Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeComics MagazinesWant to Buy

WTB Wartime Captain America, here's a detailed post of what I'm looking for14430

Collector BuffJake09 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

Just joined after surfing around on a few other comic forums and asking questions. I've been learning a tom and thought it'd do me well to transition over here to CBCS!

Anyway, I've been in the market for a Golden Age issue of Timely's Captain America for the last decade give or take. As a college student, my budget isn't huge but I am looking to spend no more than $500 although for a really sweet deal that figure could go up a little more. I am looking for a wartime copy and anything graded or ungraded between issues #1 and #48. I study history in college, so the historical aspect is more important to me over say condition. So a detached cover, bits missing from the front or back covers and pages, tape and spine damage don't bother me. Neither would missing pages... for the right price. Coverless can also be an option, however, I wouldn’t spend less more than $150 and it would need to be an intriguing issue.

I know that my budget isn't all that great, especially with the current market but I am hoping that someone on here has a wartime issue that they'd consider parting with!

Thanks so much! Feel free to share what you've got!

Stay safe.

Jake
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector psucl99 private msg quote post Address this user
I've got this for $650 + shipping if your interested.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Also,

In my search for a golden age Cap as well as taking a deep dive into the world of both Cap's mythos and comic history, I rediscovered something that I had forgotten about when I originally started on my quest years ago. I recalled seeing that Cap had a fan club during the war and that from 1941-1942 a badge and membership to this "Sentinel's of Liberty" club could be purchased for 10 cents. From my research, it appears that the badges were made of both copper and brass but were discontinued sometime after 1942 or 1943 as all materials were going towards the American war effort. This seems like something that is more within my niche as I study history in college right now and one of my focuses is on the Second World War. This would be an interesting piece as it pertains to both Cap’s cultural role during the war and the character's historical role in comics. Not to mention the fact that it may have galvanized some young person and inspire them to contribute in their own way. So, the badge is a win-win for me both as a history student and a collector.

I have found some recent examples for sale at auction, at least one each year going back the past decade, however, I wanted to check on here and see if anyone has one they'd consider parting with? I know that complete kits go for a steep price but a badge alone can still be affordable, so I thought this might be a better route for me. It doesn't hurt to see what is out there! So, if you have one... let me know!

Jake

Post 3 IP   flag post
Quick bump!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Another quick bump!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Bump
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like the badge shows up on eBay from time to time. That's an expensive item. One sold for 305.00 plus shipping on 4/4/21. Another on 2-7-21 for 355.00 plus shipping.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
It looks like the badge shows up on eBay from time to time. That's an expensive item. One sold for 305.00 plus shipping on 4/4/21. Another on 2-7-21 for 355.00 plus shipping.

I had a chance at the one for $305 but passed on it at the time due to condition. However, I kind of regret not snagging it as they are hard to come by in any example and next to Cap #1, this is my favorite piece of comic and Captain America history. I'm hoping a few othe opportunities present themselves in the near future as I've decided to stay patient and sit on some funds for a rainy day to buy the badge.

Didn't know about the one that sold in Feburary though. They're out there, just gotta find someone willing to sell one!

Thank you!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
Bump

Thanks for the bump!
Post 9 IP   flag post
600442 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?