Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Stan Lee signature - real?15765

Collector earthprime private msg quote post Address this user
I've been looking for a copy of X-men #3 to fill my collection, and one popped-up with a Stan Lee signature. Can't tell if it appears genuine. I submitted to Becket's verification service (the $10 one where you send a picture) but they couldn't verify. Curious what the community thinks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234110409878
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Hard to believe that someone would try to forge on a #3. Hmmm
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector earthprime private msg quote post Address this user
Seller didn't have much info to share, just that it was signed pre-2015 with previous owner witnessing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'd pass. lower CBCS blue label on a book that can't be authenticated isn't worth the risk.

I'd gamble with a non signed book before an unverified book
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
“Pre-2015” is awfully open-ended

Here is one from 2014 for reference

Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
unless you're specifically looking for a signed #3, I'd pass. it's too expensive a book to gamble on an unverified signature. I'd look for a raw unsigned or verified slabbed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Bakersman private msg quote post Address this user
I'm no expert but have been buying verified stans for the past year or so. At first glance the "Stan" looks great! The "Lee" is the one that is not so consistent. Typically the e's are bunched up or much more of an angle as seen in the the Milestone above. Although all of the sigs I have are 2014 and up. I could imagine in late 70s through the 90s his sig would be more legible as in the 2 e's at the end there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79
Hard to believe that someone would try to forge on a #3. Hmmm

@Batman79 It's really not about it being a forgery. It's very likely to be a real signature. But if it can't be verified then it might as well be a forgery because it will hurt the books value rather than help it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthprime
I've been looking for a copy of X-men #3 to fill my collection, and one popped-up with a Stan Lee signature. Can't tell if it appears genuine. I submitted to Becket's verification service (the $10 one where you send a picture) but they couldn't verify. Curious what the community thinks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234110409878

IDK what the community thinks. What I think is that there is a reason we pay BAS $10 for their opinion on if a signature is likely to pass or not pass full authentication. We pay them because their opinion is an expert opinion. Where I and probably most people here on the boards are just guessing.

So you have the answer that matters. The signature is unlikely to be determined as authentic. Weigh that information when making your decision on buying the book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Stan lee signatures are always so problematic...and tough to authenticate. I have only two, and both were supposedly witnessed slabbed books and I am content with that. The rest scares me ...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Who would forge a lee sig? They guy would sign anything, including used toilet paper and say it was his own poop on it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
Who would forge a lee sig? They guy would sign anything, including used toilet paper and say it was his own poop on it.

People wanting to make some free $$ mostly. Stan's signature adds value in many situations. But MOST of the forged signatures are on inexpensive books. Take a dollar bin copy of Marvel Tales or Marvel Collector Item Classics, forge Stan's signature on the cover and now you have a $30-$50 book when sold on eBay.

This value issue is I would guess why the OP want's to poll the audience here. It would be a lot less common for someone to forge Stan's signature on an expensive book. Odds are high that the you might make the book harder to sell and worth less $$
Post 12 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I have have 2 signed (witnessed by me) Lee sigs and,just my opinion, it looks authentic. If I had the cash, I'd buy it. but I would make a 550 offer on it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
A book without a Stan Lee Signature would be much rarer
Post 14 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
A book without a Stan Lee Signature would be much rarer

Exactly
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion autopen. Give or take 1995
I have 10 + of his signatures. Don't have one at that angle or signed that slow. By 2 bits
Post 16 IP   flag post
601321 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?