Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user

Just picked this up from an awesome baord member. Wanted to see what others thought of the book as far as grade.book is unpressed and cleaned. pq looks to be white.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Other than that bindery tear in the top left corner, the book looks real clean. Slight blunted corner on back left lower corner. I'm gonna put this at a 9.2-9.4 after clean and press! very nice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@Doc_Cop Totally agree.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I can see a 9.4....9.6 might be out of reach, but who knows.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
I can see a 9.4....9.6 might be out of reach, but who knows.
id be more then happy with either.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Im thinking more in the 9.0 Range
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like a 9.4.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
9.2 to 9.4 I think
Post 8 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
any type of tear in my eyes would knock this down to at best 9.0
Post 9 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
you cant have paper tears and even think its close to a 9.4
Post 10 IP   flag post
and a key book like that in all honesty should be graded regardless.
i am shocked the guy never graded it before he sold it makes zero sense.
unless he graded it and cracked it out of holder.

the book is a big key has to be graded
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
you cant have paper tears and even think its close to a 9.4

I've seen 9.8's with bindery tears- X-Men #221 is known to have upper right corner tears from manufacturing. If the defect is well established, 9.4+ is possible.

Should it be? That's up for discussion.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
All books should be graded equally, regardless if there is a manufacturer defect or the book is golden age.
Post 13 IP   flag post
if i would see a tear on a comic in the holder i would pass up buying it if it says 9.4

buy the book not the grade.

and i would not like to see them grade a comic with tears as near mint

to me thats just not a accurate and correct grade
Post 14 IP   flag post
and why would someone not grade a comic like this

amazing spider-man 300 is a huge key for this younger generation

to me it was graded and cracked open. thats how i think.
they did not like the grade they got and cracked it
Post 15 IP   flag post
i would say this comic is at best 8.0 possible 8.5
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It looks better than my copy, which has bindery tears top and bottom. So I am going to say 9.2, with a shot at 9.4 - if there are no other issues.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
and why would someone not grade a comic like this

amazing spider-man 300 is a huge key for this younger generation

My 2 copies are raw, one of them signed >shrug<

It's possible having the money now was more important than having more months later, because in a 'need money now' scenario spending the premium to get it back from the graders ASAP (whatever that could be these days) doesn't fit. In fact, the required funds to get it returned months from now may not be at all possible for the seller.

Maybe they hate the idea of the book being in transit. Many possible reasons. Maybe they think slabs are dumb.

Quote:

to me it was graded and cracked open. thats how i think.
they did not like the grade they got and cracked it

The OP said it came from a board member so maybe they'll say, if they feel it's necessary.
Post 18 IP   flag post
to me its makes more sense for a KEY book like this to get graded on all fronts.
i highly doubt if they post on the cbcs forums they think slabs are dumb.

I am just saying in my mind i would not buy a book like this raw without it being graded.
not going to spend hundreds of dollars to have any shocks come back to me after it is graded.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmanick
Just picked this up from an awesome baord member. Wanted to see what others thought of the book as far as grade.book is unpressed and cleaned. pq looks to be white.

On the front-
Zooming in on the scan gets a bit fuzzy, but I think I see several tics.
A big one just below the webbing on the '3'.
Another tic two '3s' below that.
The bottom spine corner also has a bindery tear, but not as bad, fwiw.

On the back-
The top edge has something going on to the left of the red TSR box.
A couple spine tics.
The lower left corner looks VERY slightly dinged.

These aren't the clearest of scans, so some of what I see may not really be the book, or aren't as bad in hand.
If these defects are there, I'd think it being a 'Modern' would translate to 8.5-9.0
Post 20 IP   flag post
and we dont see the inside pages either.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
I use the Overstreet grading guide as my measuring stick. A 8.0-8.5 would require minimal surface wear, 1/4" crease is acceptable, minor color break allowed, very slight staple tears, minor stress lines, paper is tan to cream. Since owner states pages are white and photos show no staple tears, surface wear or minor color breaks, I'm sticking to my 9.2-9.4.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
to me its makes more sense for a KEY book like this to get graded on all fronts.

That's your call, and being "for you" it's not at all the wrong one.

Quote:
i highly doubt if they post on the cbcs forums they think slabs are dumb.

"Dumb" was admittedly a over-simplification of the general idea that slabbing isn't "their thing."
That said, I post on both forums (not so much lately), and there are some parts of slabbing that I don't feel are altogether smart, but those are just opinions. The fact that those things are a thing makes no difference to my collection.

Maybe not so much here, but there are many non-slabbers at the CGC forum. I've only submitted 8 books out of 9,000 or so (9, if including a CPR). There is a TON, almost 20 years worth, of non-slabbing, comic book and Industry info/history.

Quote:
I am just saying in my mind i would not buy a book like this raw without it being graded.
not going to spend hundreds of dollars to have any shocks come back to me after it is graded.

Again, nothing wrong at all with using that approach.
Post 23 IP   flag post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dy06msubrut9q7/IMG_20210714_0001.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fovw7dbairg27zk/IMG_20210714_0002.jpg?dl=0

Here are some close more close ups. The book has no tears and the pq is either white or OW. I bought this book off a board member and have many other bigger keys that I have not had the chance to get graded yet.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
i would say this comic is at best 8.0 possible 8.5

The lowest I would go is in 8.5 there's absolutely no way this comic is a 8.0.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector shonuff444 private msg quote post Address this user
This was my book. I didn't grade it because I just didn't feel like waiting for it to come back. I bought it raw from my LCS for a great price. This is probably like the fifth or sixth copy I've had over the years, and it's not a book that I need in my collection at this point. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, I'd rather use the money now since I've been buying a ton of stuff recently than wait for weeks/months to get it back and then sell it. I've primarily been using my comics to fund my sports cards purchases.

(I don't post much, if ever, on these boards, but I do follow them.)
Post 26 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I think the idea that anything “needs” to be graded is funny. I am often stuck between grading or not grading and because I collect for the long run, things like TATs absolutely play a role.

Now, for what it means when selling or buying, I am reluctant to spend much more than $x on an ungraded book. For me my upper tolerance is probably a couple thousand unless I know or trust the seller a lot.

Of course I also ask myself why someone didnt get the book graded prior to selling(since they could have sold for more $$). If in a bubble market like today for some books (<cough> Marvel<cough>, I might not want to deal with a 6 month TAT on some books that I have raw and could get silly $ for immediately (one example). Because tomorrow is tomorrow and maybe it won’t be worth nearly that much. There is also the cost (actual time and actual $).

So it is not a “frictionless” or pure arbitrage to use trader-speak… there are costs and risks.

And, yes, ASM300 is a ridiculously overpriced book for something that probably has 50-100k+ copies that would grade 9.0+. I would sell copies raw for a reasonable price all day long (and if I had to buy the book despite the silly pricing, I would likely find a raw copy too). No offense intended btw, I buy massively overpriced books too sometimes ;-)

As for its grade, I would say 80% probability will grade 9.2+ based on the photos but only 5% of 9.6. Hard to tell off just those photos…so probably 100% my estimates are wrong
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff444
This was my book. I didn't grade it because I just didn't feel like waiting for it to come back. I bought it raw from my LCS for a great price. This is probably like the fifth or sixth copy I've had over the years, and it's not a book that I need in my collection at this point. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, I'd rather use the money now since I've been buying a ton of stuff recently than wait for weeks/months to get it back and then sell it. I've primarily been using my comics to fund my sports cards purchases.

(I don't post much, if ever, on these boards, but I do follow them.)

i understand your point. i did not mean any disrespect . but i see so many times at shows people buy raw comics and then send them off to get graded and if it comes back not to there liking they get upset.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I think the idea that anything “needs” to be graded is funny. I am often stuck between grading or not grading and because I collect for the long run, things like TATs absolutely play a role.

Now, for what it means when selling or buying, I am reluctant to spend much more than $x on an ungraded book. For me my upper tolerance is probably a couple thousand unless I know or trust the seller a lot.

Of course I also ask myself why someone didnt get the book graded prior to selling(since they could have sold for more $$). If in a bubble market like today for some books (<cough> Marvel<cough>, I might not want to deal with a 6 month TAT on some books that I have raw and could get silly $ for immediately (one example). Because tomorrow is tomorrow and maybe it won’t be worth nearly that much. There is also the cost (actual time and actual $).

So it is not a “frictionless” or pure arbitrage to use trader-speak… there are costs and risks.

And, yes, ASM300 is a ridiculously overpriced book for something that probably has 50-100k+ copies that would grade 9.0+. I would sell copies raw for a reasonable price all day long (and if I had to buy the book despite the silly pricing, I would likely find a raw copy too). No offense intended btw, I buy massively overpriced books too sometimes ;-)

As for its grade, I would say 80% probability will grade 9.2+ based on the photos but only 5% of 9.6. Hard to tell off just those photos…so probably 100% my estimates are wrong

a few years back i was in the process of buying a amazing spider-man annual 1 from a comic store in ny i wont name names. but nice guy and all i said we both agreed on price and i said would it be possible if i send it in to cgc right here you pack it up and i will pay so they can run restoration check. i dont want to take comic home then send it off so there is no trust . he passed up on it. said no and was annoyed with me. i said ill pay you now for it and the grade but i want to send it off to have restoration check.
Post 29 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@beastboy1980 That is the best thing about CBCS and CGC (though I also really like CBCS’ sig verification too!) They help validate certain elements of authenticity.

There is a risk/reward element of buying ungraded books and their pricing reflects that. Like I said, there are frictions and costs and so it isn’t as clear cut as you suggested. I have some raw books that I have virtually zero doubt are completely unaltered. Virtually zero is good enough spread across many books as I diversify away the risk of me missing something.

It is the equivalent of self-insuring. I cannot comfortabky self insure on a $10k book purchase as one mess-up will cost me a lot of what is “gained” other “good deals” … so I cap what I am willing to risk in a single purchase for a raw book. My cap may be higher than most and much much lower than some people.

Also, the cost/benefit of someone doing undisclosed restoration work that is so good that it takes a keener eye than mine to discover is usually only worth attempting at higher price points …AND if truly done well, honestly is not as big a deal anyways.

So the above is my logic. I DO see books that start creeping into mid high price points that do look suspect and I avoid. But am I comfortable buying a raw book from MCS or something like that? Or a dealer I have a relationship with? Or some older chap that has a collection dating back decades and is now unloading (and not going to go through all the “newfangled” efforts to grade)? Absolutely - and I have had tremendous success getting some incredible books this way.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597875 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?