Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

B&B 28 My Biggest Sale to Date14353

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Just sold the biggest book in my inventory topping my previous record of $8,000 on the Tessie the Typist 5.

This beauty will go out to its new owner later today:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vision6797 private msg quote post Address this user
Awsome, love the cover
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TheLJ private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Is it rude to ask what you sold it for?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Is it rude to ask what you sold it for?

Sold for $11,125 on ebay plus it looks like the buyer got whacked with sales tax.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Nice book and a good sale.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Nice book and a good sale.

Thanks!

The book dipped after the movie came out but the cream always rises to the top.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats! Another reminder, I am far from being a player in very big boy books! Ouch on the sales Tax! Lastly, when you start selling books in the thousands, does IRS get notified? Is there a magic number to stay under not to pay income tax?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Congrats! Another reminder, I am far from being a player in very big boy books! Ouch on the sales Tax! Lastly, when you start selling books in the thousands, does IRS get notified? Is there a magic number to stay under not to pay income tax?

Since I am doing this full time the IRS is getting their cut.

The only sure things in life . . .
Post 9 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Aren't you worried about selling expensive items on Ebay? I'd be so worried about being scammed.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Ahh. I have 2 more years of working for the man and then hope to make this hobby a more full time hobby. Thanks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Ahh. I have 2 more years of working for the man and then hope to make this hobby a more full time hobby. Thanks.

I planned to keep working for the man until my job lost me.

Looking back it was for the best.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Doc_Cop

I think that this year is the final year where the 20k AND 200 sales will yield a tax form at the end of the year. From my understanding, after this year anything over 250 will yield a tax form.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks Bronte, exactly what I was looking for.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Doc_Cop

My number was off on next year's selling. It's 600$

Here is link to more information.

A provision the 2021 Rescue Plan Act would lower the threshold considerably - it would require companies to send a 1099K to sellers for whom they've processed over $600, period. In our reading of the bill's language, it appears if you sell $601 worth of items, even in a single transaction, the payment processor is required to file Form 1099K.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/3/1615153514.html
Post 15 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I was pretty much done selling on ebay already. This will be the final nail in the coffin. Selling on the forum (ie. private sales) is the future.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@the420bandito

For small sales sure. But what about larger books? I have a hulk 181 on ebay that got an offer for 11k last night.

I sincerely doubt that a lota folks on tbe board will have that kinda of money they can just splurge and buy....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Wow! that put a damper on things. Thanks so much for the research. Looks like I'll be blowing books out before years end!
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@the420bandito

For small sales sure. But what about larger books? I have a hulk 181 on ebay that got an offer for 11k last night.

I sincerely doubt that a lota folks on tbe board will have that kinda of money they can just splurge and buy....

and that's the neccessary evil that eBay is. For smaller and mid priced books the forum is 100% the place to be but when prices start getting high, your buying market shrinks.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations! What a fantastic book, too. It's been on my wish list for years, but far outside my range (for now).
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Congratulations! What a fantastic book, too. It's been on my wish list for years, but far outside my range (for now).

The 6.5 is still available.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Bronte is spot on. If you're a business and doing sales, it shouldn't be as much of an issue because you're tracking all of the money you've invested or spent (or lost) while conducting the business -- so hopefully you can balance it out with showing your losses.

It's also not a huge issue if you can prove you're selling something for the same amount or as a loss. But if you sell something for a gain, the IRS wants their capital gains tax, which is between 15 to 25 percent.

So if you're like me, who just sells books to buy other books as a hobby and gets lucky every now and then with a find in the wild or has something from 10-20 years ago that is suddenly hot (or 5 days ago, whatever, this market is crazy), it's a giant pain because I don't take the time to track how much I spend on every book. Or more likely, I paid the cover price and now am selling it for more, and I don't have any business expenses to claim to balance out the gain.

Basically after this year, I won't be selling anymore on Ebay, MCS, Facebook Marketplace, etc. I've heard from other sellers that even Instagram is starting to flag the word "claim" in comments because of the claim sales going on there, too.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by it. The IRS knows it's losing revenue through online sales, and it's finally catching up to that fact. Maybe I'll get a business license to write off my comic book addiction...I mean, hobby.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Doc_Cop

A provision the 2021 Rescue Plan Act would lower the threshold considerably - it would require companies to send a 1099K to sellers for whom they've processed over $600, period. In our reading of the bill's language, it appears if you sell $601 worth of items, even in a single transaction, the payment processor is required to file Form 1099K.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/3/1615153514.html

So sell what you want to sell in 2021, because 2022 will be the year where we can finally rationalize and justify having a "Permanent Collection".
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not to high jack things...I wonder how this 1099K form will work for Canadians?
IRS might get my address but I have no SSN and they don't have my SIN #(social insurance number) - so no way for CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) to know about it!

Pretty sure if you are selling used personal property with no goal to generate a profit. In such instances, you do NOT need to report sales to CRA unless your worldwide annual sales exceed $30,000

Think I would be on the hook for capital gains which are taxed at 1/2 the rate of normal income though

Even that...I think in Canada only sales of used personal items (individual items) over $1000 require you to pay capital gains...but only on the amount over $1000

So far no comic sales over that amount for me...if there were I would likely have grading etc. to reduce the amount over the $1k mark...again though...I think it all hinges on me actually reporting it though...and that will 100% happen...wink, wink!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@the420bandito

I don't know. I sold 2 keys on here for $5000+ via private message with no issue. The only change in the future would be to cut out PayPal and resort to checks/cash (or Bitcoin!).
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Doc_Cop

..and that leads to capital gains tax I've been writing about. Hope everyone has been keeping excellent records on what you paid for the books you are selling.

The above will lead to less sales online. Less GO Collect data. More person to person and sales at conventions. Add in the other things like people going back to work and this year will be the end of the bubble.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
..and that leads to capital gains tax I've been writing about. Hope everyone has been keeping excellent records on what you paid for the books you are selling.

Keep in mind that the sales are offset by more than just the purchase price. It can also be any related expenses of attending conventions, traveling for comics, etc. The actual physical documentation only becomes important if you were to get audited. When I buy books I enter them into GoCollect with the total purchase price including sales tax, shipping, as well as pressing and slabbing when applicable. Also books purchased online will have a record somewhere in the cloud, but it's nice to have everything in one place when you need it. 95% of us will be taken at our word by the IRS unless we start making nonsense claims for expenses.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I don't know if its a good problem to have but most of my purchases were extremely cheap compared to prices now. I am going to get railed even if I provide receipts of books purchased. =(
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia If you don’t mind my asking, will you be rolling some of that profit into another mega key? If so, it’ll be interesting to see what you snag next.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

Keep in mind that the sales are offset by more than just the purchase price. It can also be any related expenses of attending conventions, traveling for comics, etc. The actual physical documentation only becomes important if you were to get audited. When I buy books I enter them into GoCollect with the total purchase price including sales tax, shipping, as well as pressing and slabbing when applicable. Also books purchased online will have a record somewhere in the cloud, but it's nice to have everything in one place when you need it. 95% of us will be taken at our word by the IRS unless we start making nonsense claims for expenses.

If you’ve even been through an audit then you would be so flippant as your post indicates.

Personally, I’ve never been a big SWAG type of guy and would never be that when my character could be called into question. I can’t imagine betting that the IRS would take my word for anything. Having documentation and receipts are the only way to do that honestly and the only way the CPA firm that does our taxes would put anything down on paper for us to sign. That firm would not defend our taxes with us if the IRS came knocking if we did it some other way.

Apparently your mileage varies.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600737 63 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?