

Some ammunition shippers use this. FedEx was able to track a missing package because of it. And that was only a $50 order!
Post 28 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
That sucks.

I'll just pile on what others here have already said: if possible, use the available FedEx / UPS reroute options.

For FedEx, I always have them delivered to the local Walgreens. For UPS, I have them delivered to the neighborhood UPS store.

So far, by doing that, I've been fortunate and have always received packages that I was expecting.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
That suck, man, sorry that happened to you. Hope there's a positive resolution!

What @DWeeB1967 said. I tend to use only only UPS if I have a choice. With the Smart tracking thingie you can just have them "deliver" it to your local UPS store if you want, then pick it up there at your leisure. Never had an issue, even if I decided to do it last minute.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598019 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?