Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Marvel = Go Woke Go Broke15572

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Read all about it:
https://cosmicbook.news/marvel-woke-disaster-eternals-delayed-shang-chi
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
It's sad that so many listen to all the WOKE crap.
Post 2 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like they just woke up a bunch of crappy movies 💩💩
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not going to dive into the whole "woke" thing, though I think it's premature to argue Shang-Chi is "woke." I think the comments about Shang-Chi "bombing" has a lot more to do with the ongoing pandemic and the fact that movie theater turn out is still amazingly low. Kind of explains why Venom 2 was just delayed until January, but I didn't see any articles about Venom 2 being moved because it's "woke." But maybe it's because Venom 2 stars a white male.

Oh, one more thing.

IBTL.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania

I don''t disagree with the article, but this is it in a nut shell. If you put a bunch of D, E, and F tier characters on the big screen with altered source material, weak plots, and lackluster scenarios, then that's what you get, box office bombs. If it didn't sell for 35 cents, it's probably not going to sell for $15 a pop.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
yes..IBTL

now....Shang Chi doesn't seem 'woke' but may not do so well because people are staying away from theaters (I've opted for the drive in!) I for one really like the lead actor from his TV work and am looking forward to giving it a try.

Eternals - gender and race swap...reallly...can anyone name an Eternal?? - who cares (not the general public!!)

Scarlett suing Disney -well yeah...promised a cut of box office and then released as streaming thereby reducing the box office - I would say at the least they owe her what 3 or 4 times? the number of households that streamed - nothing about woke -just business...no idea about the movie - didn't see it as it was a few years too late - wasn't available in theaters here and I wasn't going to pay to watch at home.

Black Panther - they kind of got painted into a corner - can't blame them for the gender swap...although they could have had a new actor - Rhodey?? I know he wasn't a major character but it has been done.

etc. etc.

might take a few BOMs but eventually they will learn that you still need the heroes journey even for non-male characters
Post 6 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
It is sad that the entertainment industry feels the need to educate us as opposed to focusing on...you know, entertaining us.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
If the pandemic were not going on, my family and I would be at the theatre, plopping down our cash and seeing this movie.

The studios want to try am "persuade" people to go to the theatre by not streaming. That is fine, I have not problem waiting till it comes out on streaming because of the pandemic.

All this "woke" whining stuff is just BS. The only group of people that are whining about it are the white male demo. Get over it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Oh man... or woman.......
Post 9 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Hollywood, Disney, Marvel, and DC. They are their own worst enemy. I won't go down the political road but I think we all know why this is happening. Of course, it's all blowing up in their faces. Actors getting fired for posting personal beliefs on social media. Now Disney is getting sued by Scarlett Johansson. These arrogant companies just expect people to bend the knee and go along with their agenda and new beliefs. I've been saying it for a while now. It's really nice to see some news agencies starting to report on it. What's sad is that they just don't understand why they're failing.

A portion of the article...

Feige's woke MCU approach is a bust

Feige's woke approach doesn't look to be getting any better as upcoming releases include a slate of woke content, which is where characters are changed for the sake of political correctness and/or the liberal agenda is promoted at the expense of quality story:

Shang-Chi - Simu Liu recently said the film "will change the world" and will finally give the audience an "aspirational" Asian character (though that doesn't necessarily mean the movie will be woke).

Eternals - gender-bent, race-swapped characters; regarding the story, the trailer revealed that although the entire universe was threatened by Thanos, they decided to stay out of it (makes sense, right?).

Hawkeye - Jeremy Renner replaced by Hailee Steinfeld's Kate Bishop.

Ms. Marvel - politically oppressed Muslim character (that replaced Carol Danvers in the comics).

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - with Marvel Comics killing Doctor Strange, a new woke MCU Doctor Strange is speculated; it's also known Feige wouldn't allow Benedict Cumberbatch in WandaVision because he's a male character (ditto for Robert Downey Jr. and The Avengers in Black Widow).

Thor: Love and Thunder - Natalie Portman becomes the Female Thor; Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie is looking for her "queen" of New Asgard.

Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever - rumors offer Shuri will become the Black Panther and that Ironheart will be introduced in the movie who replaces Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in MCU. In the comics, Ironheart is a teenage girl who steals Iron Man tech and is allowed to keep the Iron Man suit, though she is a child and has no superpowers (see how the story gets sacrificed for wokeness?).

Captain Marvel 2: The Marvels - just watch the first movie, and The Marvels will feature Brie Larson ('nuff said?), Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau and Iman Vellani as Ms. Marvel; the director recently said the movie is about "pain and trauma."

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - unknown how woke James Gunn will go, but he may feature a woke version of Quasar, and the comics have gone completely woke; interestingly enough, Gunn is leaving Marvel to go back to DC, so maybe Guardians 3 won't be all that woke and is the reason why Gunn is heading back to DC.

Blade - unknown, though look for something about Blade's daughter.

Deadpool 3 - Ryan Reynolds sold out his writers for two female newbs (as demanded by Feige and Marvel).

Fantastic Four - rumors offer Feige is going with a diverse version of the characters.

Captain America 4 - Chris Evans replaced by Anthony Mackie's Falcon, a character with no super powers.

Moon Knight - TBD.

She-Hulk - unknown, but likely woke as it will feature the goofy version of Mark Ruffalo's Hulk (men are bad, etc).

Armor Wars - the original comic featured Tony Stark as Iron Man getting his tech back from various villains in what is one of the best Iron Man stories, IMO; obviously, James Rhodes replaces Tony, and it is said Ironheart will be in the series, again who replaces Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark.

Ironheart - woke like the comics (see above).

Secret Invasion - unknown.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
My heart cannot take another bad FF movie.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

I don''t disagree with the article, but this is it in a nut shell. If you put a bunch of D, E, and F tier characters on the big screen with altered source material, weak plots, and lackluster scenarios, then that's what you get, box office bombs. If it didn't sell for 35 cents, it's probably not going to sell for $15 a pop.

yup - bad writing

Look at Edge of Tomorrow - great strong (and sexy) female character - decent story and writing - no complaints, any of the Alien films, Hancock etc. etc.

just have a decent story - follow the hero's journey frame work rather than a character showing up with powers on level 11 right out of the gate and you'll be fine - it's formulaic but it's worked for at least a few hundred years!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
My heart cannot take another bad FF movie.

FF is fun...kind of like - what new and awesome way will they find to FF it up!!

Like the Maple Laughs - you never know how but somehow someway they'll find a way to lose!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
SUPERMAN CONFIRMED AS GAY

clickable text

"It's confirmed that DC Comics will have a gay Superman, which follows Ethan Van Sciver breaking the news last week.

In an article from Bleeding Cool, which is basically a PR piece for DC where they are apparently mad the Superman gay news leaked, the information that Van Sciver revealed is confirmed:

DC Comics is currently intending him to be portrayed as a queer young man

The details include it is the Jonathan Kent version of Superman who will be gay, and just like Ethan Van Sciver said, the Clark Kent version will be gone, which again is confirmed by Bleeding Cool who obviously was told the info by DC Comics:

First, Jonathan Kent is indeed becoming the Superman of the DC Comics Universe while his dad is away.

The article also points out that similar to how Robin has been changed by DC Comics to gay after 30 years, that this version of Superman is also being changed to gay:

Before DC Comics' 2020 5G plans were abandoned, Jonathan Kent was intended to have a relationship with Jenny Sparks/Quantum of the Authority. But now? Jonathan Kent is a human/Kryptonian hybrid, and DC Comics is currently intending him to be portrayed as a queer young man, though the exact labels are up in the air. Or up in the sky. Gay, bi, pan, it may be a while till this comes to fruition on the page.

Ethan Van Sciver right about gay Superman

Ethan Van Sciver expanded on his popular ComicArtistsPro Secrets YouTube channel.

"See they wanted to wait a little bit," Van Sciver explained about DC Comics in reference to the news that Robin is also gay. "'Let's not look like crazy people by making all of our big superhero characters, all of our cartoon characters, all of our Super Friends, let's not make them gay all at once. Let's wait a little while. Let's give it three or four months.' No, not if I can help it. We are letting you know as soon as we find out, and I have sources everywhere. I got sources. I got people telling me things that I don't even want to know. You know what? I will let you guys know. I will absolutely let you guys know."

As Ethan Van Sciver continued his YouTube live video, his DC Comics source actually contacted him.

"That bing was somebody going, 'You're welcome for that scoop, pal.' My source inside DC Comics just said, 'You're welcome. You're welcome,'" said Van Sciver. who continued with mention that he was happy to break the news. "Those people who are actually happy that this character, Jonathan Kent, is gay, I'm happy to break the news to you. I'm happy to break the news to those people who are actually happy about this... They are very upset that it came from me and everybody knows that I got DC Comics cred. Of course, I do. I did some of the most important comics at DC."

DC Comics is also introducing a new "best friend" to Jonathan Kent, a purple-haired character, Jay Nakamura, who is apparently inspiring the new Superman to act in a more political fashion. Check out the November cover below to Superman: Son Of Kal-El.

Superman: Son of Kal-El #5:

Faster than fate. As powerful as hope. Able to lift us all. For all his great power, Jon Kent can’t save everyone, but that won’t stop him from trying. How much can Earth’s new Superman do before this Man of Steel buckles? And when he does, who swoops in to save Superman?
Post 14 IP   flag post
No one cares that Jonathan Kent is gay. No one cares that Iceman is gay. No one cares that the Golden Age Green Lantern is gay. No one cares that Karma is a lesbian. Being same sex oriented didn't add anything to their story lines or make the characters more interesting and depending on such an announcement to sell books is purely sensationalism and lazy writing.

Most people don't read comic books because of a characters sex life. That was never the plot or arc of a story. When it is the focus, just like any of the "Death of the Week" story lines, people lose interest. No one cares who's sleeping with whom.

Comic books are supposed to be a form of escapism. When they become a reflection of the real world, what's the point?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Dawnstar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
The only group of people that are whining about it are the white male demo.

This is just not true. There are plenty of non-white males "whining" about it. Women too.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This.

Less woke and just characters coming to the screen that were never that popular in comics to begin with. I mean, seriously, ten years ago did anyone in fandom think, "Man, I really want to see an Eternals movie."
Post 17 IP   flag post
@MatterEaterLad Ten years ago no one in fandom even wanted to own an Eternals comic book.
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
Kind of explains why Venom 2 was just delayed until January, but I didn't see any articles about Venom 2 being moved because it's "woke."

@lawguy1977 Second paragraph:
The info comes from Vulture's report about how Sony is going to further delay the release of Venom 2,
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Comic books are supposed to be a form of escapism. When they become a reflection of the real world, what's the point?

If comic books represented the real world the characters wouldn't be nearly as good looking.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Slesko private msg quote post Address this user
Not looking to get into an argument with anyone but just wanted to share for other people who may not feel supported or good reading some of the above comments. There is nothing wrong with movies, comics, or any media representing people of different races, ethnicities, genders, sexualities. There are so many types of people in this world and everyone deserves to see someone like them represented. Diversity is here to stay and will continue to grow. Put yourself in the shoes of a kid who is Asian, wouldn’t it mean the world to see that there’s a superhero that looks like you? If being woke means having that representation for all kinds of people that represent the world we live in then count me in as being woke and proud of it!
Post 22 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Oh man... or woman.......

2 down. 857 to go.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The fact that a few woke individuals that for some reason have push enough to take our characters that we love and grew up with and changing them to meet liberals views is BS. Make new characters..... Leave our beloved characters alone....
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll just say this:

The better comic books have always addressed social issues. They have just done it with some degree of subtext, with the focus on simply telling a story.

When it’s heavy-handed and distracts, that’s an issue with the writing not doing its job.

‘Eternals’ hasn’t sparked much interest in me because the trailers have not grabbed me, but I’ll give it a shot.

‘Shang-Chi’ looks like fun & I’m really looking forward to it.

If, in either case, the message comes on too strong (whatever it may be) it’ll be a shame.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
It bugs me when they change the race or sex of an existing character.
Can't they just come up with new characters and stories!!!!!!
Or are these smarty pants writers and artists who never read the old comics too lazy to come up with their own stuff!!!???!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't really have a strong opinion about what is created based on an agenda. It's their money and their company, they can do as they see fit. It's an option that I can choose to watch or choose not to watch. I have a bigger problem with what doesn't get made, or what gets taken away in pursuit of an agenda.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel
Or are these smarty pants writers and artists who never read the old comics too lazy to come up with their own stuff!!!???!!
Exactly. Johnny Storm was a black kid and Sue was white in one of the FF movies. In Daredevil, Kingpin was changed to black. In Deadpool, Domino was changed to black. Snake Eyes was changed to Asian. Nick Fury was changed to black. Why change existing characters we grew up with? Just make new ones ffs....
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I should write a macro to say this...

Who Cares. As long as the stories are good, I'm in. If the stories suck, then they deserve to lose money.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel
Exactly. Johnny Storm was a black kid and Sue was white in one of the FF movies. In Daredevil, Kingpin was changed to black. In Deadpool, Domino was changed to black. Snake Eyes was changed to Asian. Nick Fury was changed to black. Why change existing characters we grew up with? Just make new ones ffs....

Just for fun, I will ask you guys the same question back. It's a business, it's about growing an audience. What would be the monetary value of not changing some of the characters? If we set feelings aside and do only what's best for revenue?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601464 249 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.