Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

In search of Daredevil #1 for my son-There's a reason-please read14095

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone- I have lurked around here for a few years now and have made some sales/trades with a good bunch of you. I am presently looking for a low grade Daredevil 1(preferably slabbed) that I can make a trade for and give to my son. I know, I know- who doesn't want a Daredevil #1...but I have a very unique reason I want to do this...

I have shared about this a little over on instagram/facebook...but over the Christmas Holidays my 15 year old son(my oldest) Liam went legally blind. This happened over the course of less than 6 weeks. It turns out he has a rare mitochondrial disease called leber's hereditary optic neuropathy( we just officially got this confirmation). This causes an extremely rapid, thankfully painless, vision loss

I have 3 boys, and Liam is my oldest and was always the one that took the most interest in my comics. He is the one that I have trully shared this hobby with...this has been one of the hardest parts of this for him and I. He used to ask me every night for a comic or two to read before bed and I would always give him something. Liam can no longer read any text- at least with fluency, but he can see images periperally and has a few other pockets of vision. But he is officially legally blind now. This has been a rough adaptation for all.

Because he can no longer read my comics, I have been starting to slab a little more and give them to him to look at in his room and on his wall and he can see the covers-in some fashion (one of the hardest things about this is that we know he can still see a little, but we just don't know what it is he sees). He has actually been drawing and it is a pretty unique way he is seeing the world(picasso-esque at times)- and he is actually getting quite good at it.

He has been in pretty good spirits all things considered- but this has been a 100% life altering event

I would very much like to give him a Daredevil for "his" collection. The story of a boy that went blind and became a hero contains obvious resonance these days...

Now I am not looking for anything free, I'm not starting a GoFund Me...I am just looking to make a trade of many books( like an old school herschel Walker type trade lol) , for one- maybe a little cash included if I have it

I know this is a hard book for many to let go, as I have been discovering- so i thoought I would explain why i am asking this... So if someone on the board has one, or can direct me to someone who does, I'd appreciate it.

Here's Liam- not able to see, but really enjoying some pancakes-
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a book for sale but I find your intent honorable and if you decide to change your mind on gofundme, I would try and contribute a bit to the fund.

Bronte.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately, I don't have a DD#1 for trade (or even in my own collection, for that matter) but good luck with the hunt, @Enelson.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson - Such tragic news, Ed. I really don't know what to say, but sincerely hope for the best for Liam, you, and your family. Unfortunately I have never owned a DD #1, but I would be more than happy to contribute some funds if you find one. PM me if there is anything I can do.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I don't have a book for sale but I find your intent honorable and if you decide to change your mind on gofundme, I would try and contribute a bit to the fund.

Bronte.

This.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Blair1999 private msg quote post Address this user
My wife is legally Blind, and she works for the State of Texas helping other who have recently lost some or all of their vision, so I am huge supporter of anything to help someone with Vision Loss. count me in for help, if possible.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore
Quote:

Bronte.

This.

Count me in as well.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Whenever you have a monkey riding a horse, I'm in. Tom74152 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a number one, but I do have a few Daredevil I would like to send Liam as a gift. Nothing special, not in great shape, but he can actually handle them and feel the pages. PM me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Same here.

I’ve got a reprint version of 181 he can have if you think he’d enjoy it?

If I hear of a DD 1 out in the wild, I’ll give you a heads up.

I’ll check my local LCS. They are usually open to trades and deals.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck in your search, Ed. I don’t own that issue but hope someone here can help you out.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Quote:
Quote:

Bronte.

This.

Count me in as well.

ditto
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I don't own one either but I wish you success in your search. I am sorry to hear about your son.
Post 12 IP   flag post
First of all- a Gigantic thank you- to everone here. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of this community. A couple of you have stated that you would help out if I found one - I really appreciate this gesture. I was really trying to do this independent of donations. I do have a sales thread of a few things- maybe if someone wants to buy somethinng they normally wouldn't and consider that a donation. I will be posting some more books over the next few days
Here is the link-

clickable text

I 100% would prefer to sell and trade my way to this goal even if it takes a while...That being said- if someone trully does want to make a contribution to a Daredevil fund( and I assure you, it will be funneled towards that one goal only...I am many things, but manipulative dirtbag has never been one lol) you can message me and I will share paypal info

Sometimes i get disillusioned and frustrated with the collecting community, but then sometimes it comes back and surprises me
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Enelson

I found this on Ebay. It looks to be very much a reader.

I’ll be watching your sales thread to help out where I can!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie yeah, I definitely saw that. That's why I was hoping to trade...I'm a ways off from that cash wise, but I could probably get there in 5 or 6 books...but good looking out! And thanks
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
@Jabberwookie yeah, I definitely saw that. That's why I was hoping to trade...I'm a ways off from that cash wise, but I could probably get there in 5 or 6 books...but good looking out! And thanks

You’re welcome and I’ll check for potential trades, also.

I was thinking that worst case, you can have an amount that everyone can see and help you get close or all the way there with some sales.

I’ve got a handful of comic shops I’ll poke around at, but it’ll be this weekend.

I’ll keep an eye out for you : )
Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Im sorry to hear this. I don’t have DD1. I’ll check my LCS. Would you mind posting a list of your tradable books?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash thank you, I will get list together

And thank you to everyone again, several of you have already messaged me. It means a lot.

Also, thank you to those of you that have bought books today- it's all going towards the daredevil kitty
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hi Enelson,
Do you think you could maybe use some superhero posters for your son’s room? I have been collecting them for years and have quite a few. I would be more than happy to give them to your son. Just let me know.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I have some Silver age DD I could contribute. I traded away my DD #1 acquiring my AF 15, otherwise, I’d try & work something out with you for that.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Again- a deep heartfelt thanks. A few of you have already bought from me or reached out in messages..so thank you.

@00slim , those are great books, but not something I am seeking. I am very focused on trying to get the DD #1

@Hexigore I appreciate the offer. Thank you

@HulkSmash here are a few of the books I have so far for trade:

Star wars 1 cbcs 8.5 white page newsstand

Saga #1 9.6 white pages

Special marvel edition 15 7.0 white pages

Caliber presents #1 cgc 8.5

Hulk 449 9.0 white pages newsstand cgc hulk label

Still sorting out what I want to put towards a trade and I have sold some

A couple people messaged me and asked about what my son has- so here's a link-

LHON WEBSITE clickable text

It only affects on average a 100 people in the United states, and approximately 30-50,000 WORLDWIDE a year. It is just a crazy, random, unfortunate thing. So if you have never heard of Lebers, you are not alone- because I sure as hell had never heard of it
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Quote:
Quote:

Bronte.

This.

Count me in as well.

ditto

Count me in as well!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Ok- once again- I am amazed by the kindness of people here.

I am not going to do a Go Fund Me because i just don't think the purchase of a comic warrants a dire fundraising endeavor on that platform. I do feel I am trying to do something good, but I just don't think its the same as someone who lost a house or needs help with medical bills(and who knows, we may end up needing that medical bill help someday too lol)

What I will do is say if you would like to make a donation to the cause I will send Thank You comics to you. Or a couple of you have bought from me and slipped in a little extra. Still my preferred method to achieve this goal is through sales or trade. I have a couple different leads on books right now and they all appear to be in 2-3k range. So that appears to be my goal range of sales. Please check my salesthread, I will be adding more later.

If you don't see anything you like, you can make a donation and recieve "Thank You" comics back- I got plenty, and I would just feel better about giving something back instead of just receiving.

If you would like to do this- please send to paypal edwardnelsonnj@gmail.com and give your address

Thank you so much guys
Post 23 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If gorilla glue girl can get a gofundme.....

But seriously, good luck. I hope the community pulls together for one of their own....
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Oh man, @Enelson, I don't really know what to say in situations like this. His not being able to read certainly makes me pause to wonder why I care about a couple of spine ticks on something that was intended to be read. I don't imagine it's reversible, but I wish you the best. I just hope you guys will be able to find something positive out of the required effort and education process that is to follow.

I don't have a DD1, but if you want something cheap in addition to hang on the wall, I always thought this cover was pretty special and they're easy enough to find:

Post 25 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia ilike that what if issue- we actually have that one.

A minor update on the search - due to sales and a couple donations I am about a 1/4 to a 1/5 of the way to getting the daredevil. I am waiting on a couple folks to get back to me too.

Thanks again everyone- I am so thankful for the kindness of everyone here.

Please continue to look at my sales thread
Post 26 IP   flag post
And its official- thanks to @poka I made my first payment towards achieving my DD 1 goal for my son this morning- everyone please continue to check sales thread. As of this morning I am 1550 away. I will update periodically here.

Thanks everryone- I still would prefer to sell my way there, but now that I have a clear amount and a goal if someone wants to donate to the cause,just message me and let me know.

I am happy that I was able to find a copy from someone on here
Post 27 IP   flag post
Glad @Poka pulled through. Glad community looks after their own....
Post 28 IP   flag post
Got a very nice surprise donation package from @Tom74152 today...thank you very much

Post 29 IP   flag post
Just want to give this a bump. This is an awesome cause.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?