Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Post 26 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
If you are sending in moderns (that is published 1975 or later) the SCREAMING GOOD deal right now is CBCS's 2 day modern tier. $40 and your books are done in ONE week. For $37 CGC will get those modern fast track tier books back to you in 17 weeks.

This.

Send in a few moderns while you wait. It'll take the edge off your frustration.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm comfortable actually waiting longer. Give me a chance to catch up on bills lol I was charged for press screen yet so I can wait till the fall when I come.come back from.my vacation. So Steve borock , if you're reading this please take your time my submission lol.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
FWIW - I have magazines at CGC since December.

Zoinks! I just looked at the Magazines tab Economy = 195 days
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

lol!!!

and CGC pure bloods scoff at CBCS?

like this guys says....basically anything 9.4 and under I expect notes (even 9.6)
Post 30 IP   flag post

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
like this guys says....basically anything 9.4 and under I expect notes (even 9.6)

That's a ridiculous expectation IMO.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

That's a ridiculous expectation IMO.

I disagree. I get it why there's no notes for a 9.8 but for high grades under 9.8, the owner would want to know what kept it from that. The less obvious the defects the more important the notes up to a point, 9.8 is that point.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I disagree. I get it why there's no notes for a 9.8 but for high grades under 9.8, the owner would want to know what kept it from that. The less obvious the defects the more important the notes up to a point, 9.8 is that point.

It's a waste of time to notate defects that keep something in the NM range.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

idk...my CBCS books have the notes....and I've bought CBCS books based on the notes knowing that there are defects that could press (and have pressed) them higher..and when the FMV is multiples higher from 9.4 to 9.6 to 9.8....it's 100% not a waste from the consumer point of view!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

This video was posted in the CBCS Comic Collectors Club on Facebook yesterday. He just had 35 books come back from CGC. 18 of them were not 9.8's. Of those 18, 16 were 9.0 or above and there was a 8.5 and a 7.0. He states that NONE of those 18 had graders notes. If you want to just watch where he is discussing this, skip to about the 3:40 mark.

Post 35 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Just got the email saying an order is moving into shipping!

This order was received January 28th, ready for shipping April 6th and shipment cancelled when I reported an error that I had tried to correct months earlier. Reaccepted for label fix/reholder, without ever leaving the office, on May 12th, and preparing for shipping today, July 29th

So I guess for anyone wondering, maybe 10-ish weeks for a reholder at the moment
Post 36 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Just assume "Light Bends" for everything and you'll be on target 90% of the time.
That's their catch all phrase when they don't give out a 9.8

I've used CBCS pressing. I've used CGC pressing. And I use my own professional presser.

And yet - "Light bends".
It's an epidemic I tell ya.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
...it's 100% not a waste from the consumer point of view!

Sure it is. When there's no visual discernible difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6, you're just gonna get people complaining that they have the same notes for different grades. It's just a method of trying to figure out how a brand assigns their subjective opinion on an objective condition.

Then you also run into the territory of what is and isn't acceptable MFG defects and in what grades. It opens up a massive can of worms that is better left sealed.

It's also why I think that the "9.9" grade is bogus.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
This video was posted in the CBCS Comic Collectors Club on Facebook yesterday. He just had 35 books come back from CGC. 18 of them were not 9.8's. Of those 18, 16 were 9.0 or above and there was a 8.5 and a 7.0. He states that NONE of those 18 had graders notes. If you want to just watch where he is discussing this, skip to about the 3:40 mark.

The ones below 9.0 that don't have notes should all have notes.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

and i think the worse part is is them charging for a submission for there better prices.

you should not have to pay to be a member.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
and i think the worse part is is them charging for a submission for there better prices.

you should not have to pay to be a member.

How did you come up with this?

Good thing that a competitor offers $0 memberships for submission privileges, eh?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
...it's 100% not a waste from the consumer point of view!

Sure it is. When there's no visual discernible difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6, you're just gonna get people complaining that they have the same notes for different grades. It's just a method of trying to figure out how a brand assigns their subjective opinion on an objective condition.

Then you also run into the territory of what is and isn't acceptable MFG defects and in what grades. It opens up a massive can of worms that is better left sealed.

It's also why I think that the "9.9" grade is bogus.

must not have read my full post? I've had books that I bought where the notes indicated to me that the book could jump a grade or two (9.4 to 9.8) with a press...and it did.....so for me at least...the notes were justified.

Also...presumably, they have the notes anyway as needed to assign the grade...and if you are going to make notes available...why not upload what you have? If you only want to assign notes below a certain grade that's also fine...just communicate that policy and be consistent about it
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
must not have read my full post? I've had books that I bought where the notes indicated to me that the book could jump a grade or two (9.4 to 9.8) with a press...and it did.....so for me at least...the notes were justified.

Also...presumably, they have the notes anyway as needed to assign the grade...and if you are going to make notes available...why not upload what you have? If you only want to assign notes below a certain grade that's also fine...just communicate that policy and be consistent about it

I did. It's mostly immaterial.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I did. It's mostly immaterial.

I guess.....if one doesn't care about grades or why there is a difference between 9.4 and 9.8 we should just go back to the VF, VF+, NM-,NM,NM+, M??

For most of my collection that is true...but for a few books either for insurance purposes or to maximize a sale price the market seems to care about these pesky little # values!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
I guess.....if one doesn't care about grades or why there is a difference between 9.4 and 9.8 we should just go back to the VF, VF+, NM-,NM,NM+, M??

For most of my collection that is true...but for a few books either for insurance purposes or to maximize a sale price the market seems to care about these pesky little # values!

I don't expect the grading companies to teach anyone how to grade. I think that anyone worth their salt as a collector will understand why something was assigned a number in the NM range. If they don't then they are really already trusting CGC/CBCS/PGX to give it the 'right' number.

Once you get below NM/handling-defects-acceptable range, I think that it's fair to expect notes. Similar to how I would expect a note of "damaged box" when purchasing a "new" product.

Agree to disagree, if we must. I know that you're not the only one who thinks this, but where does it end? Someone out there is also thinking that anything not Gem Mint should have notes. I just don't think that's a good use of time.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't expect the grading companies to teach anyone how to grade. I think that anyone worth their salt as a collector will understand why something was assigned a number in the NM range. If they don't then they are really already trusting CGC/CBCS/PGX to give it the 'right' number.

Once you get below NM/handling-defects-acceptable range, I think that it's fair to expect notes. Similar to how I would expect a note of "damaged box" when purchasing a "new" product.

Agree to disagree, if we must. I know that you're not the only one who thinks this, but where does it end? Someone out there is also thinking that anything not Gem Mint should have notes. I just don't think that's a good use of time.

Oh hey..I agree that that people should be able to asses on their own...I used to go through and with my 'OWL' card even and note down the page quality for some of my books....but when I can't see the book in person and the only thing you have is a photo...usually just front and maybe back with no close ups..I really appreciate the notes - acts as my eyes?

As far as trusting that the 'right' number was assigned..well..that's the whole reason the grading industry exists no? to give purchasers who either don't have the knowledge/experience to call the grade on their own or to give their opinion on a grade when you can't see the product yourself to make the call.

like you say...tomato/tomato (but really tomato as no one says tomato!)
Post 46 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
Just spoke with someone from customer service.

Pressing - 19 weeks out
Grading - 18 weeks out

Damn...I guess I'm getting my books around December. This really makes me think about this whole grading and slabbing situation. As much as I like CBCS, it may just come to how long it takes to get my books back. Also, before I get roasted on here, JUST MY OPINION. LOL!!

Ginosdad

lets hope cbcs starts to cut the time off on TAT
cgc for modern i just checked went from 134 days to 105 on modern for TAT

lets hope cbcs shaves days off soon

Those are business days. 105 business days is 21 weeks. I hope both companies cut TAT for least expensive tiers, but let's not get confused by a weeks to days comparison.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
After years of seeing books graded, doing hundreds if not a thousand CPR's - IMHO grading notes are mostly a waste of time. People expect a comprehensive list of all defects. What they get is whatever the graders took the time to write down.

The only useful graders notes are the ones that list flaws you can no longer see because the book is encapsulated. A stain on the interior for instance.

Graders notes never list everything. And on high grade books graders notes have the effect of devaluing the book. LOOK - there are defects on this 9.4/9.6/9.8. Must not really be a 9.4. OR it is a less desirable 9.4/9.6/9.8 than one that has no notes.....
Post 48 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
lets hope cbcs starts to cut the time off on TAT
cgc for modern i just checked went from 134 days to 105 on modern for TAT

lets hope cbcs shaves days off soon
@beastboy1980 - That is working days, not days which would equate to 21-22 weeks depending on holidays
Post 49 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I think the TAT should be based on the times stated on the website when your books were received and not just bumped up to whatever the new TAT is. I think the TAT was 12 or 13 weeks when my books were received.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
When the forum first started, there was this guy who truly felt slighted by CBCS when his order wasn't done in the stated TAT. Instead of like 10 weeks, it was 11. You would have thought Steve Borock went to the guy's house and pissed in his sock drawer right in front of him. The name was grey something or other. Not sure if he even peruses the boards anymore. But it was enough to turn him off of CBCS forever.
Post 51 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
When the forum first started, there was this guy who truly felt slighted by CBCS when his order wasn't done in the stated TAT. Instead of like 10 weeks, it was 11. You would have thought Steve Borock went to the guy's house and pissed in his sock drawer right in front of him. The name was grey something or other. Not sure if he even peruses the boards anymore. But it was enough to turn him off of CBCS forever.

LOL!!!! Gold!!!
Post 52 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Probably for the best as it would seem that he didn't possess the maturity to function in the real world of shit happens.
Post 53 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Man I can't even remember the last time I wore socks
Post 54 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I wish Steve would come to my house 😭
Post 55 IP   flag post
601228 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?