Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Have any of you seen Dune yet?

I'll preface this by saying that Dune is one of my all time favorite sci-fi series. While I do appreciate the Lynch effort, I always felt it failed in many ways. The first book is just too much story to successfully cram into a single film.

We just got back from Dune (Part 1), and I was absolutely blown away. It's visually stunning and the pacing is perfect. I hate info dumps in movies, but this story is hard to tell without one. In this version of the story they chose to break the info up into smaller pieces throughout. I think they executed it very well.

I'm also a advocate of character development. Without it a story is hard to connect with. This movie delivers.

If you're a fan of the books, i highly recommend this film. It is the Dune I've always dreamed of. I am absolutely in love with this adaptation. ❤
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
No.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Do they run around in the blue underwear Sting sported in 1980's movie?

Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts I liked the original and am looking forward to this one. I've heard it's great and I'm happy to read what you posted. Looking forward to it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I've never read the book(s) and the old 80's Sting movie has never kept my interest long enough for me to get through it. This one I really liked.

I watched it on HBO Max. I thought it was easy to follow and beautiful to look at. I actually liked it so much that I'm considering seeing it again on the big screen. I'm really looking looking forward to part 2.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I loved the new Dune movie and had some very good actor's but didn't show as much details as the other version did but I am sure part 2 will hopefully get more into it.I guess I give it a B.The ships were very interesting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Just gonna say not reading anything on this thread until after watching tonight with my son.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
The 3 greatest books ever written:

1. The Holy Bible
2. Dune (series)
3. The Lord of The Rings Series
Post 8 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Seen both versions of the Lynch and the SCIFI channel version. So it will be interesting to see what the new edition is like. From the trailer, wasn't too happy with the stilsuits but Liet being female does not bother me so.

I'll be waiting til it drops in price for the streaming. Why pay $30 for something I can own in 6 months.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgd120

1. The Holy Bible
2. Dune (series)

No argument here. 👍
Post 10 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I've never read the book(s) and the old 80's Sting movie has never kept my interest long enough for me to get through it.

Same here, never could get through it. It's been years since I tried to watch this, just remember it was boring and made no sense!
Post 11 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Same here, never could get through it. It's been years since I tried to watch this, just remember it was boring and made no sense!

I really found this one easy to follow. I understood the major factions and their motivations and I understood the source of the conflict between them. I'm looking forward to the next part to see how things work out.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgd120

1. The Holy Bible
2. Dune (series)

this is absolutely the same order as mine, with honorable mention going to, Foundation (series) by Isaac Asimov.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
Seen both versions of the Lynch and the SCIFI channel version. So it will be interesting to see what the new edition is like.

I also watched both versions of the previous movies and I have read the books. I watched it this weekend on HBOMax and I throughly enjoyed it. I didn't know that they were going to release it in parts. I think that is a great idea because you really can't get a feel for the characters cramming the massive story into one movie.

I wondered how they could compare it to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars but after seeing the first movie it makes sense. They're creating multiple movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Looking forward to the sequels.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Watched it and loved it. This does indeed deliver. Everything thar i hate about most other remakes is not here. Not rushed. Storyline and characters are being properly developed. Not about a rewrite of the original novels. Can’t wait for part two.
Post 15 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Enjoyed it!

It stays relatively true to the book, which I last re-read only a few years ago.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
Seen both versions of the Lynch and the SCIFI channel version. So it will be interesting to see what the new edition is like.

I also watched both versions of the previous movies and I have read the books. I watched it this weekend on HBOMax and I throughly enjoyed it. I didn't know that they were going to release it in parts. I think that is a great idea because you really can't get a feel for the characters cramming the massive story into one movie.

I wondered how they could compare it to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars but after seeing the first movie it makes sense. They're creating multiple movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Looking forward to the sequels.

When this version was announced, they said they were going to split Dune into two parts, which is the reason Feyd is not listed in the credits. I agree with you that the novel is way too long to be one movie. Doing so leads to the travesty the Lynch version is.

I'm hoping to see them do Dune Messiah, so we can see the vision of Frank's destruction of the Hero and structured religion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I've never read the book(s) and the old 80's Sting movie has never kept my interest long enough for me to get through it. This one I really liked.

I watched it on HBO Max. I thought it was easy to follow and beautiful to look at. I actually liked it so much that I'm considering seeing it again on the big screen. I'm really looking looking forward to part 2.

It's not a "Sting" movie, he's in it for about 6 minutes.
The 4.5 hour DC is well worth watching. Combo of movie and production stills / art that fill in a lot of cutting-room floor stuff. Lynch was frustrated by the suits and the theatric edition was unsatisfying to a lot of people including him.

The documentary on it is also well worth watching.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
@BPaxson002 it's free to watch on HBO max if you have that.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
HBO is not free
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector kidhuman private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was a solid flick. It started off really slow but got good. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Enjoyed it. Still like the books better.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
HBO is not free

No, but , like butterflies, torrents are.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Enjoyed it. Still like the books better.

As always the books are sooo much better. It's a shame he didn't get a chance to finish the story before he died. His son helped but it wasn't the same.

Another book he wrote that I enjoyed was "The White Plague". I'm surprised that has never been made into a movie. Great story!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. I never read the books. Saw the Lynch movie, but it feels like 100 years ago and didn't remember it too well.

I must say that I laughed out loud when the Baron and Reverent Mother went into the Cone of Silence.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Read White Plague great story..
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
@BPaxson002 it's free to watch on HBO max if you have that.

That would require me to subscribe to Max and I am on Prime already. I can wait to buy it in 6 months
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it and didn't like it. The original was soooo much better.
Post 28 IP   flag post
If you’ve never read the original Dune book it almost didn’t get published. They were afraid he was trying to start a cult. I love the new movie. The books are light-years ahead.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm about an hour in, it's great visual Sci-Fi. We've always been able to read great sci-fi but seeing great visual sci-fi really came about in the last 20 years or so. So far every scene looks visually poignant enough to be part of a preview trailer.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601455 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?