Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Interesting Exchange on Facebook Concerning the cgc Marketplace15766

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@theCapraAegagrus They might want to pick different "volunteer" mods. You wrote about users and disagreements that happened years ago. Couldn't new mods use their newly found powers to run people off due to slights that might or might not have happened long ago?

People need to remember that their business is going gangbusters. Do they really care if old forum members leave? It doesn't seem to be effecting their current bottom line.
Post 26 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Couldn't new mods use their newly found powers to run people off due to slights that might or might not have happened long ago?

People need to remember that their business is going gangbusters. Do they really care if old forum members leave? It doesn't seem to be effecting their current bottom line.

It's possible.

Older members are a treasure trove of information. I would argue that the CGC forums are the single richest location of comic book information. As mentioned by Pre_Coder, there's a lot of money exchanged there, too. Most of it, I imagine, flowing through those older members who are big spenders directly with CGC. I suspect that his call to CGC involved, "silencing me from your forums will prevent me from sending comics to you".

I personally experienced the result of moderation bias. By allowing politically-charged topics to remain open, they used their bias to silence particular voices. It was frustrating for a lot of people. It's quite unclear what is and is not allowed to be said, unlike here.

I don't want to submit a dreaded Wall of Text, but I think it's worth praising: Moderation here appears to use a method of thread timeouts rather than user timeouts. If a thread gets heated, it seems to get locked, and I think that no suspensions are awarded unless the violations were fairly serious or leaked over to other threads. Is it perfect? No, because the topic suffers from being locked, but it gives parties an opportunity to cool down rather than heat-up due to being silenced. It also gives them chances to continue engaging in the community in topics that they hopefully won't get worked-up in.

Everyone has bad days. I think that on those off days, we would all like the chance to be locked out from a heated subject and take a breather, rather than get suspended for the mysterious "too contentious" warning.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
It's a forum. I remember in school, my teacher putting my desk out in the hall, because I was a disruption. I liken a forum ban/suspension to that. Couldn't care less. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you think it'd bother me if I were banned? It's the internet, c'mon.

Sales threads are another story>
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
That thread made perfect sense actually. I used to be a quasi-moderator there as well for the VCC section.
Post 29 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post

A more appropriate analogy would be getting suspended by the principle for fighting, while the other kid who instigated it receives no penalty, and you were never told prior that fighting was against the rules.

If you couldn't care less about that, then moderation needs not consider your opinion. You'll roll with the punches no matter how unclear and unfair the system is.

CGC's system is corrupt. I felt that it worked about 18 months ago, but it was openly-admitted that multiple reports basically require them to take action, meaning that button-humping is determining punishment rather than the content of posts.

There's a 75-page long spam thread that has not been locked. It should be closed without having to recruit 5 friends to report it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
We sure talk about CGC a lot on these boards...

Freedom of speech is an amazing thing... imagine if it existed on their forums too! 😁

Nice try but this has nothing to do with free speech or imaginary culture wars.

It’s more like talking about your neighbors all the time.

I guess I’m odd in that rather than bitching about happenings over there, I’d rather concentrate on here.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus

Eh, the moderation here is inconsistent, as well.

The only difference is the people getting the benefit of the doubt here like it.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
@theCapraAegagrus

The only difference is the people getting the benefit of the doubt here like it.

You could be right. I just like to air my grievances. Early Festivus.

IMO, CBCS mods > CGC mods. Just take the win.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus

Feats of strength!!
Post 35 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Quote:
We sure talk about CGC a lot on these boards...

Freedom of speech is an amazing thing... imagine if it existed on their forums too! 😁

Nice try but this has nothing to do with free speech or imaginary culture wars.

It’s more like talking about your neighbors all the time.

I guess I’m odd in that rather than bitching about happenings over there, I’d rather concentrate on here.

It was a statement to the overall state of the forums. They approve topics, get replies from staff and then delete topics with no explanation, things like that. Very silencing to opinions they dont like or want to hear.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
A more appropriate analogy would be getting suspended by the principle for fighting, while the other kid who instigated it receives no penalty, and you were never told prior that fighting was against the rules.

If you couldn't care less about that, then moderation needs not consider your opinion. You'll roll with the punches no matter how unclear and unfair the system is.

CGC's system is corrupt. I felt that it worked about 18 months ago, but it was openly-admitted that multiple reports basically require them to take action, meaning that button-humping is determining punishment rather than the content of posts.

There's a 75-page long spam thread that has not been locked. It should be closed without having to recruit 5 friends to report it.

this sounds like the inmates are running the asylum.
Post 37 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics I appreciate a real quote (accurately attributed) on the internet.

I’d hazard a guess that 90%+ of the quotes posted online are misattributed. Oh and 90% of stats cited online are inaccurate too.

I guess the moral is to “take it all like I take my margarita, with a grain of salt.”
- Jimmy Buffett
Post 38 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
My 2 favorite quotes...

"I like my women like I like my coffee ... ground up and in the freezer."

"I may have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's."
Post 39 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@theCapraAegagrus

Good, bad, inconsistent, consistent would all be mostly opinions and hard to prove or disprove. So I thought long about not commenting. But that is just not me....

I'll have to disagree. The moderation here is clearly better than at CGC. Heck, you can even safely discuss CGC here. But you cannot safely discuss CBCS at the other place.
Post 40 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@theCapraAegagrus

The moderators here put up with a lot. For the most part, they are real people who don't hide behind faceless monikers like cgcmod2, cgcmod3, cgcmod5, and so on and so forth. I know that Jesse has had to weather personal insults simply because he is the face of CBCS moderation.

Everyone here typically gets the benefit of the doubt. The ones that show up just to criticize, contribute nothing, and only have negative things to say about CBCS or their employees don't last long and rightly so.

This is a chat board hosted by a private company. No one has a constitutional or democratic right to post here. If your only objective is to consistently throw CBCS and/or its employees under the bus, then find the exit door on your own or you'll be shown there by moderation. Moderation and the other members shouldn't have to suffer fools just to uphold some skewed idea of fairness.

Almost every individual that has been banned from the forum was given multiple chances to play by the rules and chose not to do so.

[/end rant]
Post 41 IP   flag post
598047 41 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?