Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

2021 Mid-Year Progress Report15062

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So July 2nd brings us halfway through 2021!

Show off your best new acquisitions, Any notable sales you’ve made, Events you’ve been to, or CBCS orders you’re still waiting for!
Post 1 IP   flag post
So far 2021 has continued my trend of Commissioning original art.

This was a warmup the artist did for the sketch cover. It’s too large for a slab but maybe when the magazine slabs are introduced…

The two sketch covers by the artist above were graded and ready to ship out but I caught that CBCS did not properly update the dates they were completed so they were able to stop the shipment and put the books back into the process to get fixed. However, that was just when the turnaround times skyrocketed and I’m still waiting to get these back.

These two books were delivered from the artist to CBC on May 20th. Still waiting to show as received on my account

I was fortunate to get these three back from CBCS this year!

Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I currently have these 2 subs at CBCS.

CBCS: Silverage March 25, 2021
Showcase 55
Kamandi 1
New Gods 9
New Gods 9
Nick Fury 1
Sandman 1

CBCS: Modern May 15, 2021
X-men 101
Iron Fist 14
Wolverine 1
Wolverine 2
Wolverine 3
Wolverine 4
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector NDS private msg quote post Address this user

Bob Layton cover recreation with Bob Sharen Water Colors...

Both were fantastic Gentlemen!

NDS
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
This has been my biggest year for sales in terms of dollars and volume so far.

Selling both copies of Brave and the Bold 28 had me sending my two biggest books out the door.

Although I bought a lot of books in the last six months I think I bought more big books online last year.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
this is my sketch of the year!!

Greg Hildebrandt

Post 6 IP   flag post
best purchases of the year??

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I sold a guitar not long ago and made mid 5 figures on it. That was a pretty good day.
Post 8 IP   flag post
honorable mention sketches from some nobodies

Wally Wood

Gray Morrow

Post 9 IP   flag post
Best books back from CBCS

not the highest grades but all came back higher than expected with help from a press - these are also all forever books for my PC

Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
After some coaxing from the forum I submitted this for press and re grade. It went from a 8.5 with cream to off white pages to the below.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

These three books for $220 inc tax
Best scores for the half year.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross great pickups, especially that ms #6.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders thanks mate.
All three books picked up at my lcs.
Great guy to joke around with.
And he gets great stuff in and I can get the odd good deal too.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I've had some great additions to my collection this year thanks to selling off a few books for a decent profit. Notable sales are a WWBN #33 8.0 for $675 before fees after a purchase of $285 a couple months before and a Vault of Horror #26 6.0 that I purchased for $350 in 2020 and sold in 2021 for $750 before fees. Kind of wish I kept that one, but I used the funds to purchase the Plastic Man #33.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
This year has been my biggest year as a collector yet (with hopefully more to come!). I love DC and I love rarity, so naturally I added a couple of 10 cent DC keys to my collection.

Currently at CBCS (all low grade):
Detective Comics #184 (1st Firefly)
Showcase #17 (1st Adam Strange)
Justice League of America #1

Also picked up:
Brave and the Bold #34 CGC 4.5 (1st Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl)

I am just about to turn 21 and have a part time gig lined up at my local comic shop once I get back to school. Can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings

(If anyone has a lower grade Flash #105 or #106 for sale/trade lmk... those two are up next!)
Post 16 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@jokioo awesome books
Post 17 IP   flag post
So this year I’ve also started buying more books for my collection than I did last year. I’ve been lucky in a few auctions and have been able to purchase some significant books for my collected edition collection.

Among others:

Part of my comics purchases have been driven by the monthly comic book club we’ve been doing. I got super licky that the book club spurred me to some Sandman purchases just before the news of the Netflix series started exciting sellers. I’ve also had some luck picking up some reprints and promos:

Post 18 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Here's something I've always wanted, an X-men comic in the 1-10 issue range. Barely but still counts!

Post 19 IP   flag post
Somehow forgot about this one since I was only looking at my online purchases with scans available. A great cover with perfect centering. Thanks again @esaravo.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector HairlessWookiee private msg quote post Address this user
I've picked up a few gems this year so far. This is one of my favorites though. Wolverine #1 with a double cover. I'll be sending this bad boy in for grading soon.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokioo
This year has been my biggest year as a collector yet (with hopefully more to come!). I love DC and I love rarity, so naturally I added a couple of 10 cent DC keys to my collection.

Currently at CBCS (all low grade):
Detective Comics #184 (1st Firefly)
Showcase #17 (1st Adam Strange)
Justice League of America #1

Also picked up:
Brave and the Bold #34 CGC 4.5 (1st Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl)

I am just about to turn 21 and have a part time gig lined up at my local comic shop once I get back to school. Can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings

(If anyone has a lower grade Flash #105 or #106 for sale/trade lmk... those two are up next!)

@jokioo you sure have a lot of capital invested in comic books for a 20 year old. When I was your age any money I had was invested in consumer goods. Around 19 or 20 is where I really started focusing my investments on immediate consumables. Pizza, Beer, Subway sandwiches. The 7-11 hot station at 2:30 AM was one one of my favorite places to invest.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders lovin that Silver Surfer #8.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Somehow forgot about this one since I was only looking at my online purchases with scans available. A great cover with perfect centering. Thanks again @esaravo.

@flanders I've always liked the cover for SHIELD #2 as well as #3. In fact when I went to the Steranko signing I had #2 and #3 signed but not #1.

Another cover that could get caught up in the "cool cover bubble":

Post 24 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia Steranko's signatures are so aesthetically pleasing, it always enhances the covers they're on.
Post 25 IP   flag post
597868 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?